• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Whalers Nights

The Canes were first NHL team with cheerleaders right? Also I don't know if Canes were first with tailgating but it certainly is big here . Pretty sure some teams ban tailgating. (And some teams don't have a parking lot for it such as Rangers)

I think the idea of wearing the Whalers jersey is pretty cool. But, hey - what do I know? I'm just a low country southerner, who much like the Japanese, eats a lot of rice and worships our ancestors.

It's trashy, and shortsighted. Not all publicity is good publicity. Dundon's mistakes are piling up.

No NHL team wears the former city's uniform. There are several damned good reasons for that. Classless act. Look at the shitstorm this announcement has stirred up today. Just keep ripping off the scabs....Hartford and Caolina fans both just want to let the past be the past. I'm sick of hearing about it. But this is a huge mistake. I'm surprised the league agreed to this stupid idea.

BK, I always enjoy your take in here but you have to realize this is simply just another way to sell some gear and make some money in a world where that is the bottomline for a pro sports team. In Dundon's defense, it actually seems like more of a tribute to the past of the franchise than being trashy or classless. When you consider they are only doing it against the Bruins and somewhat stirring up the old Whalers geographical rival, it seems more harmless and fun than anything else.

I'm going to wager a guess that game on December 23rd is not only a sellout but a tough ticket by the time the week of the game rolls around.

as the guy in Stripes said, lighten up Francis! I doubt he's really going to be a Flames fan.

Yeah ... that complaint is valid. You don't get to make that kind of comment and then cover it up with a "just a joke" angle. Not on THIS board at least. Knock it off.

normally ticket sales are higher after New Years but I agree that Dec 23 game will probably sell out.

Also don't see any "shit storm" over this except on a few online sites. It's a 1 day story that will be forgotten until right before the game.

Okay, I'll walk back my 'great' for the Franchise to 'okay'.

It's not like they plan on moving or anything. It seems like in the past the Stars did this, or there was talk if I recall, with the old North Stars memorabilia before?

Okay, I'll walk back my 'great' for the Franchise to 'okay'.

It's not like they plan on moving or anything. It seems like in the past the Stars did this, or there was talk if I recall, with the old North Stars memorabilia before?

Yeah, it's not unprecedented. The Nationals did some stuff "honoring" their Expos lineage not too long ago ... and yet still too soon for people in Montreal who could teach Hartford a thing or two about holding a grudge.

It's just cheap and cheesy in a mercenary kind of way ... at least IMO.

Last edited:
I see professional teams celebrate their heritage or beginnings all the time, even if they relocated from some where else. I just sat through a miserable baseball season and watched the Giants and Dodgers celebrate 50 years of the California rivalry after moving from New York all season long.

Pro teams also do all kinds of wacky marketing stuff, like Star Wars night, all over the country and in practically every Sports league. I think the difference with this move is no team, to best of my memory, has actually worn the old city's uniform for a regular season game. That is the line Dundon has crossed here and I am not sure how I feel about it. It is great to embrace the history, even celebrate it, and I like selling the old jerseys but this feels odd to me.

I will be interested to see if this becomes more widespread around the league or is just something he and the Canes get ridiculed for. It could go either way.

The Wild wore North Stars jerseys and that's not even the same franchise.

MLB teams have worn Negro league team jerseys, the nationals and Pirates both wore Homestead grays jerseys since the grays played in DC and Pittsburgh.

Kids like this which is to be expected because they are all about retro stuff.

Pro teams also do all kinds of wacky marketing stuff, like Star Wars night, all over the country and in practically every Sports league. I think the difference with this move is no team, to best of my memory, has actually worn the old city's uniform for a regular season game. That is the line Dundon has crossed here and I am not sure how I feel about it. It is great to embrace the history, even celebrate it, and I like selling the old jerseys but this feels odd to me.

I will be interested to see if this becomes more widespread around the league or is just something he and the Canes get ridiculed for. It could go either way.

I think the reaction is likely to be limited to the hockey press and that klatch of websites who make fun of sports for a living. Otherwise, nobody really cares what the heck goes on in the NHL. And most of those people are inclined to point and laugh at our franchise no matter what we do ... see the reaction to Dundon firing Francis or "running off" Bill Peters. Both moves being either completely reasonable given results (at least) or obviously long over-due (at worst).

IMO you don't make decisions like that based on perception anyway. Again, I don't like it and I think it's cheesy, but I'm not fired up about it one way or the other.

Bring Chuck back for the Whaler night on December 23rd, do something nice for the man and give him a banner up in the rafters or name the Canes press box in his honor. Drop Petey Pablo that night and play Brass Bonanza early and often! Life's too short to be mad and angry at things like this...

Bring Chuck back for the Whaler night on December 23rd, do something nice for the man and give him a banner up in the rafters or name the Canes press box in his honor. Drop Petey Pablo that night and play Brass Bonanza early and often! Life's too short to be mad and angry at things like this...
I don't think this is likely to happen, but if they could work things out (and settle some sore feelings) that would be an incredibly classy move. And it would allow fans to express their appreciation for Chuck.

Throwback jerseys are not be same thing.

Had Carolina not been the recipient of 20 years of insults and ridicule this might not be an issue. But we have caught more shit than ANY other relocation destination. A lot of that is Karmamos' fault, and a lot of it is just ignorance. But I'm really sick of it. And its not going away anytime soon. This publicity stunt, isnt helping matters at all.

I'm sticking to my guns of calling it trashy and classless.

There are numerous reasons why Colorado has never worn the Nords sweater, etc. This is not ground I want to break. This is not MLB. This is not just a throwback jersey.

Back