• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread 2018-19

Once Nylander inevitably re-signs.....Carolina (worst Goals per game in the East) has to consider a Dubas offer built around Kapanen & Pesce right?

Kappy has gone a little cold lately, though he's been having great looks.

Still wouldn't deal him though. He's amazing, quite frankly, and excellent insurance for top line injuries. Look at how he's picked up the slack with Willy gone. I would personally try to sign him to a nice deal like $4M x 4 years or something like that, and keep him in the fold. That breakneck speed is something only literally a few players in the league have. He's probably the fastest Leaf I've ever seen - don't think even Gartner could keep up with Kapanen.

If we're going to get a Pesce, do a quantity for quality deal using lesser parts. Or shit, don't bother and just let Lilly or Sandin have a shot.

I agree, please keep kappy!

I don't think I've seen someone single handedly turn nothing out of a breakaway as many times as he has. His finish can use some work at times, but that can get better. The speed, that's something we wont find elsewhere.

I honestly don't even want to trade for dmen anymore.

Rielly/Dermott
Sandin/Liljegren

Gardiner/free agents

Ozzy/rosen/holl/borgman/rasanen/durzi/future picks...

no need.

Am I the only one that thinks we need scoring depth on the wing more than we need marginal improvements to our defense at this point?

Even with just Nylander out, our wing depth was kind of hurtbag to start the year with Johnsson & Brown not contributing much. If we can get consistent quality play from those guys, or if someone like Grundstrom or Moore steps up from the Marlies, then maybe you have the luxury of trading Kapanen. Until then, I think we're better off hanging on to him.

I don't know. We have Hainsey and Zaitsev getting top 4 minutes, and Brown/Leivo/Ennis on the 4th line when everyone is healthy. Our wing depth is pretty good.

Long term our D is in fine shape, but we also have a legit shot to win now, so short term help should definitely be on the table and is our biggest need.

I don't know. We have Hainsey and Zaitsev getting top 4 minutes, and Brown/Leivo/Ennis on the 4th line when everyone is healthy. Our wing depth is pretty good.

Long term our D is in fine shape, but we also have a legit shot to win now, so short term help should definitely be on the table and is our biggest need.

eh. Dermott should be getting top-4 minutes ahead of one of those guys. that's on babcock.

eh. Dermott should be getting top-4 minutes ahead of one of those guys. that's on babcock.

Also think it's partially because we don't want to max his potential value until we have him locked up....I think Dubas' is liable to attempt for a 6-8 year deal with him come July 1st, and him having top 4 RHD leverage wouldn't help things.

Rielly-Pesce
Gards-Dermott
Sandin-Liljegren

Is a D I can get behind for the next four+ years...

Ditto:

Rielly-Pesce
Dermott-Oz
Sandin-Lil

If Gards can't be re-signed..

I often wonder if it's not partially because we don't want to max his potential value until we have him locked up....I think Dubas' is liable to attempt for a 6-8 year deal with him come July 1st, and him having top 4 RHD leverage wouldn't help things.

Rielly-Pesce
Gards-Dermott
Sandin-Liljegren

Is a D I can get behind for the next four+ years...

Ditto:

Rielly-Pesce
Dermott-Oz
Sandin-Lil

If Gards can't be re-signed..

Last edited:

Agreed, but then you still have Hainsey/Zaitsev on a top pair, along with a billion dollars in cap space and a legit shot at a cup. Seems like a pretty obvious short term upgrade.

I agree long term it looks like they are in good shape.

Not sure what they could offer Dermott to get him to sign long term. He's not going to sign a $3M x 6 year deal or anything. And they're not going to offer him $4M or $5M based on his limited body of work.

At most, I could see a 3 or 4 year deal at like $2.5M.

I'm more interested in what happens with Gardiner at this point, frankly.

Obviously Babs loves him. I think Dubas must too. But giving him a huge deal may not be in the gards...er, cards.

That said, the cap going up by $4M or $5M in just the next year sure would change the landscape and strategy significantly for us.

IMO it depends on if he is willing to take the Shanny discount. Wouldn't be suprising at all to see him resign. Also wouldn't be surprising at all to see him get a 7 year $50+ million deal somewhere.

I'm more interested in what happens with Gardiner at this point, frankly.

Obviously Babs loves him. I think Dubas must too. But giving him a huge deal may not be in the gards...er, cards.

That said, the cap going up by $4M or $5M in just the next year sure would change the landscape and strategy significantly for us.

Everyone focuses on the big 3, but the guaranteed casualty is Gardiner. They just can't afford him and frankly, can get by fine without him through guys like Dermott/Lilly, ETC.

Gardiner has been our second best dman by a mile over the last few years, and we are definitely much better with him.

Dermott has been un****ingreal in sheltered minutes though, and can easily slide up into the second pair, if not higher. So I'm not sure we'd feel the absence too bad if it comes to that. And with Sandin not far behind we are set up great on the left side.

Back