• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Here's Your New Goalie!

Re: 2018-19 Canes Pre-Season Thread

G Curtis McElhinney just claimed off waivers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_McElhinney

played well last year as a backup in Toronto

That is probably the smartest move because when the time comes (hopefully in a couple of weeks), you waive McElhinney and Toronto can reclaim him and send him directly to the AHL (unless some other team claims him). That is less risky then signing someone else who probably would not be claimed off of waivers and you would be stuck with.

That is probably the smartest move because when the time comes (hopefully in a couple of weeks), you waive McElhinney and Toronto can reclaim him and send him directly to the AHL (unless some other team claims him). That is less risky then signing someone else who probably would not be claimed off of waivers and you would be stuck with.

Great move for the short term! Canes played this well, decent NHL vet that can grab a few starts without rushing Darling back and likely picked back up by the Leafs on waivers next month!

Yes. If the Canes waive McElhinney and he completely clears, we would be able to send him to the AHL. However I would expect that Toronto would claim him back. When a player who is claimed off of waivers is waived again, if he goes unclaimed by the other 29 NHL team, the team that originally waived him (who has last claiming rights regardless of the standings in this case) can claim him back and IMMEDIATELY send him to the AHL. Considering Toronto just lost BOTH McElhinney and Pickard to waivers, they are going to jump at the chance to get those players back off of waivers and to the AHL if its presented to them.

This was the best option for the Canes if they completely don't trust Neds, which they apparently don't.

It would not shock me if McElhinney gets almost as many starts as Mrazek if he is leaky out of the gate. Curtis is coming off a great season last year as the backup and he played in front of a Leaf defense that was not as good as the Canes D. If Darling has a bad hamstring he may need more than 2 weeks to be fully healthy to play.

Flyers claimed Pickard so the Canes could have claimed him instead of McElhinney based on a worse record than Flyers last year , correct?

I posted about McElhinney yesterday so obviously I'm behind this pickup. Sorry Ned.

The Flyers have both Michael Neuvirth and Alex Lyon on IR and their only backup options are Carter Hart and Anthony Stolarz, so they needed a short term stop gap as bad as the Canes.

Flyers claimed Pickard so the Canes could have claimed him instead of McElhinney based on a worse record than Flyers last year , correct?

Yes, that is correct.

So let me clarify this a bit. After the Canes waive McElhinney again here is what could potentially happen:

1) If no other team claims him, the Canes can send him to the AHL

2) If a team with a higher priority than the Leafs claims him, they take his contract and have to keep him on their NHL roster (he would have to be put back on waivers to move him off of their NHL roster)

3) If the Leafs have the highest priority claim for McElhinney BUT another team lower than them in the waiver priority pecking order also claims McElhinney, then the Leafs get McElhinney back BUT CANNOT assign him immediately to the AHL (he would have to clear waivers again to do so)

4) If the Leafs are the ONLY team to claim McElhinney off of waivers from the Canes, they can immediately assign him to the AHL

Last edited:

Zero risk move. You pick up a stop-gap backup and only HAVE to keep the guy on the roster for a couple of weeks. Then when Darling is ready to go again, you waive McIlhenney and if Toronto or somebody else snags him, fine. As you pointed out, if you sign a guy then you're in the same situation eventually anyway ... and McIlenehhey is no worse than any of the other options out there. Cool beans ...

Now we just have to hope that Mrazek doesn't crap the bed.

So let me clarify this a bit. After the Canes waive McElhinney again here is what could potentially happen:

1) If no other team claims him, the Canes can send him to the AHL

Since the Canes have no faith in Neds, wouldn't this be a good thing in case of another injury to our goalies? Like an insurance policy since know one knows what's likely to happen. Injuries or other wise.

You could look at it that way. But that also means that Booth is going to end up back in the ECHL splitting time again (with Helvig) unless one of them gets loaned to another team:

Charlotte: McElhinney/Neds

Florida: Booth/Helvig

Yes that provides you more depth. But it also means Booth is seeing ECHL level competition again all season when it looked like he was ready for a full season in the AHL. playing maybe 25-30 games to Neds 38-43.

No need to worry about that though. I would put the chances of no one reclaiming McElhinney when the Canes waive him at zero. He almost certainly will be claimed when the Canes wave him.

Depending on what happens here though with Mrazek, one option I didn't list is the Canes waiving Mrazek instead and holding on to McElhinney. That would put the Leafs in more of a bind because their best case scenario has them as the only team reclaiming McElhinney off of waivers so they can send him directly to the AHL as insurance for Sparks. Another option for the Canes would be going forward with the awkward situation of keeping 3 goalies on the NHL roster for a period of time. This is what they did back in the day with poor Justin Peters so they wouldn't lose him to waivers.

Last edited:

they had 3 goalies for a short time in 2002 when they added Weekes but before Barrasso went to Toronto.

Nah ... I should have set up a separate thread, but it's a Disney Cruise release week so I'm busier than is good for me.

Yes that provides you more depth. But it also means Booth is seeing ECHL level competition again all season when it looked like he was ready for a full season in the AHL. playing maybe 25-30 games to Neds 38-43.

Honestly, from what I saw of them in pre season, Booth is only a twitch behind Neds at this point ... at least in terms of looking competent against quasi-NHL competition. He handles the puck a lot less like it might explode on him, that's for sure. Neds needs to take a BIG step forward this season.

Back