• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

You have to figure that if Willy had thought about what his worst case scenario looked like, in regards to extracting maximum value in contract negotiations, that:

- Kapanen taking his spot and looking awesome in it
- Matthews looking like a legit Rocket Richard/Art Ross threat without Willy
- 5-1 start
- Averaging almost 5 goals per game
- Top PP unit looking scarier than Thanos

Would pretty much qualify as worst case scenario. There really is almost zero incentive for Dubas to cave at all.

Yep. It is making a strong case for management that he's not one of the most important guys in the lineup. Sure, he's a nice add-on to this team right now.

I wonder if signing Tavares and taking away Willy's short and intermediate term for being a centre is part of why his group is being so demanding. Centres value more than wingers and Willy is a legit centreman that Babs has not given him the opportunity to show.

Sometimes you add when you subtract. Unfortunately for Willy, that is the case so far. I like him at 5 million, but 8 million plus makes me barf. Come on kid.

You have to figure that if Willy had thought about what his worst case scenario looked like, in regards to extracting maximum value in contract negotiations, that:

- Kapanen taking his spot and looking awesome in it
- Matthews looking like a legit Rocket Richard/Art Ross threat without Willy
- 5-1 start
- Averaging almost 5 goals per game
- Top PP unit looking scarier than Thanos

Would pretty much qualify as worst case scenario. There really is almost zero incentive for Dubas to cave at all.

Dubas was never going to cave under any circumstances with Chilly Willy . You can’t lose the battle with a 22 year old punk on your first negotiation who is your 7th most important player.

Every bit as important as Marner and just as good but let's not let stats or facts get in the way

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Every bit as important as Marner and just as good but let's not let stats of facts get in the way of wanting to dump him

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

If that's the case then what's the problem with paying him 8.5 million? the way Marner's going that would be a bargain for him.

Chris Johnston claims Willy and his daddy and agent are considering the KHL. Unfortunately, we drafted a real pain-in-the-ass.
This is looking more and more like he'll need to be moved.

Chris Johnston claims Willy and his daddy and agent are considering the KHL. Unfortunately, we drafted a real pain-in-the-ass.

meh, I think this is just posturing. Obviously Willy does not want to end up in the KHL for any term. his team has to know that he would be leaving money on the table over the long-term (maybe even short-term too), reckon they are trying to get the Doob man to blink. think it is clear at this point that Doobs is holding firm.

'rumblings' isn't quite claiming that he is considering KHL. Sounds like unsubstantiated rumours to me.

Bob Hartley (who coaches Avangard, the team that has Willy's KHL Rights):

I would love to see him in our team. ... I think his main goal is to play in the NHL. I hope he will sign the contract and will play in the NHL."

Nice try Willy's agent.

This is so disappointing. The Leafs brass has to be pretty unimpressed with him right now, and no doubt Babcock is gonna punish him long and hard if he returns for not putting the team first.

This is so disappointing. The Leafs brass has to be pretty unimpressed with him right now, and no doubt Babcock is gonna punish him long and hard if he returns for not putting the team first.

I don't expect Willy to get anywhere near the first line when he returns for several weeks. He's going to be playing catch up, and I think we all have an idea about how Babs feels about the situation.

I understand that he has to try and take care of himself, but I really don't see what he stands to gain at this point.

Before people get all bent out of shape, there's no telling where this story got "leaked" from.

This story could just as easily be coming from the KHL team that owns Willy's rights, because they'd love to grab his attention and get him to at least consider coming to play for their team.

Now if it is coming from Willy's people, then it'd be a definite sign that they're getting desperate and that this whole situation is likely winding down. When Andreas Athanasiou was in his contract dispute with the Red Wings last year, his agents tried playing the "well, maybe I'll go play in the KHL" card too shortly before they ended up caving and signing what Detroit was offering.

The bottom line is, the moment Nylander signs a contract and plays a minute with any KHL team his NHL season this year is effectively over, as he would need to clear waivers before re-joining any NHL lineup this year. So is he really going to write-off this NHL season and his NHL paycheques this year so that he can make a pro-rated two-thirds of a KHL salary (the KHL season is already 1/3 of the way over) and play in some gritty Russian backwater city that's 2300 KM East of Moscow and on the border with Kazahkstan?

I seriously doubt it. Especially since he'd just be in the same position again next year---an RFA with no arbitration rights and no leverage.

He would get his adjustment period for a few weeks then he would be back with the top line where he belongs

It silly to suggest punishing a player for exercising his right as part of the negotiation process

We keep hearing one side of the story which is an entirely negative spin on Willy but nothing from the side of the Leafs. Who knows what they are countering with.

He would get his adjustment period for a few weeks then he would be back with the top line where he belongs

It silly to suggest punishing a player for exercising his right as part of the negotiation process

We keep hearing one side of the story which is an entirely negative spin on Willy but nothing from the side of the Leafs. Who knows what they are countering with.

I don't think it is silly at all. Framing it in those terms eliminates much of the context that justifies putting him lower in the line up if/when he returns.

While you say "exercising his right", Babs says "missed training camp". It's not so much punishing Willy as doing what is best for the team. Of course, this assumes Willy will be behind the curve if and when he does return.

What I think will happen though is Babs will probably keep Willy lower in the lineup for longer than his play may merit in order to make a point. But I don't think he should expect to join the team midway through the season and simply have his first line wing spot handed back to him.

I don't blame the guy for wanting to get paid. Shitty if it unfolds with him being moved because of greed.

If we are to move him i hope we get a stud piece back. Subban? Pietrangelo?

I don't think guys like Pesce and Manson are good enough. Reeks of Hall for Larsson when you trade a stud offensive player for defense only piece.

Getting moved to the "third line" on this team isn't "punishment", in any shape or form.

Not when the "third line center" on this team is a 30-goal/60-point player. If that's where Willy ends up when he's back, I think it'll be less about punishment, and more about Babcock wanting to add some balance to the lineup as well as not break up a combination (Matthews-Kapanen) that's working pretty well at the moment.

Back