Default Re: The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

Quote Originally Posted by BeLeafer View Post
    hmmm ...

Slavin 5v5 2017-18

w/ Pesce: 55.22 CF%, 53.68 FF%, 55.18 SCF%, 57.10 HDCF%
    no Pesce: 54.41 CF%, 54.37 FF%, 50.17 SCF%, 49.11 HDCF%

You might be selling Pesce short.
    Samples? Zone starts?

Yeah, this needs a lot of context to mean much of anything.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

AHL Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't think people understand how good nylander is. He has become underrated by fans and media only because he's on a team with Matthews tavares and marner. But make no mistake, he's going to be a top five winger in the NHL fairly consistently throughout his career. Being a winger, I wouldn't feel comfortable having him as my franchise player (I do think he can be a center elsewhere but that's besides the point), but I value him higher than marner for a couple reasons.

1. If one of the leafs top three centers go down, nylander immediately slips in and becomes the best third line center in the league by a longshot. Having him in this lineup is even more important because of his versatility.

2. He's just as good, if not better offensively. His five on five scoring rate is terrific both with and without Matthews as his center.

I'm not trying to pin one player against another, but I always find it humorous when people project marner as an 8 or 9 million dollar player and nylander 6 million
    If marner is worth 8 or 9, so is nylander. And frankly willy is more important to the leafs than marner because of that ability to step in at center. He's one hell of an insurance policy.

You absolutely do not trade him or all of a sudden they lessen their biggest quality as a team: elite depth up front. Sure you may get a little better defensively, but you're also getting worse offensively. Is it really worth it? Unless it's a like for like trade, you keep him. And if you do explore that option, I'm trading marner over nylander. You can get more for him and you keep the insurance policy at center in willy. Plus, it seems the market values marner as a 1-2 million dollar player more than willy so you save some cash as well. But's highly unlikely any trade is worthwhile for either player so just ****ing keep them and exploit other teams with your strengths.

Improve the d by plucking up solid undervalued d across the league or wait for what you have in the system. Besides, with that forward group Babs should be able to figure out how to get this team playing far more organized. This is his season to earn that money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Samples? Zone starts?

Yeah, this needs a lot of context to mean much of anything.
    Full season of data. 870:51 together, 277:16 apart.

46.72% OZ FO together, 48.7% for Slavin without Pesce.

Context favours Pesce's case.
    #freesheldon

AHL Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

And honestly? I feel like I'm being a little harsh on the team this year. On paper, without nylander this team is arguably worse than it was last year. Tavares for nylander, jvr and bozak is not necessarily an improvement. Once we see nylander join this squad that's when shit gets off the rails.

Post Thanks / Like

You're not wrong

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The improvements on the team are largely the subtractions -- Leo, Roman, Martin, Bozak. Kap, Oz, Lindholm, Tavares ... big step up defensively.
    #freesheldon

AHL Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeLeafer View Post
    The improvements on the team are largely the subtractions -- Leo, Roman, Martin, Bozak. Kap, Oz, Lindholm, Tavares ... big step up defensively.
    Eh not so different with what they ended the season with. With an aging marleau too, it's looking worse if anything.

And there's nothing wrong with that. They're the only team in the league that's about to add an all-star winger on top of an already great offensive team.

Post Thanks / Like

Marleau-Kadri-Nylander should perk Naz up some
    "...And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Dermott and Ozzy will be great gains for this team, and I believe there is more D coming up that will grow into very important pieces to our success.

As to Marner/Nylander...as long as Marner can play PK and is defensively sound I can not rate Nylander higher. I don't see him scoring so much more than Mitch that we gloss over their defensive differences.

AHL Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedsblue&white View Post
    Dermott and Ozzy will be great gains for this team, and I believe there is more D coming up that will grow into very important pieces to our success.

As to Marner/Nylander...as long as Marner can play PK and is defensively sound I can not rate Nylander higher. I don't see him scoring so much more than Mitch that we gloss over their defensive differences.
    I mean you can't go wrong either way. Nylander is a far better 5 on 5 scorer and marner seems to be a pp magician. Nylander adds some versatility to the lineup with his ability to play center. Marner can kill penalties (although I don't think he's particularly good defensively).

I am cool with those who rate marner higher. I just don't think enough separates them to think that one is tradable and the other is untouchable. At the end of the day though, just ****ing keep them both and we'll be watching the most entertaining hockey in the NHL for the next 5-10 years. Poor us.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprising we still have heard nothing at all. My hope was we get the deal done within 7 days of the meeting.
    #Auston316

Post Thanks / Like

would suck to have to break up the band this early. I figured they'd at least be able to get a bridge done and kick the can down the road for a bit.
    "...And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930