• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Caps 9/28 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Next to last preseason game in Washington. Brindy says “There's four or five guys in the lineup tonight who have a lot riding on tonight's game."

Per Michael Smith, this is the lineup tonight:

Foegele-Aho-Teravainen
Zykov-Necas-Di Giuseppe
Kuokkanen-Wallmark-Svechnikov
Maenalanen-McKegg-Brown

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Pesce

Mrazek
Darling

Mrazek will probably play the whole game, as Darling did on Tuesday.

Looks like a pretty full strength Caps lineup tonight. The top 6 are the regulars, Smith-Pelly makes his preseason debut.

https://twitter.com/capitals/status/1045663068385136641?s=21

No TV or web simulcast tonight, it’s radio only.

Dundon just tweeted that the game will be simulcast on the website. The bad news is that it will probably be the Caps feed with Beninati and Laughlin.

Based on these skaters/lines and Brindy's comments, here's my stab at the guys with "a lot on the line"

Foegele-Aho-Teravainen
Zykov-Necas-Di Giuseppe
Kuokkanen-Wallmark-Svechnikov
Maenalanen-McKegg-Brown
Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Pesce

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Defense
Van Reimsdyk and Pesce both have something riding on this game. Pesce has his long term slot sewn up but he needs to show he's back in top 6 physical condition fairly soon so they can start working on actual pairings. TVR is on the cusp between extra and regular. He's got plenty of skin in the game.

Forwards
Aho has a lot going on, but it's really just continuing to remember how to play center. I'd say the team has more on the line in his situation than Aho does.

Zykov and PDG both need to continue to build on strong starts to the pre season to cement their roles. I think PDG is going to start out as an extra, but he needs to keep earning it. Zykov has done enough to hold down. top 9 spot, but he's in the same boat. Keep it up.

Wallmark has a lot riding on the remaining pre season. He's played well so far but needs to finish the job.

Best guess ... that whole 4th line and Kuokkanen are heading to Charlotte eventually, barring something unusual happening in the meantime.

there are ways around local restrictions on streaming such as using a VPN . Also there are various non legal websites that stream games .

there are ways around local restrictions on streaming such as using a VPN . Also there are various non legal websites that stream games .
Yeah, i just hate downloading suspicious crap. The Canes NHL app does a decent job of posting highlight videos. That should tide me over until NHL center ice kicks in.

Wallmark has a lot riding on the remaining pre season. He's played well so far but needs to finish the job.

Best guess ... that whole 4th line and Kuokkanen are heading to Charlotte eventually, barring something unusual happening in the meantime.

Maenalanen and McKegg might have an outside shot, McKegg especially, if Brindy decides to move Aho back to wing as it will open up 4C. McKegg has 91 NHL games under his belt, so he has some experience. But that has the dual effect of making Wallmark 3C. He's playing that role tonight, so we'll see.

So wait....

Ferland-Necas-Williams
Zykov-Staal-Svechnikov
Aho-Wallmark-Teravainen
McGinn-McKegg-Martinook

PDG?

Don't see that, where would Foegele be in that lineup? McKegg and Wallmark won't both make it.

So wait....

Ferland-Necas-Williams
Zykov-Staal-Svechnikov
Aho-Wallmark-Teravainen
McGinn-McKegg-Martinook

PDG?

Don't see that, where would Foegele be in that lineup? McKegg and Wallmark won't both make it.

I forgot about Martinook. Wallmark would have to be 3C by default so Martinook is 4C. Martinook has a career 44.7% winning percentage on 1,178 faceoffs over 247 games. Most of that was in 2016-17, where he took 1,037 faceoffs in 77 games and winning 44.4% Last year, he was 36.4% on 107 faceoffs in 81 games so he had to spend most of the year on the wing.

The lack of a 4th line center would be a problem, mostly because of faceoffs. Martinook might be capable of taking on the center role after the puck is dropped, but normally you don't want your 4th line getting killed in the faceoff dot. Again regardless of Aho at center or no, I expect to a see Jordan Staal taking so many draws until Rask returns (or we trade for another center) that he will have little time for his own regular shifts. He's going to play a whole heck of a lot of minutes, even if some of them are taking key draws and getting off the ice.

Foegele added to Aho and Teravainen's line...2 goals for that line in the first period 2 assists for Foegele. Congrats kid, your roster spot is secured!

Foegele added to Aho and Teravainen's line...2 goals for that line in the first period 2 assists for Foegele. Congrats kid, your roster spot is secured!

He could end up winning this year’s Bates Battaglia award, as the first player to play on all 4 lines. Unlike previous recipients, his 4th line duty wouldn’t be punishment, he could add scoring pop and speed to any line.

I remember when we drafted him. He was the rare draftee coming out of Canadian high school, not juniors or even a AAA program. More than 1 of the hockey experts said he was a steal in the 3rd round. It’s taken 4 years but he could be our best player from the 2014 draft.

Aho was 10-6 on faceoffs, 3-3 vs. Backstrom, 2-2 vs. Eller but 2-0 against both Dowd and Kuznetsov. Wallmark was 7-2, going 5-0 vs. Kuznetsov. McKegg was 5-6, 2-4 vs. Dowd, 1-1 vs. Eller. Necas was 4-6, 0-2 vs. Backstrom, 2-1 vs. Eller, 2-2 vs. Kuznetsov (who was awful in the circle, 3-9 with his other win against Brown).

It was good to see how the Canes performed when things get tight in a game. They had a few unforced errors, but they didn't panic and they didn't fold. Loved watching the OT win and the chemistry between Teravainen and Aho.

Not a fan of 3 v 3 for OT would rather see a 10 min OT with 4 v 4. To me 3 v 3 is just too much of a change . adding another 5 minutes to OT is not that much of a change.

I didn't enjoy the 3-on-3 OT nearly as much when we had insufficient talent and seemingly no coaching knowledge as to how to play that way (2 D, 1 F ?!?).

But watching Aho push the puck up the ice on the very first shift of OT past his defender, Necas leave his man in the (ice) dust, and then watching those two skillfully execute a two-on-none give-and-go with the backhand return pass from Necas to Aho...well...that was fun! :-D

Last edited:
Had Forslund/Tripp synched up to the video feed again last night with video on the big screen.

Also opened the free version of the Tune-Inn app last night (pro version allows recording so I haven't used the free version for a few years) and discovered it also lets you manipulate the audio stream (FF, RW, Pause). Don't need the pay version if that feature is all you're after.

So since the radio call is always ahead of the video stream it's easy enough to get them synched up if you listen to the radio stream through that app.

John was running nearly 30 seconds ahead of the video again last night. But I just wait for a dramatic event (big save, goal, or hit) that he instantaneously reacts to in his call, count how many seconds he is ahead, and pause for that amount of time. Repeat until simultaneous.

If you overshoot, FF 30 seconds (handy for blitzing through commercials on recorded shows) and adjust again.

It was good to see how the Canes performed when things get tight in a game. They had a few unforced errors, but they didn't panic and they didn't fold. Loved watching the OT win and the chemistry between Teravainen and Aho.

Three offensive zones penalties for Svechnikov, the first led to Ovechin’s PP goal.

Back