• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

eh, tavares at $11m always risked bringing up Matthews/marner/willy's salaries.

tavares was an overpay, no doubt about that.

agreed. and I really hope it doesn't handcuff us in the near future (I accept it will almost definitely handcuff us in the far future)

It's actually not that hard to cut payroll. Marleau has to go. And after the Leafs pay that bonus on July 2nd, his actual $ is just over a million for a 6 million+ cap hit. A lot of broke teams would love him.
The Zaitsev deal was just uneccessary and a huge mistake.
I want to keep Zaitsev

The Leafs have the cap space to meet Willy's demands. They really don't have any bad contracts, outside of the term for Zaitsev.

Its not that they can't afford to pay Willy $8. They don't want to pay him $8.

I hope they are offering 7 million per. I don't have any issue with that #. 8 million is too much though for his stats.
It's nice and all to talka bout Drais' deal in Edmonton, but what about all the other players making 6-6.7 million that have better stats than Willy? Larkin just re-upped for 6.1 million per.

Or you could look at brown and zaitsev taking up $7M
No question that those are the kind of guys that you prune from your cap first before anyone else (especially your elite talent) once you start feeling the crunch.

But you don't make that room for the express purpose of giving your RFA's Peter Chiarelli-esque, ground-breaking over-pays.

eh, tavares at $11m always risked bringing up Matthews/marner/willy's salaries.

tavares was an overpay, no doubt about that.
Yes, Tavares absolutely was an overpay, but he was a UFA that every team in the league was freely throwing huge dollars at.

So if Willy's agent is trying to use Tavares as a comparable for the contract he's trying to get as an RFA with no arbitration rights and no offer sheets, he can GTFO with that nonsense.

No question that those are the kind of guys that you prune from your cap first before anyone else (especially your elite talent) once you start feeling the crunch.

But you don't make that room for the express purpose of giving your RFA's Peter Chiarelli-esque, ground-breaking over-pays.

Yes, Tavares absolutely was an overpay, but he was a UFA that every team in the league was freely throwing huge dollars at.

So if Willy's agent is trying to use Tavares as a comparable for the contract he's trying to get as an RFA with no arbitration rights and no offer sheets, he can GTFO with that nonsense.

that's fine and all, but to be frank i'd rather have Willy's age 22-29 years than Tavares' 28-35yrs, even at the same price.

absolutely, but from the start i've never liked the possibility of trading willy's young prime years for tavares' decline years.

that's fine and all, but to be frank i'd rather have Willy's age 22-29 years than Tavares' 28-35yrs, even at the same price.
We're on the same page in that I also expect Willy to be a more valuable player on the ice over the next 7-8 years than Tavares.

But yeah, like leafman says, it doesn't come down to a choice between the two (unless the fact that Willy is blocked from playing center in fact is a big issue here).

And like I said before, even if Tavares wasn't here, I'd still fully support Leaf management taking a hard line against paying Nylander any more than is reasonable in the current market.

Nylander and Zaitsev for Pesce and Kuokkanen/Necas would get me thinking real hard

Pesce and Necas are good. But IMO if you move a guy like Nylander you need elite talent back. Slavin, Hamilton or Svechnikov. Otherwise just pay him. Long term I'd rather pay Willy $8 than Pesce and Necas $8.

The Canes MIGHT trade BOTH Pesce and Necas for Nylander. I understand why that would be a fair ask, Nylander is an established 60 point guy while Necas at this stage is just a POTENTIAL 60 point guy. That is a tough ask though for the Canes, they are very very high on Necas.

As for Svech, Hamilton or Slavin? The Canes are not going to trade any of them. Svech and Slavin almost certainly are untouchable. And if the Canes are going to have to fork over $7-8 million per to actually pay Nylander, they are not about to take on a Zaitsev salary dump in return. They still have to pay Aho 8 million+ per as well starting next season. The Canes will want nothing to do with any salary dumps coming back the other way...they are poised to have a payroll explosion as it is even without adding Nylander.

You can really put together endless trade scenarios that would work for both sides. I have a feeling in the end Nylander take a 2 year $13 million 'bridge' and no trade ends up happening.

The Canes financial situation is more of a concern. They likely can't afford to simply toss 8 million per at Nylander. Their cap situation does not matter.

The Canes MIGHT trade BOTH Pesce and Necas for Nylander. I understand why that would be a fair ask, Nylander is an established 60 point guy while Necas at this stage is just a POTENTIAL 60 point guy. That is a tough ask though for the Canes, they are very very high on Necas.

As for Svech, Hamilton or Slavin? The Canes are not going to trade any of them. Svech and Slavin almost certainly are untouchable. And if the Canes are going to have to fork over $7-8 million per to actually pay Nylander, they are not about to take on a Zaitsev salary dump in return. They still have to pay Aho 8 million+ per as well starting next season. The Canes will want nothing to do with any salary dumps coming back the other way...they are poised to have a payroll explosion as it is even without adding Nylander.

You can really put together endless trade scenarios that would work for both sides. I have a feeling in the end Nylander take a 2 year $13 million 'bridge' and no trade ends up happening.

I won't comment regarding the possible trade scenarios (there is a fit, in theory, for sure). But I will say there is a zero per cent chance of Willy signing a 2/13 bridge. If we bridge him, and if it is two years, the AAV will be much much lower. Those are RFA years. I think Kuch got something like ~$5 m on his bridge; I would expect something closer to that.

It's hard to say. Maybe Nylander would have demanded $8M+ either way.

And Tavares or no Tavares, I still don't think the team could or should cave to his demands. There's just no justification for paying him that much on a six year deal with the comparables out there in the league.

And you can't be the team that's paying their RFA's ground-breaking amounts and expect to stay good for long.

While I'm sure Nylander demanded $8m+, I suspect that the Leafs have been unwilling to go above Pasternak's amount ($6.7m). Per Shanahan's and Dubas' comments, they are asking for discounts to keep their promise to Tavares (no big subtractions). Pastnerak's amount is a discount, as with the cap increase, it should be around $7.1m (going from memory on calculating this way back).

Personally, without Tavares, I'd be fine if they locked him up for 8 years at anywhere between $7.5m and $8.0m. He has the potential to be an elite centreman which would have been great for the Leafs long-term down the middle. Of course, Tavares at centre and Willy on the wing would be more powerful. But they could have then looked to find a winger to fit in by acquisition (e.g., Panarin).

Maybe they didn't have confidence in Willy becoming a good centreman. If that's the case, it's probably Babcock's influence.

And that's fine. But then you're also not getting Nylander.

I mean, the Hurricanes probably won't get Nylander in any case, but they're certainly not getting him in a "quantity for quality" trade.

Not really. There's a pretty limited range of options to make a deal that'd work for the Leafs.

And none of those scenarios involve the Hurricanes acquiring Nylander without giving up an established very high-end player in return.

How much of willys point production has been the case of playing with Matthew's? I don't know.
I dont think as highly as most here do of willie.
I think he is a very good player but he also at this point is a 60 point winger ..... so would kapanen if Matthew's didnt get injured.
As for potential, well the ice is littered with player with potential.
Babcock is a problem, it seems that his stretch pass plays have become to predictable. The defence keep icing the puck for these stretch passes and alot of the time the forwards have blown the zone, leaving the dman no outlet passes to exit.
Also, goat is not an NHL player. Sorry, but he has no place on this team. I would rather have a Reeves or wilson on the team to use as a deterrent for the jets and bruins of the world.
It seems that other teams are taking runs at the leafs without any worry of retaliation.
Say what you want about my perception, dinosaur perspective, but as long as the leafs powerplay isnt working and the refs are really allowing alot of crap to go on without being called, then the leafs are sitting ducks. Imho.
The leafs are not a physical team, many will say that toughness is not fighting, but nothing makes the other team take notice when someone on the opposition hears another player on the opposition, telling him he is going to beat his face in if anyone touches Matthew's or marner or jt.
Jesus, except for hyman, jt and leivo, no one else on the team has shown the ability to battle back against the physical aspects of this game.
This team reminds me of the sens 12 years ago .... all the talent in the world but they kept losing to the tougher and more physical leafs.
Washington won it last year, and they can play a physical game, LA won it playing a physical game hell even Pitt won with reaves and england on the roster.
I remember the leafs playing a little bit bigger whenever wendel was dressed.
I may be wrong, but I think the leafs need a Simmonds or a wilson to help protect the younger smallish players.
Now I am waiting for someone to show me the stats that show the leafs as bigger team lol. I often wonder if Marchant would play the same game he does if he didnt have lucic and chara and mcquaids on his team for the past 10 years.
Bring up the marchments and the likes to give this team a little bit of sandpaper.
Jmho

Last edited:
Reaves had a ATOI of 6:45 during the regular season and did not play a single game in the playoffs

Engelland never won a cup with the Pens

Back