• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

What does sitting out a year do to his value? Cant imagine it would change anything between now and next offseason and he risks injury if he plays in another league.

Can't afford to lose a whole year of development, especially at his age. Guys are still getting better in their early 20s. He needs to play somewhere.

I have no idea what the end game is here with Nylander's camp. He really needs to play. This is the dumbest RFA holdout in years.

Going to be funny if this turns out the Leafs low balling him is the cause of this

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Going to be funny if this turns out the Leafs low balling him is the cause of this

I know you keep pumping this narrative but this is much less likely than the alternative.

Sometimes you need to just read the tea leaves. Based on everything we have heard this is categorically not the case. Dubas coming out and saying "we aren't in a position to set records" on this contract tells you all you need to know. The other camp is asking for an amount that is above market value/league comparables. Multiple reports of his father being involved in negotiations, the history of his agent with the Gaudreau contract, etc.

Tea leaves matter.

I have no idea what the end game is here with Nylander's camp. He really needs to play. This is the dumbest RFA holdout in years.

Totally agreed .....when was the last time a Nylander value player didnt play a month into a season ?

I know you keep pumping this narrative but this is much less likely than the alternative.

Sometimes you need to just read the tea leaves. Based on everything we have heard this is categorically not the case. Dubas coming out and saying "we aren't in a position to set records" on this contract tells you all you need to know. The other camp is asking for an amount that is above market value/league comparables. Multiple reports of his father being involved in negotiations, the history of his agent with the Gaudreau contract, etc.

Tea leaves matter.
Na just enjoy laughing at people getting emotionally invested into this

It’s funny seeing people grasp at the Gaudreau contract and assume Gross is a bad agent but fail to recognize getting Saad, Krug and Doumlin big deals without a hitch

I don't think it is fair to pin this holdout entirely on the agent.

If Willy (or Michael) wanted him signed bad enough it would have happened by now.

I don't think it is fair to pin this holdout entirely on the agent.

If Willy (or Michael) wanted him signed bad enough it would have happened by now.
Yeah. In the end, it's Willy driving the bus here, so he's got to wear this.

And while I was willing to give Willy and his camp the benefit of the doubt to start off with, I tend to agree with Cojo that if it was the Leafs making unreasonable demands in this situation, the Nylander camp wouldn't be keeping quiet about what's being offered.

I think they know they're trying to set a new bar here, and wouldn't exactly get a groundswell of public support for their position.

Something I am considering more and more as a possibility is that maybe Willy simply does not want to be in Toronto long-term. It could be for any number of reasons bandied about in this thread (or others), but if the dude isn't on board with the Shanaplan or whatever, not much we can do about it. Of course, it is more likely this is just about money.

Na just enjoy laughing at people getting emotionally invested into this

I mean that's what it means to be a fan, no?

Would be naive to say that all of us are not emotionally invested in this team and this is a major story surrounding this team right now.

Something I am considering more and more as a possibility is that maybe Willy simply does not want to be in Toronto long-term. It could be for any number of reasons bandied about in this thread (or others), but if the dude isn't on board with the Shanaplan or whatever, not much we can do about it. Of course, it is more likely this is just about money.

This has been my impression for a while.

Which is why I think they need to move the player.

The rumours we unanimous that Nylander was looking for a long-term deal. If that's the case, it's gotta be about money. I continue to suspect, however, that this may be about the Leafs filling the centre slot for the foreseeable future.

If any deal happens, it will likely be a bridge.

I mean that's what it means to be a fan, no?

Would be naive to say that all of us are not emotionally invested in this team and this is a major story surrounding this team right now.

I love the team but couldn’t be bothered to waste the energy to get mad at a kid who is exercising his right in the negotiation process

Back