• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Covered By The Athletic Soon?

said she would be traveling to road games.

I don't expect the N&O to raise their game here at all, so even if she gets to just 10 road games she will be dominating the N&O. The players and coaches who have been only around here might be surprised to find someone covering the team is actually following them around on the road.

The N&O is far from the only paper that does not cover all road games for local major league teams.

I would guess she won't go on west coast trips. Since they have a reporter in every NHL city now they can still cover every game "in person" without all writers traveling to all road games.

Guess I'll pony up the dough to be an Athletic customer. Pay for someone's articles? What a crazy world we live in!

FWIW, the soccer coverage alone is worth the 30 bucks. And they're kicking ESPN's butt on national coverage, so the local stuff is just a bonus.

I used to pay for Sporting News and Hockey News back in the day. I don't feel like this is anything new or different ... more like a different packaging on the same old thing.

read on twitter she is going to around 85% of road games. She is in Minn today

also the job was also offered to N&O reporter Andrew Carter who covered sports in the past but now is a N&O news guy. The manager for the Athletic Carolina is based in Charlotte.

She's writing some great stuff and others are writing about the Canes as well BTW... if anyone's on the fence about paying up for the subscription, just do it.

Jumped on the recent 50% discount for the first year but was going to sign up anyway once the Canes had an assigned reporter.

Scott Burnsides pinch-hitting through the summer makes for some good background reads. But really looking forward to continuing to read Sara Civian’s more frequent coverage of the team. Good writing, interesting angles, strong Twitter game.

And there’s a lot more hockey there as well by some recognizable names.

Used to pay for Hockey News. This is far better.

also the job was also offered to N&O reporter Andrew Carter who covered sports in the past but now is a N&O news guy. The manager for the Athletic Carolina is based in Charlotte.

Carter was smart to turn it down. He was a clown covering sports, but is MUCH better writing news stories.

DeCock turned down the job in August. And he still has the tweet announcing that pinned to the top of his twitter feed. Maybe he will unpin it next summer.

I'm soooo glad he did. Very much enjoying Sara Civian's writing instead for the Canes coverage portion of the magazine.

And with everything else there worth reading (which is considerable) I'm not regretting the subscription one bit. Nice to have a curated list of excellent sports writers to peruse.

I'm soooo glad he did. Very much enjoying Sara Civian's writing instead for the Canes coverage portion of the magazine.

And with everything else there worth reading (which is considerable) I'm not regretting the subscription one bit. Nice to have a curated list of excellent sports writers to peruse.

I whole heartedly concur. It is great to bring in some fresh blood covering the Canes, especially at this point in the franchises trajectory. I don't want the same old narratives being written when the franchise is basically getting a fresh start with new owners, coaches, roster, etc.

Remember him AND Steve Politi before him. That guy truly hated his job. Or at least that was my only takeaway from reading his stuff.

BTW, I wanted to echo Elsker's happiness over Luke not taking the job, but for a different reason.. I do like Sara's work so far, no doubt, but I think that had Luke taken it, he would have done a very good job as well. BUT the N&O surely would not have backfilled his columnist position with another hockey guy (if anyone at all, given the incessant cuts over there), so Luke going to The Athletic would have been at best a push for us in local coverage, or a loss counting the then-pending job opening.

Last edited:
FWIW, Cecil Harris was insulted to be "stuck" in NC with our meager fanbase and took it out on every single person he met during his short time here, but Politi was a solid sportswriter that was just badly mis-cast as a hockey beat writer. He went to DC and then northern NJ and stuck in the business. Cecil Harris? I mean, he hung around for awhile and wrote some half-assed NY sports-centric books but ... ugh. What a jerk.

I like Sara's enthusiasm and she's certainly an entertaining read. I think she'll take some time to find a consistent voice as a beat writer, but she certainly knows hockey and can write. Plus she seems genuinely happy to be here, which has been far from a given.

Politi is in the Luke DeCock role at the Newark Star-Ledger, a general sports columnist. His most recent columns range from the Giants, Jets, Yankees and the futility that is Rutgers football (1-7 overall, 0-5 in the Big 10, -144 point differential). His only recent Devils story was Broderick coming back to the team in their business office.

Back