• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

I think they have to have offered $7m x 7.

I’m sure they’d go up slightly, but I do have a feeling he is stuck on $8m.

Maybe Nylander has asked for his demands to be met or requesting a trade. His father wants him to play in the US. Dubas has gone on at length to say he's not trading Nylander. Could be an interesting game of Russian roulette.

I am fine with Willy getting 7 million per. The cap has gone up. But he really hasn't shown enough to get more than that. The Drais' deal is the outlier.
If Willy had gone to the next level in the second half and playoffs like Mitch did, then 8 million is possible. But he did not.

Last edited:
We can and need to dump that Marleau contract to save $. Marleau has a big signing bonus Leafs can pay on July 2nd. His actual $$ is a litlle over a million for a 6.25 million cap hit next season. 7 million or a little over for Willy isn't a big deal. The cap is going up more than we thought with the MGM agreement.

I would never want Willy moved unless it's a homerun we can't turn down.

His dad wants him to play in the U.S. Possible, but where did you come up with that?

One thing that has not been discussed is the looks factor. Most of us have seen that cool video of Matthews, Marner, Hyman and Willy all hanging out, in the distillery district.

Well three girls went ga ga over Willy and didn't even care to know who the other average looking guys were.

Its possible Micheal Nylander thinks that Willy besides being a possible number one center, can be the "guy" in a U.S. city and rake in more money in endorsments, that he can on the rink.

Something to muse on. Branding yourself seems to be the name of the game in most of the other sports out there. Willy certainly is one of the most attractive pro athletes in the world. At least to the ladies, he is a little too pretty for the older ladies, but young girls seems to consider him a wow.

It really depends on where he goes. Willy can be a great commercial guy with endorsements, but in Carolina no one will know he exists even if he's that guy. You will get more attention in Toronto as the 4th or 5th best player than in a lot of U.S markets as the #1 guy.

For any of this "wants to play in the US/wants to be a center/wants to be the guy" stuff to be remotely believable Willy would have to be requesting a trade, or a bridge, not a long term deal.

Willy pretty clearly wants to be here. He just wants to be paid.

If Willy had just broken out like Mitch did in the second half and playoffs the 8 million per would be ok *if* that is what he wants.

Read my post. I said Micheal may want him to play in the U.S. I think Willy enjoyed the guys here. I cannot see how he would have enjoyed Babcock all that much.

Some guy broke a story yesterday that the deal is almost done. Same guy apparently who made the call three days in advance about Tavares signing.

Last edited:
Maybe we wouldn't, but all we know is that every source has said Nylander's camp wants a big long term deal. There is no evidence to support that he wants out, and only evidence to support that he doesn't.

The Leafs have done an amazing job of keeping this situation locked down - in other markets you would see both sides using the media to gain advantage.

Just sign him to a 1 year max deal and have a hush hush agreement that he'll take 6 per for 8 years when he's up again next summer.

Problem solved.

Back