• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

he might hold a grudge about that as well
I dunno...do you think he would've preferred to spend the whole year in the AHL that season?

It isn't like the Leafs had to do some serious manipulation to ensure that Nylander's contract was up first. Willy was drafted in 2014, Mitch was drafted in 2015 & Auston was drafted in 2016. So Willy was always the most likely to be the first of the three up for a second contract.

I dunno...do you think he would've preferred to spend the whole year in the AHL that season?

It isn't like the Leafs had to do some serious manipulation to ensure that Nylander's contract was up first. Willy was drafted in 2014, Mitch was drafted in 2015 & Auston was drafted in 2016. So Willy was always the most likely to be the first of the three up for a second contract.

yeah just the luck of the draw but I could see him choked that they want to pay him 5 million say, and will pay Matthews 13 million. He knows Matthews is better and arguably the best in the world but in his mind he will say, he isnt twice the player. Re Marner, I figure he gets 8 million so again, in Nylander's mind, he think is Marner worth 3 million more? Marner might very well be, but Nylander will not admit it.

the opposite i think
IIRC he should have actually been in the NHL earlier making NHL money not AHL money and having a better chance to improve even more

I called this, before anyone, but I didn't think it would become this silly. We just don't know how things are. Sure, the Leafs would be better with a zone GOD king. But we seem to be doing well without JVR, Komorov and Bozak.

So ya never know. Babcock putting in Sparks tonight? Well like I said, Babcock is the most overrated, overhyped fool coach in NHL history. Sparks is pure crap.

I will say this Sparks is just awful. This is a key game for the Nylander sweepstakes and Boob/Bad/Cock puts in Sparks?

Cito Gaston, Babcock is not. John Gibbons Babcock is not. Man, must be great to be the most overpaid joke in NHL history.

I still call a difficult season for Toronto. And mostly because of Boob/Bad/Cock.

Giving a backup goalie his SECOND start of the season is something EVERY coach will be doing shortly if they haven't already done so. It is IDIOTIC to suggest otherwise. And this is a "key game" in the Nylander sweepstakes? Teeds - C'MON MAN.

Giving a backup goalie his SECOND start of the season is something EVERY coach will be doing shortly if they haven't already done so. It is IDIOTIC to suggest otherwise. And this is a "key game" in the Nylander sweepstakes? Teeds - C'MON MAN.

Oh, and Freddy is either hurt or sick. So it's not even by choice.

yeah just the luck of the draw but I could see him choked that they want to pay him 5 million say, and will pay Matthews 13 million. He knows Matthews is better and arguably the best in the world but in his mind he will say, he isnt twice the player. Re Marner, I figure he gets 8 million so again, in Nylander's mind, he think is Marner worth 3 million more? Marner might very well be, but Nylander will not admit it.

5 million vs 13 million... on what term are these deals?

and btw I hope your math on behalf of clients is better than the bolded, quite Belakian, attempt.

I called this, before anyone, but I didn't think it would become this silly. We just don't know how things are. Sure, the Leafs would be better with a zone GOD king. But we seem to be doing well without JVR, Komorov and Bozak.

So ya never know. Babcock putting in Sparks tonight? Well like I said, Babcock is the most overrated, overhyped fool coach in NHL history. Sparks is pure crap.

I will say this Sparks is just awful. This is a key game for the Nylander sweepstakes and Boob/Bad/Cock puts in Sparks?

Cito Gaston, Babcock is not. John Gibbons Babcock is not. Man, must be great to be the most overpaid joke in NHL history.

I still call a difficult season for Toronto. And mostly because of Boob/Bad/Cock.
f8497f1b919e1a9ea0f3f791aaf118b5.gif

5 million vs 13 million... on what term are these deals?

and btw I hope your math on behalf of clients is better than the bolded, quite Belakian, attempt.

do you think for a second that Matthews will take anything less than McDavid? Why should he when arguably he is a better player.

and to ease your pendantic concerns, he will believe Matthews is not 2.6 times the better player, happy now?

If you want 6 million vs 13 million, then it is 2.167 times the player,,,,

A player does not care about term, he just thinks, it will take me 2-3 years to make what another is making this year. Whether that is good thinking or not is irrelevant, they think that way.

do you think for a second that Matthews will take anything less than McDavid? Why should he when arguably he is a better player.

you won't find a bigger fan of Matthews than me, but he needs to put up 100 point seasons and win hardware to be on par with McDavid.

and to ease your pendantic concerns, he will believe Matthews is not 2.6 times the better player, happy now?

I thought all those pitiful name puns you make meant you had a sense of humour??

A player does not care about term, he just thinks, it will take me 2-3 years to make what another is making this year. Whether that is good thinking or not is irrelevant, they think that way.

This is totally absurd. and wrong.

you won't find a bigger fan of Matthews than me, but he needs to put up 100 point seasons and win hardware to be on par with McDavid.

I thought all those pitiful name puns you make meant you had a sense of humour??

Remember if Shanahan wasn't worried about the players all going for top dollar he wouldn't have gone to the press begging them to take less for the team.

Right now, I would take Matthews over McDavid and probably half the GMs would.

Eating some black crow pie tonight. Kapanen is the best friend of Matthews? Wow, the kid has emerged. What is it going to take to sign him? Sheesh.

Sparks start also, another heaping portion of crow.

Matthews over McDavid? Well lets just say, its delightfully close.

If he gets 60 goals and wins the Hart this year, he absolutely should demand to make as much as McDavid.

If he gets 60 goals and wins the Hart this year, he absolutely should demand to make as much as McDavid.

I think the question is not whether Matty would deserve a McDavid deal, but whether he will insist on one. And I hope not, but to be honest I expect him to take us to the cleaners. And we should just pay him what he wants in the end.

Makes me wonder how much playing with Matthew's inflated willys stats.
Kapanen will be shooting for the moon if he gets 30 goals this season, and I wouldnt hesitate to ernie hickey him if the return is right. Hickey was the cost of the draft choice for lafleur.
Willy is more talented than kapri but I think both these players stats are a representation of playing with one of the best players in the league right now (Kappi) and last season (willy).
As for nylander and his preference for playing center .... he wouldnt even make it as a center on the leafs top 3 lines.
I think nylander wants out of Toronto.... he might have someone whispering in his ear and convincing him that he is better than everyone else on the team. This situation might be alot like leonard and the raps ( feeling he has been wronged by his treatment of the team (babcock) and not getting the center job on the second line). Imho, willy has a personal agenda. I think Teeds may be right on this one.
Also, sparks is as shakey as a Strachan rumour .... just dont trust him.
If willy ever comes to grips with his place on this team and his price to the team, the leafs are going to be scary offensively.
Another question ..... what to do with gardiner? The guy is a mine field .... the stats guys will sing his praises but like the eye candy perception to those who dont rely on stats, I think gardiner is the recipient of some excellent play by his teammates on his bonehead giveaways and stupid plays.
Maybe edmonton would do a 1 for 1 with gardiner for Larson.

I think the question is not whether Matty would deserve a McDavid deal, but whether he will insist on one. And I hope not, but to be honest I expect him to take us to the cleaners. And we should just pay him what he wants in the end.

For whatever reason, it's always exceedingly rare for a player to take well under market value. I mean, for a guy like Matthews, he totally doesn't need to take the max he can. If he signed for 8x10 instead of 8x12.5, I'm pretty damn sure that 80M is enough that he and his family will live very comfortably for the rest of their lives. Never mind what else he can pull in from endorsement deals and the like. And that extra 2.5M per year would be huge to the team, and legit give a better chance at winning a cup.

But I think there's too much pressure, either by agents, media, the PA, or whoever, that players will never really take a huge drop in pay. Especially not on their first deals. I could see you guys talk him into taking the same AAV as Tavares, locking him up for 11M a year. But barring injury or some freak thing where he goes 20 games without scoring, I can't see him come in much under that. But with McDavid setting the stage for superstar youth deals, signing his massive one with "only" 1 100 point season under his belt, Matthews really can cash in.

Back