• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shea Weber named captain

C.jpg

Weber is the right choice, Gallagher doesn't need additional responsibilities or pressure.

The big surprise here is Byron being given an A.

Not surprised, the consensus was Byron and Gallagher were the only two players who tried last year. Niemi came too late, Weber was hurt.

Last edited:
It make sense even if I would have prefered it would be Gallagher. I do understand that the additionnal pressure on an offencive player to be named captain and having to answer to questions every nights, espicially when you are not producing is hard. Weber is expected to drop off in production so he will be more of a defencive defencman as the year goes on.

I wouldn't be suprised if they asked Gallagher and he said Weber should be it. That's also a possibility.

It make sense even if I would have prefered it would be Gallagher. I do understand that the additionnal pressure on an offencive player to be named captain and having to answer to questions every nights, espicially when you are not producing is hard. Weber is expected to drop off in production so he will be more of a defencive defencman as the year goes on.

I wouldn't be suprised if they asked Gallagher and he said Weber should be it. That's also a possibility.

I like gally as a guy who doesn't get too up, doesnt get too low emotionally.

But he can't beat Webers complete and total lack of emotion.

I like gally as a guy who doesn't get too up, doesnt get too low emotionally.

But he can't beat Webers complete and total lack of emotion.
I'd just rather not put the pressure on Gallagher. Giving him the C might make him think he has to do it all himself. He'd the perfect secondary player, so having an A makes sense.

Only problem with naming Weber as Captain is that confirms that MB has no thoughts about dealing him anytime soon. Part of me still hoped that management would at least be thinking about unloading him in the near future, once he's back from injury.

I'd just rather not put the pressure on Gallagher. Giving him the C might make him think he has to do it all himself. He'd the perfect secondary player, so having an A makes sense.

Only problem with naming Weber as Captain is that confirms that MB has no thoughts about dealing him anytime soon. Part of me still hoped that management would at least be thinking about unloading him in the near future, once he's back from injury.

The captaincy has been a revolving door since Koivu left. You gotta think that MB essentially has 1 or maybe 2 years left here as the GM. Weber's MTL lifeline probably rests on MB's remaining tenure.

Really, I have no issue with Weber being the Captain right now. It's gonna be a rough couple years in Montreal - his robot like responses are probably best suited to handle the crap the captain will have thrown at him for now.

Back