• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricane Florence

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Hey guys and dolls ... real life is real and stuff, so everybody PLEASE be safe out there. We're missing the worst of it here in the Triangle but that doesn't mean we're safe and dry. Not for awhile yet. So keep safe, be smart and check in on the other side ... OK?

Tropical Storm Warning just issued for Wake County until 1:00 Friday morning. Flash Flood Watch until Saturday 8:00 pm. Expect that to be converted to a warning when the rain picks up.

My buddy's dock in New Bern is 5' above the river. At 8pm he said it has disappeared under the river.

They’re getting slammed. They had to evacuate the TV station last night. The Cajun Navy has made over 150 rescues in New Bern.

Florence made landfall at about 7:15 this morning at Wrightsville Beach. Reports of 30” of rain at Atlantic Beach, which doesn’t bode well for Allen. Tropical Storm Warning for Wake and counties to the south and east extended to 1 pm today. Tornado watch until 5 pm today. Flash flood watch until 8 pm Sunday, although a flas flood warning was issued for Johnston and Harnett counties. It’s not over yet.

The thing made landfall less than 5 miles from where my daughter used to live in Wilmington. Mercifully she's safely tucked away on the west coast at the moment. My old Scouting buddy in Oriental checked in late last night ... the high water mark last night exceeded previous record high water marks before the eye finally moved west far enough to give them a break. I hope Allen is good ...

Pretty much everything east of I95 and south of Rocky Mount seems to be a real mess. Godspeed people.

It's good to see some people still have internet.

Stay safe. Don't wade in high water. Debris, bacteria, wildlife etc. Heck a car can move down flow in 2 feet of water so please, be careful!

Prayers out to everyone.

My mother sold her house on Emerald Isle three weeks ago. Although she is still concerned about everybody, at least there will not be another roof repair, or something, for her to deal with.

My parents' place over in Pine Knoll Shores is buttoned down tighter than I can describe. I saw video ... tons of ground water everywhere but the structure itself looks good. Bullet dodged. Again.

It's good to see some people still have internet.

Stay safe. Don't wade in high water. Debris, bacteria, wildlife etc. Heck a car can move down flow in 2 feet of water so please, be careful!

Prayers out to everyone.

Water always wins.

After Fran, I was talking w/ the woman who cleaned our office and she had her son or nephew with her. Told them about some twit's RX 7 I saw w/ water up to the top of its windows north of Atlantic Ave./Crabtree Creek intersection. Likely assailed said driver's intelligence. Young dude hangs his head and says "Yeah, that was mine".

My brother & his family in Wilmington were w/i a mile of the path as is my sister's place in WB.

Andy's situation reminds me ... most neighborhoods have underground electrical service lines nowadays, but at some point on the grid you're almost certainly at the mercy of a series of pole mounted or otherwise above ground transformers. And those are at the mercy of falling trees/limbs, out of control cars and everything else that runs into such things and makes them go boom.

older areas still have power lines above ground and that can take a while to restore. Just ask people about Fran. They may have to restore 1 house at a time

I read NJ has sent down a rescue team to help out . fuhgeddaboudit! :) I hope they brought moozadell and manigut.

they were delayed - the highway is jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive

Last edited:
Just made it back home from a four day visit to Cherokee. It was hot, sunny, and humid as hell, but no wind and rain, so it was all good. The drive home was mostly fine with a few pockets of heavy wind and rain.

I 95 closed in multiple spots. they are telling people to avoid NC and head south via Tenn - a giant detour

After Hugo in 1989, my aunt took the train from New Jersey to Florida. Hugo wiped out the tracks and her train was diverted through Tennessee to get around it.

I-40 is closed near Warsaw, as are most of the detours. My daughter won’t be going back to Wilmington for a few days.

Back