• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

All Dubas needs to do is walk into a leading Swiss bank and make a transfer off the books. Report 8 years @5 million. I really find it interesting they would meet in Zurich.

All Rogers, and Rogers based ISPs in Ontario are down. Nylander must have been signed and broke the internet.

Last edited:
I really dont see how a deal comparable to kucherov is favorable to nylander than a reasonable 6 year deal.

4 years at $5 per year and you are still an RFA or

6x6.5 qith free agency at the end.

Over the 4 year deal he would make $20 but during those same 4 years on the longer term deal he would make $26.

So for willy to come out ahead he would need to make up 6 mil (3 per year) above the 6.5 mil remaining on the deal for the last 2 years. Basically betting he will be a 10+ per year guy when his 4 year deal is done (even with arbitration for the last year). Simply doesnt appear to be a smart bet.

HaabyuT.jpg

Reports stating that no numbers exchanged in this meeting, I really find that hard to believe

The rumblings about this meeting were that apparently Willy's biggest concern is that he doesn't want to give a hometown discount and end up being traded because of it. The meeting was allegedly a face to face so that Dubas could assure Willy that he has no intention of trading him for a defender now or in the future. Willy isn't eligible for a NTC/NMC for 4-5 seasons from now I think, and he doesn't want to end up in Carolina or Vancouver or wherever making 6.5 million.

So I buy that no numbers were exchanged under that assumption above. The different Leaf offers are on the table and Willy just has to sign, or don't sign. This doesn't sound like it was a negotiation with Dubas and WillyCo. trying to meet in the middle of previous demands.

And that seems completely reasonable to me from Willy's stand point. If Shanny wants to spout off about taking less to win championships, it would be a real kick in the nuts to buy-in and then get shipped off to Carolina. In Toronto he can supplement his salary with some big endorsements, which he already seems to be cashing in on with Reebok. If he signs a sweetheart deal and gets dealt, it's going to be tough to make up the difference doing ads for Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits.

The more information on this trickles out, the more it's really seeming like Willy has unfortunately taken to heart the years of the media idiots insisting that the Leafs have to ship Nylander off in a Hall-for-Larsson-style deal to shore up the defense.

So I can see the sense in Dubas going over there not to rehash the discussion around numbers, and to attempt to reassure him eye-to-eye that the people suggesting the Leafs make a move like that are morons and that he still views Nylander as an important piece of the core going forward.

Hopefully he was convincing, and Nylander takes one of the deals they've got on the table for him.

He should be concerned. It's happened a bunch of times where a player took a discount on his second contact and got shipped out. Or signed a long term deal and was traded before his NTC kicked in.

He has to choose between a bridge which gives him a bit more control over his destiny or the security of a longer term deal which could see him shipped out eventually.

Last edited:
How can Dubas give him such assurances? If the team needs a D, anyone, including Nylander could be traded.

All he could say is that 'at this point' there are no such plans. That wouldn't really be good enough I don't think.

Reports stating that no numbers exchanged in this meeting, I really find that hard to believe

Of course there weren't. It's tacky and basically unheard to discuss numbers directly to players. That's all on the agent. Not sure what was discussed but I always kind of doubted that numbers would be part of it. If anything, maybe a subtle hint hint nudge nudge "take less money for the good of the team" comment or two but no chance that anything specific was discussed.

I mean that is super reasonable that Willy would be concerned about taking a pay cut for this great team only to get moved.

How can Dubas give him such assurances? If the team needs a D, anyone, including Nylander could be traded.

All he could say is that 'at this point' there are no such plans. That wouldn't really be good enough I don't think.
We have other assets to get D. Willy is not his only bargaining chip so the reassurance could be given that if a deal goes down you won't be part of it

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I still love how everybody blames our individual D for any defensive problems.

did anyone see what an absolute mess the blues' studs pietro and parayko we're last night? pietro would have been crucified long ago if he played in this market. big sloppy softie.

I mean, there are some assurances that Dubas can give him.

He can tell him that all the media speculation thus far is baseless. He can tell him that he views him as an important part of the core going forward.

He can tell him that he's satisfied that the team can win with its current defense core, and that going forward he thinks the young defensemen developing in the organization (Dermott, Sandin, Liljegren) will be able to help them improve from within. He can tell him that any defenseman that he'd be willing to trade Nylander for is as untouchable to their team as Willy is to the Leafs. He can tell him that if they do decide to improve the D in the short term, there are plenty of other assets they would trade first.

He can also tell Nylander that he has no intention of signing him for the sole intention of flipping him afterwards

But in the end, yeah---with an NTC or NMC not an option, he can't make Nylander any iron-clad guarantees that he won't be traded before the end of his contract.

The rumblings about this meeting were that apparently Willy's biggest concern is that he doesn't want to give a hometown discount and end up being traded because of it. The meeting was allegedly a face to face so that Dubas could assure Willy that he has no intention of trading him for a defender now or in the future. Willy isn't eligible for a NTC/NMC for 4-5 seasons from now I think, and he doesn't want to end up in Carolina or Vancouver or wherever making 6.5 million.

So I buy that no numbers were exchanged under that assumption above. The different Leaf offers are on the table and Willy just has to sign, or don't sign. This doesn't sound like it was a negotiation with Dubas and WillyCo. trying to meet in the middle of previous demands.

This makes good sense.

Dubas can probably convince him he won't trade him. However, Willy would also need to be convinced that Dubas won't be canned before an NTC kicks in. Maybe they need Shanahan in on it if that's the conversation (maybe they had him dialed in).

Like everything else with this it's only rumour, but I think the "but you can't trade me" thing is ridiculous.

you know what Willy? you can't have everything.

you don't want to play ball with the team budget, forcing them into bridging you? yeah, you could get traded. it's called pro sports.

in 3 years(or whatever) who knows what the situation will be. you can only forecast that to a certain point.

Back