• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT Canes @ Bolts 7:30 pm

First time really hearing Tripp Tracy... he kinda sounds like Joe Castiglione.

Dangit... I think I cursed them. Johnson just scored.

"That's hockey, baby"? Gonna take some getting used to. I'll take the Svechnikov goal, though.

Games like this are why I hate pre-season hockey. Complete domination by the Canes when it doesn't count. Hopefully there is a lot more of this to come, especially when its for real.

Low-tech video feed with no clock, but hey, it was hockey. Had it thrown up on the big screen via Apple TV.

Was running the audio feed from the radio station via the Tune-In Pro app that allowed me to adjust the audio feed and sync it up with the way-behind video feed.

Just could not take the Tampa call and hearing John/Tripp was way, way better, especially when John was not calling the game from 38 seconds in the Future. Was helpful as we were settling in as we had plenty of time to watch the video feed if he got excited. But synched it up tighter once we settled in and started paying attention.

The results sure was a surprise...to both us and the home team fans. Guess motivated players, playing for careers > established team playing first meaningless preseason game with guaranteed roster spots waiting.

Last edited:
Lightning video (using Chrome) at the links mentioned (audio muted)
Canes audio (John & Tripp) at http://player.listenlive.co/43771

Can't sync them up though.. audio stream is way ahead and can't be paused.

Low-tech video feed with no clock, but hey, it was hockey.

Was running the audio feed from the radio station via the Tune-In Pro app that allowed me to adjust the audio feed and sync it up with the way-behind video feed.

Just could not take the Tampa call and hearing John/Tripp was way, way better, especially when John was not calling the game from 38 seconds in the Future. Was helpful as we were settling in as we had plenty of time to watch the video feed if he got excited. But synched it up tighter once we settled in and started paying attention.

The results sure was a surprise...to both us and the home team fans. Guess motivated players, playing for careers > established team playing first meaningless preseason game with guaranteed roster spots waiting.

Dang man, where were you with this tip 2 hours ago?

Highly recommend the Tune-In Pro app. The non-pro freebie version is pretty handy as you can stream radio stations anywhere, allowing those of you out of market to hear the audio straight from 99.9 instead of catching an audio feed via the Canes site or whatever.

I rarely pay for apps, but the Pro version allows digital recording of the radio feed. Therefore, just like with a DVR, can back up in the stream 30-seconds at a time and/or FF 30 seconds if behind. Since the audio was ahead could just back up 30 seconds and then pause the audio for the small difference until I had them synched up "live" (even though Forslund was now 38 seconds behind his live call).

In addition, with this app I also record the radio pre-game show and then start listening late so I could blast through their ultra-long promotional commercial periods. Similarly I rarely watch the video feed live, recording it on DVR instead, pausing to re-examine goals, and skipping the commercials.

Also record the Aftermath so I can do the same and catch it all at my leisure...mostly meaning fast-forwarding to the Forslund post-game interview.

I tried hooking my iPad directly to my receiver. It’s how I watch Netflix and Amazon Prime, But the feed froze as soon as I connected. I could watch untethered but wasn’t interested in holding my iPad for 2 hours. I’ll see them live tomorrow.

Low-tech video feed with no clock, but hey, it was hockey. Had it thrown up on the big screen via Apple TV.

How did you get it on your AppleTV? Which app did you use? I tried the NHL.com app and all that was on the Hurricanes videos were the old ones from CanseVision. When I clicked on the actual game icon, it said there was no feed for this event ... or something like that.

Uncle Phil was moaning and groaning all night long about the poor play by the Lightning, but man the Canes were in total swarm mode. It reminded me of the Peter Laviolette style with the gas pedal fully mashed to the floor!!!

How did you get it on your AppleTV? Which app did you use? I tried the NHL.com app and all that was on the Hurricanes videos were the old ones from CanseVision. When I clicked on the actual game icon, it said there was no feed for this event ... or something like that.

I used the video feed supplied on the Canes website as my video source. They had it up on the front opening page, although it didn't appear until the game began.

It was easy to get it to my flat screen TV since I'm an all-Apple tech user. Since the devices (laptop in this instance and Apple TV box) were on the same wireless network just needed to click the Airplay (TV screen icon) in the top banner on my laptop and select "Apple TV" as the device I wanted to AirPlay (mirror) the laptop.

Then full-screened the video feed on my laptop and the flat-screen TV also displayed whatever the laptop was displaying. If I clicked another tab during intermission breaks, that tab (like this site) was also then displayed on the TV screen.

It's possible to stream from a PC-based laptop to Apple TV but I don't know all the steps to do so. Roku devices should be able to do something similar.

I was streaming the audio off my iPhone using the Tune-In Pro app to tap the radio stream and be able to move in that stream, but could have streamed directly from the 99.9 website. Then used Bluetooth to listen via a UE mini boom speaker with the "Voice" equalizer setting activated.

Last edited:
I used the video feed supplied on the Canes website as my video source. They had it up on the front opening page, although it didn't appear until the game began.

Were you streaming using Safari on your laptop? Would that method also work from an iPad? When other folks said they could only use IE, I gave up and connected my Windows Laptop to the TV via HDMI. Crappy picture but it was hockey.

Were you streaming using Safari on your laptop? Would that method also work from an iPad? When other folks said they could only use IE, I gave up and connected my Windows Laptop to the TV via HDMI. Crappy picture but it was hockey.

I was able to watch it using Safari on my iPad from the Canes website but it wouldn’t play through an HDMI adapter connected to my receiver.

I was using Safari, but the device AirPlay option is browser independent. Could have been using Chrome or anything for a browser since the AirPlay option in this instance was simply mirroring whatever my laptop was displaying.

Sometimes videos have an AirPlay option embedded in the video display window (same TV icon but clicked within the video display, usually beside the full-screen display icon). But that was not an option on the Canes-supplied (or Tampa Bay supplied) video stream. So I went with the device "mirror" option instead.

And since I was connecting via the wireless network I didn't have the plug-in issues that some seem to have been experiencing.

For an iPad (or iPhone) should be able to go to Control Center, select Screen Mirroring, and then select Apple TV as the device to which you want the iPad to mirror. Since on the same wireless network should work fine.

EDIT: You know, I just remembered when I first connected I got a four-digit numeric code displayed on my TV screen that I had to enter in a pop-up window on the laptop. Never seen this before when mirroring and I shrugged it off as possibly being someway they were enforcing the geographic limited viewing area restriction...although I don't know how that number got there or how it would be related to that restriction.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to going to tonight's game after watching the way our newbies attacked the Bolts last night. They were relentless and fast. One preseason game is meaningless, but it sure feels good to see the Canes playing an attack mode style of game. And even though it's a preseason game, I gotta believe that Tampa will be playing a lot harder to compensate for their embarrassing performance last night.

Love him or hate him, Lavi hockey is fun to watch. Just relentless, attacking hockey.

My highest hope for Brind'Amour as a coach was that he would implement a system that emulates the head coach that featured in his highest career success ... Laviolette. We've seen that puck pressure style work and work well for Lavi, Torts, Cooper and others for more than a decade now. It's not only effective, it's entertaining and the guys like it ... even though it tends to burn them out late in the season. It does't take 5 years of pro experience for guys to play that system and play it well (unlike the Bowman-based stuff that we've been piddling around with) and it's just more fun to watch than the trap and transition crap the vast majority of the rest of the league still runs ... largely because it's safe and you rarely get blown out.

Early days, but initial reports are encouraging. I honestly believe that in order to start re-building this fan base, the Canes not only need to get more competitive ... they need to be more compelling to watch as well. Some of that is about consistent effort and Brindy seems to have one heck of a handle on that particular shortcoming. But the other part is actually playing a system that allows players some freedom on the ice.

My highest hope for Brind'Amour as a coach was that he would implement a system that emulates the head coach that featured in his highest career success ... Laviolette. We've seen that puck pressure style work and work well for Lavi, Torts, Cooper and others for more than a decade now. It's not only effective, it's entertaining and the guys like it ... even though it tends to burn them out late in the season. It does't take 5 years of pro experience for guys to play that system and play it well (unlike the Bowman-based stuff that we've been piddling around with) and it's just more fun to watch than the trap and transition crap the vast majority of the rest of the league still runs ... largely because it's safe and you rarely get blown out.

Early days, but initial reports are encouraging. I honestly believe that in order to start re-building this fan base, the Canes not only need to get more competitive ... they need to be more compelling to watch as well. Some of that is about consistent effort and Brindy seems to have one heck of a handle on that particular shortcoming. But the other part is actually playing a system that allows players some freedom on the ice.

The Cup year was when i got into hockey. I had watched on and off for years, gone to several games in D.C. and in Boston but was never hooked. The speed and aggressive style in 05-06 hooked me. Sure some of it was the new rules (and them being enforced), but the rest was what lavi was preaching.

Would love to get back to something close to that

Back