• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Will Nye Contract Dispute thread

I thought the point is that we could "trade" him and then he would retire, so he could move wherever he wanted.

If he "retires" its no problem. Someone would take the contract just like people have traded for Datsyuk, Pronger, Savard etc contracts.

If he wants to play it'll probably be tough to move him because of his NMC.

I thought the point is that we could "trade" him and then he would retire, so he could move wherever he wanted.
Sure, but that only works if he's willing to retire after this season.

That's no sure bet, especially if he doesn't get his Cup with the Leafs this year and/or he still feels he can play.

Yeah I figured it would be more of a zetterberg situation if anything. "My back hurts so I can't play but I still want to get paid."

There's only 1.25m of salary for 2019/20 after that bonus gets paid though. After tax that's still some cash - I certainly wouldn't retire. But maybe Marleau, with $80m is career earnings, might?

When he first signed it, it seemed pretty obviously a 2 year deal with a trip to Robidas Island for year 3. But if he's still productive and wants to play, not everyone enjoys that all-expenses-paid vacation. For a guy who hasn't missed a game in the last 9 seasons, he doesn't exactly seem like the kind of guy who's going to walk away easily, especially if, as you mention, maybe he would like one more chance at that cup win.

If he still wants to play, I would guess the only spot he'd accept a deal to would be SJ, and they're pretty up against the cap as it is. I still think there's a pretty solid chance that he doesn't play for the Leafs next year for some reason, but I think it's far from assumed to be the case.

But "not stuck on living in Toronto" is very different from "being willing to either uproot his large young family and live in some other city for one year", or "being willing to leave his wife and kids on their own either in Toronto or San Jose while he goes off to play in some other city for a year".

His family isn't large. They may well welcome moving to a place without winter, having spent their lives in California up until last year. It's all specualtion, but moving the wife and kids for your job is not unusual, much less fantasy-land stuff.

In terms of the competitive stuff, if he's done and can't get in the lineup regularly, I don't think it will weigh much at all.

He's a bit of a dick, but Dean Blundell is saying that a deal is done, Blundell has been surprisingly accurate. Saying it's not short-term. We'll see.

Hearing @Leafs and Nylander continue strong dialogue for potential resolution. To my knowledge no pending deal as of yet but talk of possible 6 yr term being discussed. Allows Leafs to lock in 1st UFA yr while raising his AAV. Speculation on my part but
thinking 6.5-7m per - Kypreos

@RealKyper
Hearing @Leafs and Nylander continue strong dialogue for potential resolution. To my knowledge no pending deal as of yet but talk of possible 6 yr term being discussed. Allows Leafs to lock in 1st UFA yr while raising his AAV. Speculation on my part but
thinking 6.5-7m per

I would really like to believe this little tidbit about a six-year deal is true, but when was the last time Kypreos ever broke significant news?

From what I am hearing a deal will be done shortly, apparently the Dubas visit in Switzerland changed a lot here

From now on maybe they just start with a 1 on 1 player-Dubas meeting, since it seems no one can resist his charms.

Back