• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

remember how small the Canes crowds were to start season 1 in Greensboro? Turn on WRAL and you will see an even smaller crowd for UNC FB at home vs. Pitt. That's the worst local FB crowd I've seen in decades ,just pitiful.

Agreed on Stormy. I do want to thank whoever came up with the Flyers new mascot Gritty though....I can't stop cracking up every time I see him.

gritty-850x478$large.jpg

Dn3mx-bXUAInf87.jpg

Vegas signs Shea Theodore to a 7 year extension with a AAV of $5.2 million.

Gritty looks like a cross between the Philly Phanatic and the Abominable Snowman from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Didn't he use to play guitar for Lynyrd Skynyrd?

The ghost of Ed King .... RIP, possibly too soon.

And yeah, that thing has miles and miles of comedy value but is otherwise a waking nightmare.

And for the record ... new Stormy seems to be Dancing Stormy and I approve. If he can figure out how to throw peanuts and hot dogs while dancing he'll be as close to Dancing Homer as we're going to ever get.

To quote one of my best friends, a life-long Flyers fan...

"Ed Snider is rolling over in his grave."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Seattle City Council unanimously approved a privately financed $700 million renovation to Key Arena paving the way for the Seattle expansion to move forward. The ownership group will present to the Board of Governors Executive Group next week. The goal is to start playing in the 2020-21 season.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-renovation-approved-city-council/1416282002/

I said this before but that seems like a really high price . It's even high if they tear it down and start over . Adjusting for inflation that's about 3x the cost of PNC arena

I get the fact that the Dean Dome was built 30 years ago but I remember thinking that 35million was a lot of cash. Time marches on.
I said this before but that seems like a really high price . It's even high if they tear it down and start over . Adjusting for inflation that's about 3x the cost of PNC arena

Dean Dome holds 21k but it's bare bones. No skyboxes , only 1 concourse, parking is bad, etc. NCAA won't play the tourney there after 1 time since they have so little room beyond the main arena bowl. Greensboro Coliseum is slightly better so the NCAA will play there. Also UNC got ticked off when Duke played at Dean Dome in the tourney and the Heels got shipped out. I believe at that time teams could play at home , now they cannot.

It is a tear down. For comparison, T-Mobile Arena cost $375 million to build, PPG Paints Arena was a little less. Madison Square Garden was renovated over 3 summers, finishing in 2013 and cost $1 billion.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-approves-700-million-renovation-of-keyarena/

Back