• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

The most likely outcome here is that both sides know that if they wait until Nov 30th, Willy can get his AAV and Dubas can get his cap hit number. Everyone will be happy. We agree to higher bonus numbers to protect Willy from a lockout as partial compensation for missing 2 months of salary.

I'm surprised but not surprised that some of the smarter mediots haven't latched onto this, it's the smart play for both sides.

I would be willing to bet that willie is no longer a leaf by this time next season.
Just a hunch, but I think that Willie's stand here has sealed his time here.
Package him and zaitsev to vegas for miller and tuch

What makes you guys think things get easier next year of Willy sits out the year?

What if he decides to play in the KHL and makes his money anyway? His demands are not going to drop and his value certainly doesn't improve.

But yeah we shouldn't be looking to trade him. The guy already has one foot out the door. It's shitty cause he is a great fit on this team but the guy clearly has one mandate and that's not to take a reasonable contract and play in Toronto.

A guy who has yet to crack 40 points with soft usage on a freshly signed 7 year, 4.75m per deal. One Hyman is plenty.

What else is Willy going to do? Give yo his NHL career and chance to make tens of millions of dollars to play in Sweden or Russia? He has no choice. He has to sign eventually.

What makes you guys think things get easier next year of Willy sits out the year?

What if he decides to play in the KHL and makes his money anyway? His demands are not going to drop and his value certainly doesn't improve.

But yeah we shouldn't be looking to trade him. The guy already has one foot out the door. It's shitty cause he is a great fit on this team but the guy clearly has one mandate and that's not to take a reasonable contract and play in Toronto.

The point isn't to get a better contract but to put the team in a much better position to find a good trade.

Being serious about going past Dec. 1 also gives the Leafs negotiating leverage if they don't want to move him.

What else is Willy going to do? Give yo his NHL career and chance to make tens of millions of dollars to play in Sweden or Russia? He has no choice. He has to sign eventually.

Yeah, I could see him doing that for sure. I'm sure he would prefer to play in the NHL but getting every last dime is obviously the mandate with his camp. Maybe that is outside the NHL.

SHL are not paying Willy anywhere near 5 million. The top tier players make 500k at best so consider them out of the running

His only option is the KHL at the moment

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Rumours are he’d get a 1 year $4 mill deal in the KHL.

If he is after the most money then he really has no choice.

Since I was the only one on any hockey board to predict this nightmare with the Nylanders, allow me to make another prediction.

Signing Marner will be tricky. He wants much more than anyone

Matthews will be even tougher.

Since I was the only one on any hockey board to predict this nightmare with the Nylanders, allow me to make another prediction.

Signing Marner will be tricky. He wants much more than anyone

Matthews will be even tougher.

I called this last year teeds
Give your ego a shake and hide that damn Gord stellick alter ego t shirt

You sign Matthew's first if his camp seems willing to take a bit of a discount ..... if they arent, then work on marner first.

Over the past few years, Willy has said that he was fine playing centre or wing but you've gotta wonder. Before Matthews was drafted, he was projected to be the eventual 1C. Then they add in Tavares and any chance of him playing a prominent role at centre evaporates.

Maybe the issue is that he doesn't think his comparables should be wingers. In essence, because the Leafs blocked off the centre spot, they'll have to pay a winger like a centre.

They should be promoting him as a future #1 centre if they do try to move him. The problem with that is ... then why did you sign Tavares?

Even if his comps are centers. MacKinnon, Barkov, Scheifele, Monahan, Larkin all signed long term deals for $6 mill.

Last edited:
The most likely outcome here is that both sides know that if they wait until Nov 30th, Willy can get his AAV and Dubas can get his cap hit number. Everyone will be happy. We agree to higher bonus numbers to protect Willy from a lockout as partial compensation for missing 2 months of salary.

I'm surprised but not surprised that some of the smarter mediots haven't latched onto this, it's the smart play for both sides.

But don't they only save $200-300k on the cap hit? Sounds like the gap is much bigger than that.

I never thought it would get this far.

I blame it on the messed up system that does not allow arbitration rights yet.

I didn't either.

Leaf fans said the org had it under control.

Kind of pleased it is happening though. Karma for wishing ill on habs fans on draft lottery day.

Back