• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

The recap of the Flames game last night, stolen from someone on Twitter. Last night, Calgary...

- scored 3 goals, and lost
- saw their goalie post a .850 Save %
- lost in the shootout, with Derek Ryan as the last shooter.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

Mais oui!
The recap of the Flames game last night, stolen from someone on Twitter. Last night, Calgary...

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

The Lightning placed dman Jake Dotchin on unconditional waivers with the intention of terminating his contract for a “material breach”. According to multiple reports, they weren’t happy with his conditioning coming into camp.

We chatted about this a while back when discussing the fact that Scott Darling came to camp apparently not in peak physical condition and if the Canes should have been monitoring his conditioning and what options they might have had when he reported out of shape. The standard players contract has a clause stating that the player must maintain his conditioning at a level acceptable to ensure his ability and availability to play NHL hockey. Failure to do that is a breach of contract and the team can terminate the contract because of it (the union and player can also dispute this of course).

When you are a team like the Canes desperately looking for a #1 goalie and the guy you just traded for and signed who you hoped would fill that role shows up 'soft', you aren't about to hit the guy with 'material breach' because he reports to camp in less than ideal shape before his first season.

When you are a Cup contending team like the Bolts and your #7/8 Dman scheduled to make $925k shows up to camp woefully out of shape, you are more likely to apply that clause and take the opportunity to get out from that contract an purge a guy who apparently is not "all in".

I suspect that the Canes would have considered going this 'material breach' route with Scott Darling if he didn't follow through on actions to improve his conditioning. This is very rarely done, I suspect because most NHL players maintain a high level of fitness year round. But yeah, if you are fringe roster guy to begin with, you best be reporting in shape to camp if you want to stay employed.

Last edited:

Elias Lindholm played with Monihan and Gaudreau. He had 2 assists...one of them a primary on Monihan's PP goal. The other was a secondary.

Last edited:
The Calgary Flames have named Johnny Hockey and Derek Ryan as co-captains. Leopards don’t change their spots.

Mark Giordano is the captain of the Flames, I highly doubt that was changed. Are we trying to say that Gaudreau and Ryan are the alternate captains or that there are going to be more than 2 alternate captains and those roles will rotate?

Now that training camp is being missed, the handful RFAs remaining are getting signed.

The Jets signed Josh Morrissey to a 2 year $6.3 million contract.

Darnell Nurse also signed a 2 year deal with the Oilers. 2 years $6.4 million.

I have this idea that we might hear whenever a certain Canadian team loses a game. I think their coach is named Bill

Personally I don't really care about that either ... unless he loses a game acting exactly the same way he did in annoying all of us nearly to death for 4 long, tedious years. But no. We don't need game to game updates on him either.

Personally I don't really care about that either ... unless he loses a game acting exactly the same way he did in annoying all of us nearly to death for 4 long, tedious years. But no. We don't need game to game updates on him either.

I wouldn't mind a dedicated thread to keep up with these ex-Canes basically because I'm too lazy to look this stuff up myself. :smile(21):

I wouldn't mind a dedicated thread to keep up with these ex-Canes basically because I'm too lazy to look this stuff up myself. :smile(21):

One thing is certain...Wild Bill will overuse Derek Ryan, Ryan will see PP time, be a shootout guy, kill penalties, take key face offs, bank it! :lol

We could do that ... but somebody else would need to moderate it because I'd get bored inside of an hour. Even I can only make so much fun of Bill Peters.

Yeah ... Jäger suddenly showed up with a big ad on every single dashboard in the playoffs last year. Something was clearly up.

when a team wins the fans don't worry much about former players or coaches.

if the team is losing they start to blame the former coach , especially in college sports since that guy recruited the players

if things go really bad they say "maybe that last coach was not so bad after all" :)

Back