• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Pre-Season GDT: Sens @ Leafs, 7:30 PM, SNET Ontario

LeafGm

I don't know about anyone else, but even though this is a pre-season game, I'm dying to see this Leaf team on the ice and will be watching tonight.

The game will be broadcast on Sportsnet Ontario, and on the radio it'll be on TSN 1050.

Here's the Leaf lineup for tonight's game:

Zach Hyman - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Josh Leivo - Nazem Kadri - Connor Brown
Trevor Moore - Adam Cracknell - Carl Grundstrom
Dmytro Timashov - Chris Mueller - Emerson Clark

Morgan Rielly - Ron Hainsey
Travis Dermott - Igor Ozhiganov
Andreas Borgman - Justin Holl

Curtis McElhinney/Garret Sparks

And the Sens lineup for tonight's game:

Whoever - Meh - Whoever
Meh - Whoever - I dunno
I dunno - Meh - Whoever
Who cares - Some plug - Who cares

Not Karlsson - Not Karlsson

Meh
Whoever

First unit power-play for tonight's game:

Tavares, Rielly, Kadri, Marner & Timashov

You'd have to think that's basically our first power-play unit, with Timashov acting as a place-holder for someone.

First unit power-play for tonight's game:

Tavares, Rielly, Kadri, Marner & Timashov

You'd have to think that's basically our first power-play unit, with Timashov acting as a place-holder for someone.

heh. heaven forbid you put Leivo there.

At least one way or another, the Great Leivo Debate will be over by the end of October at the latest, IMO.

Either he'll get a real opportunity and prove he's a useful NHLer.

Or he'll either get cut from the team or start the season languishing in the press box again, and Dubas will either trade or waive him.

At least one way or another, the Great Leivo Debate will be over by the end of October at the latest, IMO.

Either he'll get a real opportunity and prove he's a useful NHLer.

Or he'll either get cut from the team or start the season languishing in the press box again, and Dubas will either trade or waive him.

I'm pretty convinced Leivo is our best option in house as a JVR replacement. The combination of size and hands is very rare these days.

IF he's not good enough to beat out someone for a spot then he rides the bench. He knew what he signed up for when he resigned here last year. He's getting paid NHL dollars while he could possibly be playing the AHL collecting AHL cheques.

I like the guy but i don't think he's that good. Every season we see someone else step in and beat him out. Kapanen, Johnsson. Who will it be this year if someone gets hurt? Grundstrom?

The funny thing is Leivo hasn't actually been very good on the PP so far in his career. Much, much better at even strength.

I don't know about anyone else, but even though this is a pre-season game, I'm dying to see this Leaf team on the ice and will be watching tonight.

The game will be broadcast on Sportsnet Ontario, and on the radio it'll be on TSN 1050.

Here's the Leaf lineup for tonight's game:

Zach Hyman - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Josh Leivo - Nazem Kadri - Connor Brown
Trevor Moore - Adam Cracknell - Carl Grundstrom
Dmytro Timashov - Chris Mueller - Emerson Clark

Morgan Rielly - Ron Hainsey
Travis Dermott - Igor Ozhiganov
Andreas Borgman - Justin Holl

Curtis McElhinney/Garret Sparks

bolded are interesting to me.

Grundstrom is obviously right there in the mix. Probably won't crack the team out of camp but could, and should be up this year.

Moore is also a guy who has just played too well with the marlies not to get a look.

Cracknell is interesting only because he's playing center - which is not something he's really ever done before. I almost think that this is a mistake, and that the line is actually:

Grundstrom - Moore - Cracknell

because Grundstrom is usually on the left, and Moore has played some center. and if Moore is actually playing center, then that there is a nice darkhorse candidate for the 4th line C spot.

Ozhiganov getting first dibs at the last spot on defense. They obviously like him. Holl also getting a chance but behind Ozzy to start.

Leivo's getting the first shot on Naz's wing. Thats a great opportunity for him.
Leivo's best performance at the NHL level (10 points in 13 games in 2016/17) did come while he was on Kadri's wing.

So yeah, nice to see them giving that another shot. With them taking Marner & Marleau away, they do need to find some other wingers that Kadri gels with.

bolded are interesting to me.

Grundstrom is obviously right there in the mix. Probably won't crack the team out of camp but could, and should be up this year.

Moore is also a guy who has just played too well with the marlies not to get a look.

Cracknell is interesting only because he's playing center - which is not something he's really ever done before. I almost think that this is a mistake, and that the line is actually:

Grundstrom - Moore - Cracknell

because Grundstrom is usually on the left, and Moore has played some center. and if Moore is actually playing center, then that there is a nice darkhorse candidate for the 4th line C spot.

Ozhiganov getting first dibs at the last spot on defense. They obviously like him. Holl also getting a chance but behind Ozzy to start.
I don't think there's a mistake with Cracknell. Pretty much every beat reporter is reporting that he was centering that line in the pre-game skate. And then with every winger in the bottom-6 of that lineup (Moore, Grundstrom, Timashov, Clark) being a natural left winger, a couple were going to have to play on their off-side.

I agree with the players you've pegged as interesting, though.

Moore's one of those guys who's always looked good in development camps, training camps and pre-season. For the most part, that hasn't really translated over to production in the AHL so far, though the Marlies have been a tough team for a winger to get ice-time on the past couple of years. He certainly did step up in their Calder Cup run.

Grundstrom of course is interesting because he's currently one of our best prospects outside the NHL, and could be in line for a late-season call-up from the AHL.

And then I'd expect that the battle for the bottom-pairing RHD spot is essentially between Ozhiganov & Holl. You could say Carrick is in that mix to, but I think it's pretty clear Babcock views him as little more than a depth guy, and I'm not sure that I disagree with him there.

I was really interested in seing SDA. Oh well.

Ozhi, Borg and Holl will be the most interesting to watch, albeit against some weak competition. I'll be surprised if Ozhi isn't an upgrade over Dermott dragging Roman around for his NHL induction.

What are all the cord cutters using to watch the games this year? I remeber someone talking about the Nic Cage youtube streaming guy coming up with some other alternative, but can't seem to find the post.

Testing out the Sportsnet feed w/ Bowen radio feed tonight.

Programs required:

VB Cable (creates a virtual cable)

Radio Delay (a small program that provides the delay)

Step 1: Set PC Audio to output to VB Cable
Step 2: Run Radio Delay
Step 3: Set Input device to VB Cable
Step 4: Set Output to Speakers
Step 5: Start the radio feed on TSN.ca
Step 6: Press "Play" on Radio Delay
Step 7: Adjust delay slider until the action on TV syncs with the commentary
Step 8: crack a cold one and enjoy

-------------------------

Update: TSN Radio online is already heavily delayed - I've been able to sync it up by delaying my satellite feed, using the rewind feature on my PVR.

Last edited:
What are all the cord cutters using to watch the games this year? I remeber someone talking about the Nic Cage youtube streaming guy coming up with some other alternative, but can't seem to find the post.
I'm doing a test-drive of TSN & Sportsnet's online streaming services, because I want to see if they're any good/if there's any issues with blackouts, and because I figured pre-season streams might be hard to find.

They're hideously overpriced, though, at $25 apiece per month. So once the regular season starts and more streaming options are available, I might not continue with the subscriptions unless they make the price more attractive.

Back