• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Preds 9/30 1:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The last preseason game and the Caniac Carnival wrapped up in one event.

If you don’t have a ticket for the game, you’re SOL. Tickets were distributed online and they’re all gone. All seats are general admission with STM getting in at noon, everyone else at 12:15. How they’re going to control that is anyone’s guess.

The Canes made final cuts yesterday, getting the roster down to 23 including Rask. All that is left is figuring out the lines. Coach Brindy said they’re still being evaluated. However, based on their performance in Washington on Friday, I think that Foegele/Aho/Teravainen is a pretty safe bet. Micheal Ferland was expected to miss the rest of preseason with a lower body injury but he might play today.

The game will be simulcast on the Canes website.

Caniac Carnival runs from 10-3. If you’re going to the game, Dundon will do a ”State of the Canes” at 12:45 with The Mighty Forslund. Darren Yorke, Director of Player Personnel will speak during the 1st intermission and Don Waddell will speak during the 2nd intermission.

The fight for seats once the masses are let in is what will make this exercise interesting to say the least! And pack a catheter too because if you get up to pee your seat will be gone in an instant.

Section 328 tweeted that they have friends with extra tickets. If you’re intersted, send them a DM on Twitter.

I have 2 extra tickets. Message me with your email address if you want them.

Edit: claimed

Last edited:
Here is the lineup per Michael Smith. Ferland does draw back in, Svechnikov on the 4th line with Martinook and Wallmark. Zykov and TVR are the scratches.

Foegele-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Necas-Di Giuseppe
Martinook-Wallmark-Svechnikov

Slavin-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk
Fleury-Hamilton

Darling
Mrazek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be interesting to see how the even-strength minutes pan out, but Martinook - Wallmark - Svechnikov might be the "third line" (first secondary scoring line) and Ferland (being eased back into the lineup) - Necas - Di Giuseppe are the fourth (second secondary scoring line).

Also look for Svechnikov and Di Giuseppe to switch lines as the game progresses and coach sees how both Necas and Svechnikov are playing.

I like that Foegele - Aho - Teravainen line.

Very chippy game. Three penalties on Foegele, 2 were legit. Subban assing it up all over the ice. Refs in mid season suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like hamstring for Darling so that's probably a couple weeks at least to recover.

Depends on the severity but that sounds right. He hurt himself flopping all over the place as the defense stood around watching. We thought he was going to come out when Rinne did because he skated to the bench but that might have been to give Mrazek a heads up.

You could tell it was going to be a bad game for the refs when Necas was called for cross checking.

Cannot take that many penalties when things start to count. 5 on 3 remains a disaster.

You could tell it was going to be a bad game for the refs when Necas was called for cross checking.

Cannot take that many penalties when things start to count. 5 on 3 remains a disaster.

The refs were beyond bad, how that is considered acceptable NHL officiating is beyond me. Par for the course I guess.

It was a heavy Canes effort from a physical standpoint we usually never see, that was refreshing from the past, guys finishing checks early and often.

Justin Faulk continues to plug along doing nothing as usual.

Darling at least competed hard, his defense in front of him was questionable at times but at least Darling looked engaged and battled.

Great vibe in the building!

Penalty kill was bad today too. Nashville was 2 for 8 and on their first PP goal, the Canes couldn’t clear the zone. All 4 players, Staal, PDG, Fleury and Hamilton we’re out for the entire 1:36.

Thought our PP took a huge step backwards - back to last season, that is. Much of this game looked like the Canes of old. I hadn't noticed too much of the pass back to the trailer before gaining entrance to the zone on the PP, but for some reason it appears to be in vogue again - and it heralded a painfully plodding PP. Slow, predictable passes. Sure we scored, but it was awful to watch, as was most of the game because of all of the penalties. C'mon Canes! Let's see less of this and more of what you were doing in the previous 5 games.

Lots of uncertainty about the extent of Darling's injury. Still 3 days before the opener, I expect the Canes to use all 3 of those days before making a decision on what to do. If Darling cannot play I don't at all expect the Canes to go out and sign someone else...its going to be Neds with Mrazek as the #1 until Darling can play again.

Thought our PP took a huge step backwards - back to last season, that is. Much of this game looked like the Canes of old. I hadn't noticed too much of the pass back to the trailer before gaining entrance to the zone on the PP, but for some reason it appears to be in vogue again - and it heralded a painfully plodding PP. Slow, predictable passes. Sure we scored, but it was awful to watch, as was most of the game because of all of the penalties. C'mon Canes! Let's see less of this and more of what you were doing in the previous 5 games.

I partly blame that on the lack of Zykov... He's the only one that really seems to like the front of the net.

Back