Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 194

Thread: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

  1. #21
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    There’s a reason MB refuses to use the word rebuild...because he either refuses or more likely doesn’t have authorization from ownership to do one, that would involve jettisoning “potential high value UFAs” like Byron or high valued market assets like a fully healed Weber.
    One doesn't trade away pacioretty for futures if they aren't rebuilding.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  2. #22
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    148,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    They’d argue they didn’t since they also brought in Tatar.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  3. #23
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    I like the idea of prospects and picks but far too often people value them more than proven commodities. I don’t get it.
    Poor asset management. Paul Byron won't be here when the team is starting to compete again, no reason so keep him around.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  4. #24
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    They’d argue they didn’t since they also brought in Tatar.
    They can argue that all they want, it would still be nonsense.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  5. #25
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    148,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Poor asset management. Paul Byron won't be here when the team is starting to compete again, no reason so keep him around.
    Yeah, who needs to sell tickets and advertising anyway.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  6. #26
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    54,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    One doesn't trade away pacioretty for futures if they aren't rebuilding.
    Max like Subban was dealt because MB didn’t want him on the team, a pure rebuild would involve dealing Weber and Price which seems to have very low probability.


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  7. #27
    Legend GGpX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    61,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    I like the idea of prospects and picks but far too often people value them more than proven commodities. I don’t get it.
    Because it's a question of situation. If Byron was 25, we had a loaded pipeline of prospects and we were getting close to being a contending team, I'd have zero issue with the contract and would probably even ask why we didn't sign him for more years. We'd have him in the prime of his playing career at a decent price.

    However, Byron's turning 30 in April, we don't have a loaded pipeline of prospects and we're very far away from contending. We're in the beginning of a rebuild and we should accumulate as many future assets as possible. I get that second round picks have a better chance of amounting to nothing, but a bunch do turn into something. Plus, Byron's probably at the end of his prime and by the time this team gets good again, he's not going to be worth his contract anymore.
    I probably work too much for my own good.

  8. #28
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    148,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    Max like Subban was dealt because MB didn’t want him on the team, a pure rebuild would involve dealing Weber and Price which seems to have very low probability.
    Exactly. People whining and moaning about Byron. Using their logic there’s no reason to have Price or Weber on the team. Of course they’d likely agree. What they completely discount is that this is still a business and while all of us could deal with a full rebuild, layman Habs fan won’t.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  9. #29
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    148,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    Because it's a question of situation. If Byron was 25, we had a loaded pipeline of prospects and we were getting close to being a contending team, I'd have zero issue with the contract and would probably even ask why we didn't sign him for more years. We'd have him in the prime of his playing career at a decent price.

    However, Byron's turning 30 in April, we don't have a loaded pipeline of prospects and we're very far away from contending. We're in the beginning of a rebuild and we should accumulate as many future assets as possible. I get that second round picks have a better chance of amounting to nothing, but a bunch do turn into something. Plus, Byron's probably at the end of his prime and by the time this team gets good again, he's not going to be worth his contract anymore.
    You prefer two in the bush as opposed to one in the hand. I get it. Your outlook will likely change with age.
    Last edited by Habsy; 09-23-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  10. #30
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    65,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    Yeah, who needs to sell tickets and advertising anyway.
    remember, according to Altair people will allegedly willingly pay $400 per ticket to watch a last place team
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  11. #31
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    54,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Like GG, I would’ve preferred dealing Byron, and think he’s a very good fit for a team like the Leafs penalty kill. Kadri-Byron would be perhaps the best 1st unit PK forward duo in the league.

    Should the Leafs have interest in Petry as well, there would’ve potentially been a solid deal to be had.


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  12. #32
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    148,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    I prefer dealing in realism.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  13. #33
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    Can you state with 100% certainty, should the Habs be on the cusp of a playoff spot this season MB will not deal for say a Matt Duchene?
    yes with 100% certainty our fool GM would make a mistake like this

  14. #34
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCountofMonteCristo View Post
    remember, according to Altair people will allegedly willingly pay $400 per ticket to watch a last place team
    Rolex will be doing that this season , he is fine with it .

  15. #35
    1st Liner Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cascadia
    Posts
    1,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Rebuild. Prospects. Rookies.

    You need good veterans on a rebuilding team.
    You need leaders that are good professionals to set a good example for the prospects and the rookies.

    Byron has a great work ethic, is low maintenance, and is a model of perseverance.

    Always ready to go, give 100% regardless of situations or linemates.

    A cheap and effective leader like him on a rebuilding team is a good thing.

    And besides Byron, Gallagher and Weber, there are no veteranos leaders on this team.
    Yes Plekanec, but no.

  16. #36
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    148,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Rebuild. Prospects. Rookies.

    You need good veterans on a rebuilding team.
    You need leaders that are good professionals to set a good example for the prospects and the rookies.

    Byron has a great work ethic, is low maintenance, and is a model of perseverance.

    Always ready to go, give 100% regardless of situations or linemates.

    A cheap and effective leader like him on a rebuilding team is a good thing.

    And besides Byron, Gallagher and Weber, there are no veteranos leaders on this team.
    Yes Plekanec, but no.
    +1
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  17. #37
    Legend Habs53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    15,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    I would not be shocked if we trade for a D soon. I have a feeling this team is going for a playoff spot.

  18. #38
    Legend GGpX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    61,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    Random thought:
    Does anyone think we made a mistake in trading Pleks to Toronto? I'd wager that we'd all agree that it was a good trade.
    Does anyone think we made a mistake by re-signing Pleks this summer with the possibility of trading him again this Spring for future assets?
    Does anyone think doing the same thing with Byron would be a mistake?
    I probably work too much for my own good.

  19. #39
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    148,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    They didn’t do it with Pleks when he was 30. Let’s compare apples to apples.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  20. #40
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    148,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Paul Byron re-signed, 4 years $13.6M ($3.4M AAV)

    As an aside, this is the best hockey discussion in months. Let’s keep that up!
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •