• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Ottawa is having a yard sale

HockeyPat

Yesterday defenseman Mark Borowiecki and owner Eugene Melnyk discussed Ottawa's future.

Actual quote from Melnyk

"This coming year we’re going to have 10 out of the 22 players are going to be new. Meaning they’re either rookies or they’ve played maybe under 10 games last year. Then the following year, it’s going to go up to about 15 of the 22, maybe 16. So that’s a total turnover you know, which is exactly what should be in a rebuild."

I have to believe Necas and Svechnikov are not on the table. I'm assuming they'll want Round 1 & 2 draft picks and players like Foegele, Roy, Gauthier, Saarela, Zykov, Kuokkanen, Bean or Fox.

So, would you want any of these players? Who would you want and what would you give them?

Mark Stone,
Bobby Ryan,
Matt Duchene,
Zack Smith,
Jean-Gabriel Pageau,
Ryan Dzingel,
om Pyatt,
Magnus Paajarvi,
Max McCormick,
Cody Ceci,
Chris Wideman,
Ben Harpur,
Craig Anderson,
Mike Condon

Well, we've talked Duschene to death and I think he proved why he was a risky acquisition once he landed in Ottawa last season. He's expensive for what he does and I would think the Canes want no part of him after recently parting ways with Skinner ... who is a more productive version of the same thing. Stone, Ryan and Smith would be interesting I would think ... mostly because they all bring the promise of offense combined with some level of grunt work. Same with Anderson and Condon, both of whom are probably more of a sure thing than either of the two guys we plan to use in net this season. Condon is never going to be anything other than OK, and Anderson is older than dirt ... so ... maybe?

I dunno. Ottawa stinks for a reason guys.

The biggest powder keg in Ottawa has to be the fact that they traded away their 2019 first round draft pick when it looks like they will be a slam dunk lottery draft winner to land in the top 3 picks in the draft...that my friends is the ultimate kick in the stones of your own doing.

Mark Stone is really really good. He also is going to get paid $7-9 million per.

That was my thinking. But they are going to want someone to overpay. Plus we will be paying a few guys big money in the near future.

What would we have to give up for someone like Mark Stone? A first? Zykov? Roy?

Mark Stone is really really good. He also is going to get paid $7-9 million per.

Yeah ... I think he's the one that Ottawa hopes will return them a 1st and a prospect at a minimum. Heck, he might actually be worth that ... depending on the fit.

As bad as the Canes goaltending has been in the past, and still looks today...I would take Anderson over Darling or Mrazek if I had a choice for the upcoming season! The only reason I bring it up is because you have to wonder how quickly the Canes may press the panic button if they start the year with continued poor play in net. I cannot see Darling being given a very long rope to hang himself with this season.

Last edited:
If Ottawa's smart (FAR from a given) and Anderson is having a passable season, they can get a lot more for him at the deadline trading to a playoff team (or a wanna-be) with goaltender problems. The problem being, he's still got two years left on a 35+ contract for an annual cap hit of around $4.7 million. He's an awfully expensive fix, but maybe that's a move Carolina would consider if things go poorly early

If Ottawa's smart (FAR from a given) and Anderson is having a passable season, they can get a lot more for him at the deadline trading to a playoff team (or a wanna-be) with goaltender problems. The problem being, he's still got two years left on a 35+ contract for an annual cap hit of around $4.7 million. He's an awfully expensive fix, but maybe that's a move Carolina would consider if things go poorly early

For teams really desperate...Steve Mason never got a single offer this summer and remains available, I could see Mason as the first call teams make if a starter goes down and a team is in a pinch in net.

For teams really desperate...Steve Mason never got a single offer this summer and remains available, I could see Mason as the first call teams make if a starter goes down and a team is in a pinch in net.

Agreed. For a team with actual aspirations of post season play though, I'd say Anderson is a more predictable solution. And more expensive.

There's increasing speculation that the Sens are moving Karlsson sooner rather than later. He apparently didn't report for camp today and the situation is being called "developing." Bob MacKenzie speculates a Western Conference destination with rumors leaning towards Vegas, San Jose or Dallas. Vegas, worth noting, still has a huge pile of trade-able assets of all kinds ... players, prospects, picks. They've got a shed full of pieces and parts ... some young, some old, some tangible, some intangible ... and a GM willing to wheel and deal.

The Ottawa situation is pretty crazy and hard to watch from afar. They were a few minutes away from playing in the Cup Final two years ago. The bottom has just dropped out since then. Feel bad for the fans.

Re: 2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

Sens have dealt Erik Karlsson to the Sharks in for Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, 2020 1st, 2019 2nd and two conditional picks, a bag of pucks, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree..

The Ottawa situation is pretty crazy and hard to watch from afar. They were a few minutes away from playing in the Cup Final two years ago. The bottom has just dropped out since then. Feel bad for the fans.

Sort of like the Canes playing in the finals in 2002 and then the bottom dropped out the next year.

There's increasing speculation that the Sens are moving Karlsson sooner rather than later. He apparently didn't report for camp today and the situation is being called "developing." Bob MacKenzie speculates a Western Conference destination with rumors leaning towards Vegas, San Jose or Dallas. Vegas, worth noting, still has a huge pile of trade-able assets of all kinds ... players, prospects, picks. They've got a shed full of pieces and parts ... some young, some old, some tangible, some intangible ... and a GM willing to wheel and deal.

Already done...as pointed out in a couple of other threads, he's now been traded to the Sharks.

Re: 2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

Sens have dealt Erik Karlsson to the Sharks in for Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, 2020 1st, 2019 2nd and two conditional picks, a bag of pucks, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree..

Woof. OK ... that's two decidedly utilitarian NHL players in Tierney and DeMelo ( I mean, I like Tierney ... he's feisty ... but c'mon) and fairly good prospect in Norris and a maybe prospect in Balcers. So ... two utility pros and the equivalent of 1st and 2nd round picks with the two prospects and then another pair of 1st and 2nd round picks and two conditional picks that will probably end up being late rounders. For probably the best puck moving D in the league.

That's pretty much the equivalent of taking quantity in return for quality, and thus every Toronto fan's perpetual dream of trading away three Marlies for every single All Star forward they want to be Leafs lives on. Because .... evidence man. You CAN get one really good player for a bag of random other stuff. That said, draft well with those two picks and maybe you turn that into something worthwhile.

Back