• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

There’s a reason MB refuses to use the word rebuild...because he either refuses or more likely doesn’t have authorization from ownership to do one, that would involve jettisoning “potential high value UFAs” like Byron or high valued market assets like a fully healed Weber.

One doesn't trade away pacioretty for futures if they aren't rebuilding.

I like the idea of prospects and picks but far too often people value them more than proven commodities. I don’t get it.

Poor asset management. Paul Byron won't be here when the team is starting to compete again, no reason so keep him around.

One doesn't trade away pacioretty for futures if they aren't rebuilding.
Max like Subban was dealt because MB didn’t want him on the team, a pure rebuild would involve dealing Weber and Price which seems to have very low probability.

I like the idea of prospects and picks but far too often people value them more than proven commodities. I don’t get it.

Because it's a question of situation. If Byron was 25, we had a loaded pipeline of prospects and we were getting close to being a contending team, I'd have zero issue with the contract and would probably even ask why we didn't sign him for more years. We'd have him in the prime of his playing career at a decent price.

However, Byron's turning 30 in April, we don't have a loaded pipeline of prospects and we're very far away from contending. We're in the beginning of a rebuild and we should accumulate as many future assets as possible. I get that second round picks have a better chance of amounting to nothing, but a bunch do turn into something. Plus, Byron's probably at the end of his prime and by the time this team gets good again, he's not going to be worth his contract anymore.

Max like Subban was dealt because MB didn’t want him on the team, a pure rebuild would involve dealing Weber and Price which seems to have very low probability.

Exactly. People whining and moaning about Byron. Using their logic there’s no reason to have Price or Weber on the team. Of course they’d likely agree. What they completely discount is that this is still a business and while all of us could deal with a full rebuild, layman Habs fan won’t.

Because it's a question of situation. If Byron was 25, we had a loaded pipeline of prospects and we were getting close to being a contending team, I'd have zero issue with the contract and would probably even ask why we didn't sign him for more years. We'd have him in the prime of his playing career at a decent price.

However, Byron's turning 30 in April, we don't have a loaded pipeline of prospects and we're very far away from contending. We're in the beginning of a rebuild and we should accumulate as many future assets as possible. I get that second round picks have a better chance of amounting to nothing, but a bunch do turn into something. Plus, Byron's probably at the end of his prime and by the time this team gets good again, he's not going to be worth his contract anymore.

You prefer two in the bush as opposed to one in the hand. I get it. Your outlook will likely change with age.

Last edited:
Like GG, I would’ve preferred dealing Byron, and think he’s a very good fit for a team like the Leafs penalty kill. Kadri-Byron would be perhaps the best 1st unit PK forward duo in the league.

Should the Leafs have interest in Petry as well, there would’ve potentially been a solid deal to be had.

Rebuild. Prospects. Rookies.

You need good veterans on a rebuilding team.
You need leaders that are good professionals to set a good example for the prospects and the rookies.

Byron has a great work ethic, is low maintenance, and is a model of perseverance.

Always ready to go, give 100% regardless of situations or linemates.

A cheap and effective leader like him on a rebuilding team is a good thing.

And besides Byron, Gallagher and Weber, there are no veteranos leaders on this team.
Yes Plekanec, but no.

Rebuild. Prospects. Rookies.

You need good veterans on a rebuilding team.
You need leaders that are good professionals to set a good example for the prospects and the rookies.

Byron has a great work ethic, is low maintenance, and is a model of perseverance.

Always ready to go, give 100% regardless of situations or linemates.

A cheap and effective leader like him on a rebuilding team is a good thing.

And besides Byron, Gallagher and Weber, there are no veteranos leaders on this team.
Yes Plekanec, but no.

+1

I would not be shocked if we trade for a D soon. I have a feeling this team is going for a playoff spot.

Random thought:
Does anyone think we made a mistake in trading Pleks to Toronto? I'd wager that we'd all agree that it was a good trade.
Does anyone think we made a mistake by re-signing Pleks this summer with the possibility of trading him again this Spring for future assets?
Does anyone think doing the same thing with Byron would be a mistake?

They didn’t do it with Pleks when he was 30. Let’s compare apples to apples.

As an aside, this is the best hockey discussion in months. Let’s keep that up!

Back