• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

6 years, ~$6.8m on/around Dec 1st still strikes me as the most likely outcome.
I'm with you but I also wonder what figure they came to the table with to start.

Ehlers comparable or less?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I scratch my head at some of the comments that come from the professionals in the NHL

"Johnny Tavares, as good as he is, might be the reason the Leafs can't keep those guys. And I'm not blaming Johnny." —Anton Thun, player agent

"Last spring was the time to sign the Leafs young core" - Mark Hunter

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Mark Hunter should just not comment. He decided to leave. And why does he think they could have signed them last Spring? Impossible for Matthews and Marner,.

I'm with you but I also wonder what figure they came to the table with to start.

Ehlers comparable or less?

Sounds like very low 6's....and only recently have discussed Pastarnak's $6.66 range.

I think Dec 1st, ~$6.8m with a ~$6.45 cap hit past this year, over six years, just makes too much sense for everyone involved, to not be where it ends up.

Hunter just left. Why didn’t he sign them while he was here?

It’s almost like he’s implying that he pushed for signing them then and Dubas wanted to let it ride.

I could find out what really happened LOF, but who cares? In fact I would probably be flamed off the board.

Hunter as I found out, was NOT the guy who slept in a car, he had scouts who did it for him. So $%$$$#%% him anyways.

We have Dubas, and guess what? He landed Tavares. I could care less about Charmin NYLANDER.

Mark Hunter was a bush league NHLer, seems like he is leaving in the same manner as he arrived, in a trail of shit.

I was so ecstatic when that POS left the organization. Guy was a horrible representation of a NHL player on the ice. Same for his brother.

Good riddance.

Lets ride this nerd for a few years and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Honestly, there's a lot of dumbasses working in the NHL. If you get quotes from broke-ass teams' execs like in Carolina or Florida, you will get very uneducated opinions. Remember that Exec that told Friedman he'd bet his house Lou will get revenge and offersheet the Leafs players? Within 24 hours Lou acquired Martin and saved the Leafs 5 million in cap space.
Also, there was an exec that told friedman I believe a couple of years back about how screwed the Leafs cap was and did not understand how LTIR worked.
That's why I always laugh at the Gord Miller bit "I just spoke with an NHL Exec...". That's supposed to impress us and be the gospel.

Last edited:
Koshan posted an article about Montour being a potential target for Willy

I don’t buy it for a second as it’s likely just a connect the dots article. RHD on a decent cap hit so that must be what the Leafs need

It wreaks of Hall for Larsson

Koshan's just the Sun's Leaf beat reporter.

He's a decent source of info for the daily goings on of the team (line combinations, who's at practice, etc), but he's not a source of insight or inside information.

Montour's also one of the more hilariously overrated members of the Ducks defense. The guy's two years older than Willy, and is only still just establishing himself as a regular NHL defenseman, let alone a defenseman of any particular quality. As a centerpiece in a Nylander deal, he'd be an even worse return than Larsson was for Hall.

The media still think the Larsson for Hall trade forever changed the market for a top 4 D. It never did. It was a disaster. No other GM would have done that.
You have to come up with something to get attention in the media if you have nothing. So all of this is lazy speculation.

And if you rush to trade him in the next couple of weeks, teams will offer you complete crap. They know you have a deadline.
Just sign him.
There are some brain-dead media people on Twitter holy ****. It doesn't even make sense what they say.

I don’t buy it for a second as it’s likely just a connect the dots article. RHD on a decent cap hit so that must be what the Leafs need

Lindholm would be interesting.

Montour is laughable.

Lindholm would be interesting.

Montour is laughable.

As bad as the Larsson trade was, he was still a 22 year old recent top 5 pick with a great track record. They were ultimately wrong about what he was, but he had top pair young dman hype, and that is what was traded for. They didn't think they were getting an ok 2nd pair dman.

To get Nylander you have to give up a high potential young player, not someone like Montour or Pesce. And I have a lot more faith is Dubas' player evaluation than Chia.

Remember last year when I was sorta laughed at for calling for a trade of Max Domi, Dylan Strome and OEL for Matthews? Man, I still make that trade, and no, I didn't see Max Domi breaking out like this.

I just saw an injury prone kid in Matthews, who if he somehow grows two new DNA constructed shoulders, could be a great NHLer.

But will most likely be Lupul 2.0 and this whole board will end up treating him, like they treated Lupul, a lepper.

Not me, I thought Lupul, when healthy was a beast.

The issue with DMen with limited mobility and offensive skill should not be picked in the top 5. See Schenn and Reinhart along with Larsson.
For Nylander you need someone who is a top-pairing guy with excellent mobility for today's game.

The issue with DMen with limited mobility and offensive skill should not be picked in the top 5. See Schenn and Reinhart along with Larsson.
For Nylander you need someone who is a top-pairing guy with excellent mobility for today's game.

yeah, exactly.

being a top-5 pick is no justification for likeing Larsson. He shouldn't have been picked that high - something most of us here said at the time.

The point wasn't that Larsson deserved the hype, its that he had it. Hall wasn't traded for some shitty defenseman. He was traded for a young, top prospect that a lot of people compared to Lidstrom. Those people happened to be really wrong, but the Oilers didn't think they were trading for an ok second pair D.

And its not just a top 5 pick. He had one of the best predraft seasons ever for a dman in the SHL. He had two 40+ point paces in the AHL. There was a lot of hype around Larsson.

Chia has a bit of a track record when it comes to falling in love with a defenseman mostly because of his draft position.

Not only Larsson, but also trading essentially two first round picks for Griffin Reinhart three years after he was drafted 4th overall.

Back