• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Islanders 10/4 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Wake up, it’s the regular season!

After a 5-0-1 preseason that gave the Caniac Nation more hope than in many years, these games count in the standings. Lots of change on and off the ice. Rod Brind’Amour is remaking the team in his image. There are 5 rookies among 13 forwards on the roster on the roster and new faces on D and in goal. Coach Brindy did a lot of mixing and matching with the forward lines, so we won’t know for sure who’s playing with who until the morning skate.

The Islanders went through a similar upheaval after missing the playoffs for the 2nd consecutive year. Lou Lamoriello is running the front office and Barry Trotz is behind the bench. They also lost some guy named Tavares in free agency. They still have reigning Calder Trophy winner Mathew Barzal, who led the team in scoring and was 5th in the league with 63 assists. Josh Bailey had 71 points in 76 games. Thomas Greiss is back in goal, coming off a 3.82/.892 season. He’s joined by newcomer Robin Lehrer who was 3.01/.908 in 53 games in Buffalo last season.

Gates open at 5:30, there is a South Plaza Party. Petey Pablo will be the siren sounder. Rally towels are already on the seats.

It’s a new world in the broadcast booth too. John and Tripp will simulcast the TV call on the radio.

And here is something to get you in the mood.

[video=youtube_share;bg2G5gf9GHk]https://youtu.be/bg2G5gf9GHk[/video]

From Michael Smith.

Today is Justin Williams’ 37th Birthday. He was drafted by the Flyers in the first round of the 2000 Draft. That was 3 months after Andrei Svechnikov was born.

Lines and pairings at the morning skate:

Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Foegele-Staal-Williams
McGinn-Necas-Zykov
Martinook-Wallmark-Svechnikov

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Pesce

PDG and Fluery are the extras. I don’t think those lines are any great surprise. I kind of thought that Ferland would end up with the Finns. He’s a space eater who will also make sure there are no liberties taken. Foegele on the shut down line makes too much sense not to do it, but can Staal and Williams keep up with him? And I’m not worried about Svechnikov on the 4th line, he’ll get plenty of PP time and can fill in after a kill with Foegele, Staal and McGinn all on the PK units.

Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Foegele-Staal-Williams
McGinn-Necas-Zykov

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Pesce

PDG and Fluery are the extras. I don’t think those lines are any great surprise. I kind of thought that Ferland would end up with the Finns. He’s a space eater who will also make sure there are no liberties taken. Foegele on the shut down line makes too much sense not to do it, but can Staal and Williams keep up with him? And I’m not worried about Svechnikov on the 4th line, he’ll get plenty of PP time and can fill in after a kill with Foegele, Staal and McGinn all on the PK units.

It's nice to finally see the Canes with some size and grit that can respond to a physical challenge...additions like Ferland, Martinook, Foegele, Zykov and Svech give you tons of size and the ability to bang and crash. The Islanders brought back Matt Martin into the fold, so expect that old Isles combo on the fourth line of Czikas, Clutterbuck and Martin to try and stir things up.

It's nice to finally see the Canes with some size and grit that can respond to a physical challenge...additions like Ferland, Martinook, Foegele, Zykov and Svech give you tons of size and the ability to bang and crash. The Islanders brought back Matt Martin into the fold, so expect that old Isles combo on the fourth line of Czikas, Clutterbuck and Martin to try and stir things up.

The Islanders problem is that what you call their 4th line is their 3rd. Here is how they lined up at their skate.

Beauvillier - Barzal - Bailey
Lee - Nelson - Eberle
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Komarov - Filppula - Fritz

Pelech-Pulock
Hickey-Leddy
Sbisa-Boychuk

Greiss in net.

Last edited:

Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Foegele-Staal-Williams
McGinn-Necas-Zykov

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Pesce

I'm liking this lineup, which on paper, seems like any of these lines can put up points. There's a good combination of energy and grit.

Landing at RDU In 90 minutes...stopping in at my office to change into my jersey and heading to the PNC...can’t wait...GO CANES!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whew ... bust day. Disney Cruise Line 2020 spring release including one brand new port and two very rare Hawaiian sailings. My brain is well and truly fried ... so I'm all set for Canes hockey, baby.

Thoughts on the lines ... no real shockers. They obviously would rather take it slow with both Necas and Svechnikov, but circumstances at center mean they've got to rely on the razor thin Czech to hold down a top 3 job for now. I like Ferland playing bad cop on the top line with the Finns. I think that will give them the cover they so sorely lacked last year when pretty much everybody we played took free shots at both of them. And I love Foegele with the two old grunts on the checking line. Nice fit. Sadly though, that leaves us with a distinctly rummage sale sort of feel to that third line. I like the mix there significantly less, but hey ... the roster is what it is.

Here's hoping the boys can kick this thing off right.

Old habits die hard it seems. Honestly, with some puck luck it really should be 4-1 Canes, sadly we have watched this show too many times before. Maybe the Hockey Gods can provide some third period magic for the Canes and the full house on hand.

Lee holds Pesce to keep him from clearing the puck no call Leads almost directly to the goal.

Lee holds Pesce to keep him from clearing the puck no call Leads almost directly to the goal.

My favorite though was the trip on Williams late third that clearly prevented a grade A scoring chance...that’s another Tim Peel Special!!!

lots of shots but many were low quality. Also it seemed a lot of time nobody was in front of the net. I guess they stole a point is the best way to put it.

Too much Bad Billy P. still to purge out of thier system. Faulk was terrible. Hamilton wasn't much better. Tons of quantity in shots, little quality. This has to change. That's not the game we saw in preseason.

Too much Bad Billy P. still to purge out of thier system. Faulk was terrible. Hamilton wasn't much better. Tons of quantity in shots, little quality. This has to change. That's not the game we saw in preseason.

All of the above. Wonder why Hamilton go next to no time on the PP? He and Faulk had been on the points of he first unit.

All of the above. Wonder why Hamilton go next to no time on the PP? He and Faulk had been on the points of he first unit.

I made the same observation during the game. I liked them both on the point on the same PP unit. I then thought Roddy was splitting them up and Dougie would be on the 2nd unit and he just wasn't. I can't believe that you'd bring a guy lake that in and not use him-- unless there was something else going on...

I thought the effort was good and the chances they generated were good. A little sloppy and mistakes you're going to see with a lot of young players in their first season.

Goaltending was reasonable although exciting. Defense was pretty good. They generated chances on offense.

The hold on 22 in OT was just a terrible miss and lead directly to their game winning goal. Not only did he get held, he kept getting held for several seconds.

It seemed like Foegle on the Aho line (in pre-season) worked better than Ferland although Ferland does give them some operating room and protection.

Still a loss to the Islanders is a loss you can't afford to take.

Back