• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

You prefer two in the bush as opposed to one in the hand. I get it. Your outlook will likely change with age.
One in the hand doesn't help me if I'm going on a fast.

But overall, this is kind of a meh move for me. I have a feeling he'd be valuable enough to bring back a decent future asset so given where the team is that makes the most sense. But on the other hand, it's not like he'd bring back a ton, so keeping him around is definitely not a problem.

I would not be shocked if we trade for a D soon. I have a feeling this team is going for a playoff spot.

Of course.

Shaw is hurt, weber hurt, pacioretty traded, no real number one center, defense is junk, of course, of course this team is going for a playoff spot.

Rebuild. Prospects. Rookies.

You need good veterans on a rebuilding team.
You need leaders that are good professionals to set a good example for the prospects and the rookies.

Byron has a great work ethic, is low maintenance, and is a model of perseverance.

Always ready to go, give 100% regardless of situations or linemates.

A cheap and effective leader like him on a rebuilding team is a good thing.

And besides Byron, Gallagher and Weber, there are no veteranos leaders on this team.
Yes Plekanec, but no.

You dont give Byron more term and money than Dano who is 25 and can still be with us if we are any good down the road .

He was picked up on waivers for Pete`s sake , surely we can find another decent player without handing out 13.6 mil at 30 years of age

What was the rush to sign him . Cheap vets are available every August when they are scrambling for work .

This is like Detroit handing dumb money and term to Helm and Dekeyser cause of their character and now are smack in a rebuild they should of done years ago

Last edited:
Byron isn’t getting you a first or second round pick anyway. It’s a reasonable deal, even in a rebuild you can’t ice a team of 20 AHL players in a market like Montreal. I assume you have a modicum of business sense.

Byron can get you a 2nd rounder. He's had more goals than superstar Drouin each of the last 2 years.

I would do Byron for a second in a second rather than keep him around for 4 years.

If they plan to trade him this year or next, I'm fine with it, if he's around at the end of it it's just another case of wasting an asset.

You dont give Byron more term and money than Dano who is 25 and can still be with us if we are any good down the road .

He was picked up on waivers for Pete`s sake , surely we can find another decent player without handing out 13.6 mil at 30 years of age

What was the rush to sign him . Cheap vets are available every August when they are scrambling for work .

This is like Detroit handing dumb money and term to Helm and Dekeyser cause of their character and now are smack in a rebuild they should of done years ago
Bergevin takes care of pluggers.

That doesn't sound like it will help the tank at all.

You still have to teach the kids how to be competitive and win at the NHL level.. there are no trade restrictions with Bryon's deal and its a reasonable number... nothing wrong with this deal at all.

You still have to teach the kids how to be competitive and win at the NHL level.. there are no trade restrictions with Bryon's deal and its a reasonable number... nothing wrong with this deal at all.

Yep. The problem with the Habs, outside of management, was the locker room. You need to keep veterans that’ll teach prospects how to be professionals. Gallagher, Byron and Weber are definitely those type of guys.

So bitch about most of those guys. Byron is better.

Better=better return.

I bet he is traded before his deal is done, so at the end of the day the length of the deal is irrelevant. If he's here at the end of the deal I'll be ticked.

Back