• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

If he really wants to stay in Toronto long term, this is the dumbest move he could make.

If they know they’re in for another round of this in a few years, they’ll trade him before they get there.

If he really wants to stay in Toronto long term, this is the dumbest move he could make.

If they know they’re in for another round of this in a few years, they’ll trade him before they get there.
Not necessarily. If the cap keeps going up and Willy establishes himself as a key member of this team's core group, they could potentially still find the money to keep him for his next contract too.

We better hope the cap goes way up.

No way we can pay AM, JT, MM, and WN over 10M each and still have anything resembling a defense. Sandin and Lilly would need to be young stars.

If we sign Nylander to a bridge he's likely gone before the end of it. That is the choice he is making right now. Can't blame him for wanting to maximize his earnings. Just give this team the next 3 seasons and hopefully a cup.

I am 100% ok with this.

We better hope the cap goes way up.

No way we can pay AM, JT, MM, and WN over 10M each and still have anything resembling a defense. Sandin and Lilly would need to be young stars.

You can do it if you can trade Zaitsev and get Marleau on the LTIR or some other arrangement. You'd likely have to unload a Brown as well, but he can be replaced with a guy like Bracco, Moore, Marchment, Engvall or the like.

Zaitsev's and Marleau's contracts are the big obstacles right now.

People like to think Marleau and Zaitsev’s deals are a problem. In reality they are not issues, both could be moved without any retention.

People like to think Marleau and Zaitsev’s deals are a problem. In reality they are not issues, both could be moved without any retention.

In Zaitsev's case, you'd surely have to find a team without an analytics department. The only way I see someone taking Marleau's contract is to hit the cap floor (hello, Arizona!).

Thats what people said about Tampa and Kucherov but it wasn't a problem. Its much more preferable to have Willy locked in long term now at a good rate like Colorado did with MacKinnon, or Winnipeg did with Scheifele, or Nashville did with Forsberg, or Boston did with Pasternak, etc. A bridge deal makes everything more expensive in the long run, but not unaffordable.

Well marleau's NMC is kind of an issue. Dude clearly wanted that security when signing the contract that he'd be in Toronto for three years, with a young family and all.

Marleau will be paid a 3 million signing bonus on July 1st. After that he'll be on the hook for 1.25 million. A team like Arizona/Carolina would probably take that deal and have him ride it out on LTIR. A late round pick to add a 6.25 million cap hit probably saves them real dollars.

Anyone who thinks Marleau is moving anywhere before his three year deal is up is living in a fantasy-land, IMO.

But I do think Zaitsev and his deal is entirely moveable.

Marleau will be paid a 3 million signing bonus on July 1st. After that he'll be on the hook for 1.25 million. A team like Arizona/Carolina would probably take that deal and have him ride it out on LTIR. A late round pick to add a 6.25 million cap hit probably saves them real dollars.

Only chance is a Lou injury. Because he ain't agreeing to move his family to Arizona. And if he retires leafs are still on the hook. There's a reason he has a NMC for all three years.

Odds are he's staying for all three years.

Marleau might be open about relaxing his NMC if he spends half a season in the pressbox. Also, this move to Toronto is not seen as permanent by the Marleaus, from what I've read. They plan on moving back to California. I don't think he's particularly stuck on staying in Toronto as having some control over where he might land.

Marleau might be open about relaxing his NMC if he spends half a season in the pressbox. Also, this move to Toronto is not seen as permanent by the Marleaus, from what I've read. They plan on moving back to California. I don't think he's particularly stuck on staying in Toronto as having some control over where he might land.

Eh. No one likes being traded. Giving him the NMC is the only reason he signed the deal in the first place. Moving your young family from place to place sucks, especially when you don't know when it's coming or to where. I just don't see him waiving it. Have to think they're stick with him for three years unless dubas pulls a Lou and sends him to robidas island.

And for the record, that's how I justified the signing at first too. "Oh it's basically a two year deal!" But it isn't really. They would have never given him a full on NMC for all three years.

He might not be stuck on Toronto and only Toronto, but why the hell would the guy accept a trade to Arizona for the last year of his career. Only way that is a possibility is if he retires.

otherwise you are looking for a contender with $6 mill in cap space to spend on a 2nd/3rd line winger.

But Marleau's contract isn't really a big problem. They have $30+ mill in space next year and then he is gone.

Eh. No one likes being traded. Giving him the NMC is the only reason he signed the deal in the first place. Moving your young family from place to place sucks, especially when you don't know when it's coming or to where. I just don't see him waiving it. Have to think they're stick with him for three years unless dubas pulls a Lou and sends him to robidas island.

Which is why I said him having control over where he lands is the key. I don't think he's bent on living in Toronto.

All this being said, I never partook in the fantasy that this was a two-year deal. Nor do I think any of this is likely. It's just a scenario where he might agree to relax his NMC -- stuck in the pressbox with a family that has no attachment to Toronto.

Yeah it's possible I suppose. But not exactly the most likely of scenarios. It's more than likely we'll be seeing him this year and next.

It's pretty obvious that Marleau's not planning to continue living in Toronto for the long haul. He spent the first 19 years of his adult life living in California, he married a California girl, his four kids were born & raised there, and that's where he and his family head back to once the season is over.

But "not stuck on living in Toronto" is very different from "being willing to either uproot his large young family and live in some other city for one year", or "being willing to leave his wife and kids on their own either in Toronto or San Jose while he goes off to play in some other city for a year".

And that's not even taking the competitive aspect of this into consideration. He's a hall of fame player near the end of the road when it comes to his playing career, and he doesn't yet have a Stanley Cup. So...he's going to be willing to waive his NMC and forego his final shot at competing for a championship in order to finish up his career for whatever bottom-feeder is willing to trade for his cap hit?

Fantasy-land stuff.

Back