• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rebuilding: Where do we go from here?

I know not everyone likes Pronman, but using the Sporting News as a counter is LOL-worthy.

It's probably somewhere in the middle. Pronman's list isn't accurate and Sporting news either, but it was just to show that there are a lot of differing opinions of where we rank as a team and with Kotka.

yup ..insane for me as well

The names are fine but the rankings are very questionable, even the team rankings .

Give it a year and Jesperi will be higher on that list.

All those guys are well over a year older than Jesperi who turned 18 only two months ago

A bit of the convo from the GDT around suzuki and JK I thought I would move here.

JK is the easier one to deal with because he can go to the AHL. I can see the benefits of both playing in Finland and the AHL.

Finland - Away from the Montreal media. Set him on a development path and resist the urge to call him to the NHL.
AHL - Small ice, coaches have more day to day development, learn the language better.

In either scenario he needs to play again pros and do so at centre with lots of minutes.

Suzuki is the more interesting case.
4th in OHL scoring
Easily the best player on his team.
Things he can learn in the OHL - being a leader, dominating, being a centre in a place that he is likely to succeed and gain confidence. Potential negative - too good for teh league and is not challenged enough
Things in the NHL - if he is truly too good for the OHL and can handle 2nd line C mins in the NHL I am fine with that option. He can get used to the pro environment, the professionalism, the practicing, the harder competition. Potential negatives: not enough ice time, lack of confidence, lack of time refining skills because he is just trying to keep his head above water.

In both cases he can go play for team Canada at the world juniors

Holy shit that list is bad. Dahling at #3? Veleno ahead of Jesperi?

The players are listed in order of how much impact they will have in 2018-19. So Jesperi is way down. And Dahlin is #3 because, in their words, D-men take longer to get in high gear.

The players are listed in order of how much impact they will have in 2018-19. So Jesperi is way down. And Dahlin is #3 because, in their words, D-men take longer to get in high gear.

Not sure how that explains Boqvist at #10 and Hughes at #28.

A bit of the convo from the GDT around suzuki and JK I thought I would move here.

JK is the easier one to deal with because he can go to the AHL. I can see the benefits of both playing in Finland and the AHL.

Finland - Away from the Montreal media. Set him on a development path and resist the urge to call him to the NHL.
AHL - Small ice, coaches have more day to day development, learn the language better.

In either scenario he needs to play again pros and do so at centre with lots of minutes.

Suzuki is the more interesting case.
4th in OHL scoring
Easily the best player on his team.
Things he can learn in the OHL - being a leader, dominating, being a centre in a place that he is likely to succeed and gain confidence. Potential negative - too good for teh league and is not challenged enough
Things in the NHL - if he is truly too good for the OHL and can handle 2nd line C mins in the NHL I am fine with that option. He can get used to the pro environment, the professionalism, the practicing, the harder competition. Potential negatives: not enough ice time, lack of confidence, lack of time refining skills because he is just trying to keep his head above water.

In both cases he can go play for team Canada at the world juniors

I don't think we need to worry about where JK ends up because whether its the AHL or in Finland his development will be in good hands.
My preference is the AHL because his progression will be monitored closely and I like the idea of him playing on a smaller ice surface. Also, I think the caliber is higher inn the AHL

Suzuki is an interesting case but the argument that he needs to dominate the OHL is nuanced.

We know he can dominate the OHL offensively and if he plays there this year and his numbers are similar to last some will say he didn't dominate.

But what if his overall game is what needs improvement in that he needs to become a better two way player, improved his play as a center etc...can't he learn that in the NHL?

In the end, it's simple, if the kid earns himself a spot on the NHL roster to start the season with good play in pre season and coaches like what they see there shouldn't be any reason not to let him start the season in the NHL.

This mentality that his development path be dictated even before pre season games have started is old school, the NHL is a young player league now and each year we see 19 year olds succeed in the NHL.

Let the kids play dictate where he ends up is all I'm saying.

If he is ready give him 9 games and see what happens . I think it would be great for him to play in the WJC and maybe be one of Canada`s better players.

No harm in more seasoning and filling out with more pounds of muscle , he is a bit lean .

I don't think we need to worry about where JK ends up because whether its the AHL or in Finland his development will be in good hands.
My preference is the AHL because his progression will be monitored closely and I like the idea of him playing on a smaller ice surface. Also, I think the caliber is higher inn the AHL

Suzuki is an interesting case but the argument that he needs to dominate the OHL is nuanced.

We know he can dominate the OHL offensively and if he plays there this year and his numbers are similar to last some will say he didn't dominate.

But what if his overall game is what needs improvement in that he needs to become a better two way player, improved his play as a center etc...can't he learn that in the NHL?

In the end, it's simple, if the kid earns himself a spot on the NHL roster to start the season with good play in pre season and coaches like what they see there shouldn't be any reason not to let him start the season in the NHL.

This mentality that his development path be dictated even before pre season games have started is old school, the NHL is a young player league now and each year we see 19 year olds succeed in the NHL.

Let the kids play dictate where he ends up is all I'm saying.

I disagree with the bolded part.

Ice time / development are major issues.

Development is key. Cannot mess this up.

If he is ready give him 9 games and see what happens . I think it would be great for him to play in the WJC and maybe be one of Canada`s better players.

No harm in more seasoning and filling out with more pounds of muscle , he is a bit lean .

It is not just seasoning or muscle.

Neither one played centre full time last year. A ton to learn. I am fine giving them a few games if they earn it.

But the team should have a development path for these players and to me it is much easier to learn how to play centre against your peers than NHL pros.

They might be good enough to play wing in the NHL even in the top 6. But that is not the goal.

I disagree with the bolded part.

Ice time / development are major issues.

Development is key. Cannot mess this up.

I never said development isn't important, it is very important.

But if he has a good pre season and his play is strong enough why shouldn't he start the season in the NHL, use the nine games to see what he can do.

This process is also part of development no?

It is not just seasoning or muscle.

Neither one played centre full time last year. A ton to learn. I am fine giving them a few games if they earn it.

But the team should have a development path for these players and to me it is much easier to learn how to play centre against your peers than NHL pros.They might be good enough to play wing in the NHL even in the top 6. But that is not the goal.

You can't have the same path for each player, unfortunately it isn't that easy.

You need to create a development plan based on where the individual is, and it's not as simple as just assuming he'll learn to be a better center in the OHL than the NHL.

If he's insulated as a 3rd line center in the NHL with responsible veterans this could be a path that is beneficial.

Bottom line, no one knows until Suzuki plays pre season games and shows where he is in his progression.

He could be completely not ready for all we know just like the opposite can be true.

Last edited:
I never said development isn't important, it is very important.

But if he has a good pre season and his play is strong enough why shouldn't he start the season in the NHL, use the nine games to see what he can do.

This process is also part of development no?

Well the 9 games I am fine with. If that is what you meant. Fine. No issues.

My point is the connection between development and ice time.

Both JK and Suzuki need tons of minutes to develop IMO.

So if either can make the team as a top 2C I am okay with that though I fear it wont last.

Here is how I think it should work.

This Year: Go back to finland/AHL or OHL. Play prime centre minutes and dominate. (play a few NHL games up to 9 is fine)

Next Year: Depending on development from previous year but I would say a mix of sheltered match ups and minor league time.

Two Years out: A mix of sheltered and sheltered matchups.

Well the 9 games I am fine with. If that is what you meant. Fine. No issues.

My point is the connection between development and ice time.

Both JK and Suzuki need tons of minutes to develop IMO.

So if either can make the team as a top 2C I am okay with that though I fear it wont last.

Here is how I think it should work.

This Year: Go back to finland/AHL or OHL. Play prime centre minutes and dominate. (play a few NHL games up to 9 is fine)

Next Year: Depending on development from previous year but I would say a mix of sheltered match ups and minor league time.

Two Years out: A mix of sheltered and sheltered matchups.

YEAR 3 :

Nero gets in a war in the media , blasts the players and are traded

Back