• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Darling is headed to Charlotte on a rehab assignment. The Cherkers play in Utica on Wednesday, he could be back for the Sharks game on Friday.

Darling is headed to Charlotte on a rehab assignment. The Cherkers play in Utica on Wednesday, he could be back for the Sharks game on Friday.

Given the history I'd be happier if they gave Darling 2 or 3 rehab starts. The Cherks are playing great so he shouldn't have to deal with anything other than his own business in net, and while neither of the Canes keepers are going great, they aren't stinking up the joint either. No rush ... make sure the guy is ready. I really don't want his first NHL east of the season to be the freaking Sharks. Just get him polished up for the road trip to start November.

Given the history I'd be happier if they gave Darling 2 or 3 rehab starts. The Cherks are playing great so he shouldn't have to deal with anything other than his own business in net, and while neither of the Canes keepers are going great, they aren't stinking up the joint either. No rush ... make sure the guy is ready. I really don't want his first NHL east of the season to be the freaking Sharks. Just get him polished up for the road trip to start November.

He can stay for 14 days. The Cherkers are in Utica on Wednesday, Binghamton on Friday and Syracuse on Saturday. I think it would be better if he played the first 2 games, flew back on Saturday and played Sunday at home against the Islanders. But the plan is probably to start him Friday against the Sharks in a cross-conference game rather than a divisional game as the first one back.

He can stay for 14 days. The Cherkers are in Utica on Wednesday, Binghamton on Friday and Syracuse on Saturday. I think it would be better if he played the first 2 games, flew back on Saturday and played Sunday at home against the Islanders. But the plan is probably to start him Friday against the Sharks in a cross-conference game rather than a divisional game as the first one back.

And again ... I don't get the rush. There's no fire here that Scott Darling will put out. We've got bigger fish to fry and there's absolutely no need to rush a guy coming off one of the worst seasons a professional keeper has ever posted in the NHL.

I agree there should be no rush and if he looks rusty this week he might stay with Charlotte for more than 1 game. Chicago put their #3 goalie Forsberg on waivers so maybe Toronto picks him up.

Calvin Pickard has not been good for Philly. Once Neuvirth is ready Pickard will be back on waivers with very little value to anyone except the Leafs who, if they are the only claim, can put Pickard directly in the AHL.

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is reporting "A couple league executive have told that the Carolina Hurricanes are open for business. There is talk they may have called the Leafs about Nylander."

Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun is reporting "There were five teams that had two scouts each at the Maple Leafs-Penguins game on Thursday – Carolina Hurricanes, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, Tampa Bay Lightning, and the St. Louis Blues (played the Leafs on Saturday)."

"The Hurricanes have been long speculated as a potential trading partner as they are deep on the blueline, with Justin Faulk‘s name being mentioned."

Lyle Richardson is reporting: That Pesce might be the better offer and that Dubas and Waddell talked briefly about Faulk, but Nyander was not mentioned.

HockeyPat reports he would like to have Nylander's services, but does not think he is worth $8 or $8.5 per season.

Last edited:
Couple of things about that ...

- Open for business isn't the same thing as "100% in for Nylander, offering Faulk." Toronto has blue line needs and we have at least one we could move ... that doesn't mean it has to be Faulk. And Toronto, last I checked, has forwards who might fit the Canes' needs other than the one named Nylander.

- Based on what I'm seeing on Twitter during game nights, Carolina is DEFINITELY out there scouting HARD right now; sending multiple scouts to Leafs and Pens games in particular. Given our still meager scouting resources, we're certainly looking at the possibility of doing something.

- I 100% think that our solid to better than solid start combined with our weakness down the middle SHOULD put us in the trade market. That's the kind of proactive thinking that I think we can all agree that we were missing under prior management. You've got a glaring need or two, and since you're off to a good start for once maybe doing something about that now can turn a good start into a great middle of the season.

- And yeah ... I'm with Pat on Nylander. I like him. I just don't $8 million a year like him. Still ... he'd absolutely make us better and maybe the very real risk of over-paying him is worth it. That's a value judgement that's really up to the owner, as it's his money.

Last edited:
I can't see the Canes paying Nylander $8 million+ for a long time without knowing for sure he would be able to play center.

As you correctly noted JB, while the buzz might be Nylander to the Canes for D the Canes have other less expensive needs the Leafs might be able to fill. We need to be careful here though and stick to our guns with our trade demands. The Leafs very well might be 1 or 2 solid DMen away from winning the Cup. If the Canes are really going to entertain trading Pesce to them, by all means the return coming back needs to be fantastic. Nazem Kadri? I'm not quite sure that is enough. The Leafs are going to be peddling Kadri, or Zach Hyman or Connor Brown. Don't do it Canes...keep the demand at Nylander and if the Leafs think they can get a player like Pesce for some of their lesser forwards good luck to them. If they want to take Justin Faulk for Kadri...MAYBE that is good enough. I want more for Pesce.

I'd seriously consider Kadri for Faulk. If the price is Pesce, then it would have to be Nylander or a pretty doggone good package to go with Kadri. For one thing, Kadri is 28 already and set with a $4.5 mil per year contract until he's 31. Pesce isn't even done growing into his game and he's already a darned reliable right sider with a ton of experience. He won't go cheaply.

For the record, I do think Kadri would fix a lot of our depth problems down the middle. He's not a first line center but I'm OK with the first line as it is, thank you very much ... at least for now. Kadri would fix that Wallmark line, but good. Put Svechnikov on one wing and somebody with some grunt on the other and get out of the way ... or shift Wallmark over to the other wing and shoot for goals instead of balance. He was pretty good there in his audition appearances last spring. Also, dangling a line with Svechnikov in front of him takes a bit of the sting out of the move for Kadri. You pout less when presented with really exciting young line mates.

Last edited:
Back