• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricane Florence

Yes, and it sounds like she got power back tonight. We’re heading down tomorrow to assess and clean up what we can. It doesn’t look like UNCW will be back in session until the middle of next week while they finish assessing damage. Sounds like their science building took a lot of damage.

I wonder what unc-Pembroke looks like. Did a couple jobs there and that place is pancake flat and flood prone. Don’t hear a thing about them from any news outlet.

I wonder what unc-Pembroke looks like. Did a couple jobs there and that place is pancake flat and flood prone. Don’t hear a thing about them from any news outlet.

I can’t imagine they’re any better off than Lumberton, but you’re right, there hasn’t been anything about them on the news.

Most of campus is apparently under a bit of water, but not too deep yet. IIRC, they're looking about 10 more feet of river before they're done. I've got a buddy with a renovation project for the athletics department down there. He's been told to go do something else for at least another week.

A friend of mine checked in with me and he told me that all that happened at his place in the country near WLM was a tree on the back deck (easily removed and repaired), a tree on the fence (same), they are now on an impromptu island and have no clue when they'll be able to go back to civilization, but they are doing great otherwise

A buddy of mine who makes high end guitar amps down in Wilmington ending up losing half his house to a large live oak that fell squarely on the structure. It's kind of a double shotgun house connected by a corridor and one side is basically rubble. On the upside, his shop only had a little bit of standing water in the parking lot and he's got power over there, so he and his wife are camping out there. And he didn't lose any inventory, so he's feeling pretty fortunate.

Most of campus is apparently under a bit of water, but not too deep yet. IIRC, they're looking about 10 more feet of river before they're done. I've got a buddy with a renovation project for the athletics department down there. He's been told to go do something else for at least another week.

Is he doing the track?

Is he doing the track?

I don't think so. He's doing some small time thing on a PO from the physical plant guys. Not sure what it is exactly. He called me with an insurance question because he used to be one of my consulting clients.

Wilmington appears to be an island again. US 421 is closed again and US 117 is closed about 5 miles north of Castle Hayne. DOT says tho go through Jacksonville to get to US 17 South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Landfall in Wilmington is still a mess. Lots of downed trees blocking roads and driveways. Plus, plenty of scammers.
River landing is in very bad shape. Most all the houses are partially submerged. A real mess.

It took us 8-1/2 hours to get to Wilmington. US 421 is closed at the New Hanover County line. The trooper told us to go back up 421 and cut across to US 117. We got within a few miles and 117 is closed just north of Castle Hayne. The only way in to Wilmington is on US 17 from Jacksonville. And the only way to get to Jacksonville from where we were was to go all the way back north on 421 to Clinton and take NC 24 east from there. It only took 3 hours to get home because we didn’t have all the detours, we picked up I 40 at exit 373.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister made it into Wilmington yesterday with no issues. She came North from Columbus County.

The 421 "closure" us a bit overzealous. That's some people's only logical way in. It's not flooded.

My sister made it into Wilmington yesterday with no issues. She came North from Columbus County.

The 421 "closure" us a bit overzealous. That's some people's only logical way in. It's not flooded.

421 is flooded, the roadblock was set up right in front of where the road is flooded, I saw the road covered in water.

Jordan Lake is 16 feet above normal , Falls lake is 8 feet. They are holding back the water behind their dams for now but eventually it will be sent downstream when the rivers get low enough.

There are no major dams and lakes SE of the Triangle to hold back excess water that would prevent flooding.

421 is flooded, the roadblock was set up right in front of where the road is flooded, I saw the road covered in water.

Which road did they "close" to the public? I thought it was 421? Was it 117?

I tried several times to talk my family out of trying to drive home. All the DOT lists, showed almost every road they needed, as closed. But they had friends who had already made it back telling them otherwise. Like I said, they made it back with no problems.

Last edited:
Which road did they "close" to the public? I thought it was 421? Was it 117?

I tried several times to talk my family out of trying to drive home. All the DOT lists, showed almost every road they needed, as closed. But they had friends who had already made it back telling them otherwise. Like I said, they made it back with no problems.

The DOT closed 421 yesterday morning after it had been open on Wednesday. As you noted in your other post, it’s a goner. When the trooper turned us around, he told us to cut over to 117 in Burgaw and take that south. We got to within a few miles of Castle Hayne, maybe 5 miles from my daughter’s house and it was also closed.

people are taking I 40 to NC 24 to Jacksonville and then 17 to Wilmington. I assume that route is still OK

From Raleigh, that’s pretty much it. Of course, we endured 2 turnarounds at the New Hanover County line so the ride back north on 421 to get to Clinton blew. The ride home only took 3 hours because we didn’t have all the detours. Still an hour longer than usual, but 4 lanes the whole way. There wasn’t a lot open on 24 between Kenansville and Jacksonville though and there is virtually no fast food on 17 between Wilmington and Jacksonville. We were starving by the time we found a Bojangles open at exit 364, they were the only place open at that exit at 8:00 last night.

Yeah ... and be aware that if you enter Wilmington on 17 from the north, you'll still have difficulty navigating local roads until you get where you're going. My uncle is right outside of Landfall and he's stuck in his neighborhood today after largely being free to navigate around that section of town on Thursday. Those rivers either haven't peaked yet or are doing so now-ish ... and folks who think this is over are sadly mistaken

Just returned back from Emerald Isle. Only way is 70W from Morehead, 17N, hit 264 west from Greenville. Clear from there. My neighborhood and the entire coast guard road end of EI is a disaster area with water everywhere, dead fish, leaking sewage, etc. I cleaned up what I could and got the heck outta there. My heart really goes out to folks that have nowhere to go and will deal with this for a long time.
people are taking I 40 to NC 24 to Jacksonville and then 17 to Wilmington. I assume that route is still OK

Just returned back from Emerald Isle. Only way is 70W from Morehead, 17N, hit 264 west from Greenville. Clear from there. My neighborhood and the entire coast guard road end of EI is a disaster area with water everywhere, dead fish, leaking sewage, etc. I cleaned up what I could and got the heck outta there. My heart really goes out to folks that have nowhere to go and will deal with this for a long time.

You can’t take 24 through Jacksonville and cross the NC 58 bridge into Emerald Isle?

Back