• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Preds 9/30 1:30

Barring injury, I expect Zykov to be out there for the opener and PDG to be scratched. I also expect TVR to be in there for Fleury for the opener unless there is a late stunner of a trade this week. The lines will be interesting for the opener because Zykov in the lineup forces someone to slide down and really a lot of shifting of lines.

Lots of uncertainty about the extent of Darling's injury. Still 3 days before the opener, I expect the Canes to use all 3 of those days before making a decision on what to do. If Darling cannot play I don't at all expect the Canes to go out and sign someone else...its going to be Neds with Mrazek as the #1 until Darling can play again.

Agreed. This team is in no position to carry three NHL goaltending contracts. If Darling (or Mrazek for that matter) can't go at any point, look for Neds to back up for how ever long it takes. If you're a legit contender or it's late in the season and you're still in the hunt ... THEN you go the three goalies route. Not now.

Barring injury, I expect Zykov to be out there for the opener and PDG to be scratched. I also expect TVR to be in there for Fleury for the opener unless there is a late stunner of a trade this week. The lines will be interesting for the opener because Zykov in the lineup forces someone to slide down and really a lot of shifting of lines.

I'm agreeing with you a lot this morning. Knock it off :0)

But yeah ... Zykov made himself indispensable on the power play and certainly didn't play his way out of a job otherwise. I fully expect them to juggle him into the forward lines for opening night. And I agree that PDG is the most likely candidate to give way. He's been frisky enough, but still struggles to be effective in possession.

On D, I was really hoping that Fleury would have a strong pre season but instead he's been all over the place. He's made some positive plays, but he also just keeps churning out ugly mistakes.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if the Canes go trolling on the waiver wire because there are a handful of teams that will try and pass some decent players through the waiver wire in the next couple of days to get their rosters down. I could easily see a player like PDG or Wallmark replaced by a waiver wire center pickup if it was someone that the Canes feel could shore up the middle. I also agree with JB that the Canes should not be carrying 3 NHL goalie contracts so the chances of finding help at goaltender via trade or waivers if Darling is out a few weeks seems unlikely.

Leafs will be putting both Curtis McElhinney (11-5-1, 2.14, 0.934 last year) and Calvin Pickard on waivers to keep Sparks as their backup.

Well...we COULD claim one of those guys, then waive them when Darling is ready again in hopes that at a minimum the Leafs would claim them back. The risk of course is if no one claims them when you put them back out on waivers you are stuck trying to find a place for them (and paying them).

I don't think the Canes are going to play that game unless we find out that Darling is expected to be out for months. At what point are you effectively telling Neds that he will never get a chance here? I would rather roll with Neds, find out he can't be effective and at that point pursue another #3.

Leafs will be putting both Curtis McElhinney (11-5-1, 2.14, 0.934 last year) and Calvin Pickard on waivers to keep Sparks as their backup.

If McElhinney could be even vaguely trusted to have the same results year to year, then that would be a good shout. Poor Goalie Ned is nowhere near ready to even back up in the NHL. But I'm afraid that at his age, asking him to actually be decent three seasons in a row is seriously pushing it.

If McElhinney could be even vaguely trusted to have the same results year to year, then that would be a good shout. Poor Goalie Ned is nowhere near ready to even back up in the NHL. But I'm afraid that at his age, asking him to actually be decent three seasons in a row is seriously pushing it.

Mrazek and a kid like Ned thrown to the wolves for even 2-3 weeks is kinda scary to think about. This team cannot afford another dismal start out of the gate, hopefully Darling is day to day and not week to week.

Back