• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

It’s a fair deal for both sides. He’s a good player and he’s not old.

Agreed. Still need to ice a team and you do need some veterans. He seems to be a team guy with little to no controversy. As long as his speed holds up he'll be fine for 4 more years. Also, there is no NTC from what I saw. He can be moved at that cap hit if need be.

Agreed. Still need to ice a team and you do need some veterans. He seems to be a team guy with little to no controversy. As long as his speed holds up he'll be fine for 4 more years. Also, there is no NTC from what I saw. He can be moved at that cap hit if need be.

Exactly. He can be traded easily.

Sign him as a UFA in July if you want to keep him so badly during the downturn of his career.

Byron, if he produced another 20g / 35pt season, would have gotten us a decent return at the trade deadline. We're in a rebuild and should be accumulating assets.

Per Pierre LeBrun - no trade restrictions or signing bonus as part of agreement - with those details in mind, IMO Byron’s market value moving forward is higher than as UFA rental.

Byron isn’t getting you a first or second round pick anyway. It’s a reasonable deal, even in a rebuild you can’t ice a team of 20 AHL players in a market like Montreal. I assume you have a modicum of business sense.

Sign him as a UFA in July if you want to keep him so badly during the downturn of his career.

Byron, if he produced another 20g / 35pt season, would have gotten us a decent return at the trade deadline. We're in a rebuild and should be accumulating assets.

Sometimes you have to stick with proven commodities if the price is reasonable enough. While everyone salivates at prospects, there are more busts than hits. Byron has proven he can pot 20.

Exactly. He can be traded easily.

Not if he sucks. And probably not moveable until at least 2020. He will likely be in decline when this team is ready to compete again.

Anyways, the Habs probably should have been looking to trade players like Byron to assist with the rebuild. However, Byron likely fetches very little in a trade so maybe they just decided he was worth more to the team. 35-45 point per year players are a dime a dozen though.

Byron isn’t getting you a first or second round pick anyway. It’s a reasonable deal, even in a rebuild you can’t ice a team of 20 AHL players in a market like Montreal. I assume you have a modicum of business sense.

Byron would have gotten a second easy. $1.1M caphit 20g scorer with speed who isn't one dimentional? Easily a second.

Pleks at 33 & a 6M caphit got a 2nd + a dull prospect and he can't put up points anymore.

Sometimes you have to stick with proven commodities if the price is reasonable enough. While everyone salivates at prospects, there are more busts than hits. Byron has proven he can pot 20.

Will he still be potting 20 in 2 or 3 years when the team is ready to compete though? Probably not.

This team won't be good in the next 3-4+ years. By the time this team might be coming around, he'll be 33. And I'm willing to bet that just like every middle of the pack forward, his production will start dropping way before the end of his contract. Finding good veteran players to fill out a lineup isn't hard. There's plenty of players who remain unsigned in August/September, hell we got a good locker room guy in Joel Ward on a PTO and he probably won't even make the team.

Desharnais had a similar contract, played a tougher position, outproduced Byron point-wise and we were only able to move him at the end of his contract.

What is troubling about this deal is that Byron will be 30 years old this season and will decline during this contract. There is a very solid chance that the Habs will be paying Byron his biggest contract during his declining years.

Oh for the love of all that’s holy. This contract is not bad, not a progress stopper, moveable and most of the youth will still be on ELC when it expires.

Byron and Pacioretty were our two top penalty killers. We traded one, you need to keep the other. Like already mentioned, he’s worth more to the Habs than the likely return in a trade would have been. None of you know whether or not MB kicked the tires on a trade, I’m betting he did and found the interest underwhelming for a 20 goal man.

Oh for the love of all that’s holy. This contract is not bad, not a progress stopper, moveable and most of the youth will still be on ELC when it expires.

Byron and Pacioretty were our two top penalty killers. We traded one, you need to keep the other. Like already mentioned, he’s worth more to the Habs than the likely return in a trade would have been. None of you know whether or not MB kicked the tires on a trade, I’m betting he did and found the interest underwhelming for a 20 goal man.
There’s a reason MB refuses to use the word rebuild...because he either refuses or more likely doesn’t have authorization from ownership to do one, that would involve jettisoning “potential high value UFAs” like Byron or high valued market assets like a fully healed Weber.

Can you state with 100% certainty, should the Habs be on the cusp of a playoff spot this season MB will not deal for say a Matt Duchene?

Can anyone state with 100% certainty that [insert crazy possible situation here] will happen? Obviously not.

However, I think it's fair to say the only for sure is that Ottawa's going to be a shitshow. I'd bet my next ten paychecks on that. Everything else, though...

I like the idea of prospects and picks but far too often people value them more than proven commodities. I don’t get it.

Back