• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

I'd seriously consider Kadri for Faulk. If the price is Pesce, then it would have to be Nylander or a pretty doggone good package to go with Kadri. For one thing, Kadri is 28 already and set with a $4.5 mil per year contract until he's 31. Pesce isn't even done growing into his game and he's already a darned reliable right sider with a ton of experience. He won't go cheaply.

For the record, I do think Kadri would fix a lot of our depth problems down the middle. He's not a first line center but I'm OK with the first line as it is, thank you very much ... at least for now. Kadri would fix that Wallmark line, but good. Put Svechnikov on one wing and somebody with some grunt on the other and get out of the way ... or shift Wallmark over to the other wing and shoot for goals instead of balance. He was pretty good there in his audition appearances last spring. Also, dangling a line with Svechnikov in front of him takes a bit of the sting out of the move for Kadri. You pout less when presented with really exciting young line mates.

Kadri is a true two-way center that the Canes could sorely use up the middle for years to come. Faulk for Kadri would be a great trade for both teams if the Leafs are set on signing Nylander long term, that's better use of their cap allotment to fill the Leafs need for a right shot D. Kadri has put together two straight 30 goal seasons and does that while playing against many of the oppositions top lines.

Adding Kadri would do wonders for the Canes in terms of depth down the middle.

The problem of course is that opens up a gaping hole at 3C for the Leafs. Even though Kadri is now a 3C and his offense has taken a predictable nose dive so far this season, the Leafs don't have anyone readily available to put in that 3C spot. Nylander could work there, but he's not exactly going to excel in a checking role. It looks good on paper of course, the Leafs really need a solid NHL Dman. But Kadri is harder to part with than it might seem for the Leafs.

The problem of course is that opens up a gaping hole at 3C for the Leafs. Even though Kadri is now a 3C and his offense has taken a predictable nose dive so far this season, the Leafs don't have anyone readily available to put in that 3C spot. Nylander could work there, but he's not exactly going to excel in a checking role. It looks good on paper of course, the Leafs really need a solid NHL Dman. But Kadri is harder to part with than it might seem for the Leafs.

Yeah ... in a lot of ways, it would be easier, in the short run at least, for them to move Nylander. At least they've proven they can kick butt offensively without him around.
I mean, that would be a wildly stupid sounding statement as recently as last spring, but ... it's not really an exaggeration. Or at least not a huge one.

Ive yet see see enough out of Nylander to suggest he's an 8 million dollar player. No thanks.

He's coming off back to back 61 point seasons with 22 goals the first year and 20 the next. An $8 million cap hit is top 20 in the league. There are 3 guys about his age making that money: McDavid, Eichel and Draisatl. The next youngest is Ryan Johansen at 25. If Nylander is worth that, what's Aho worth? That throws the Canes salary structure out of whack, not just for the high end guys, but the middle 6 too.

The Canes are going to need to pay Aho somewhere between $8-9 million per regardless of what happens with Nylander. They might have gotten away with $7-8 million before this season started, not anymore.

As awesome as Aho has been his first 2 seasons, the guy out there flying around now is even better and looks every bit like a true NHL superstar with 80-100 point potential. Not sure where he found this additional gear but glad he had it.

I'm OK with Faulk being moved. No way should we move Pesce. He's a true Top 4 defenseman and a righty to boot with a bunch of upside still. Now, Tavares for Pesce I would do, but not Nylander. No way!!! Just say no, Don.

Perfectly fine with playing musical rookies. Roy has more offensive upside but I still would swap McGinn and Martinook….

Cool. I'm looking forward to Roy getting a few looks. He's earned it with his start.

I love that there's no trace of favoritism with Roddy (not that I'm surprised by that). So different from certain previous regimes.

...As awesome as Aho has been his first 2 seasons, the guy out there flying around now is even better and looks every bit like a true NHL superstar with 80-100 point potential. Not sure where he found this additional gear but glad he had it.

I tune in just to watch him skate. He's like DiMaggio roaming center field.

Perfectly fine with playing musical rookies. Roy has more offensive upside but I still would swap McGinn and Martinook….

This ... on both counts. Although I’ve got a suspicion that Brandy is comfortable with those bottom two lines being pretty well balanced in terms of style and even strength usage.

And one thing Vellucci has talked about a couple of times is that he’s setting up the Checkers expecting multiple call ups during the year, and he’s told his guys that they need to earn those call ups with their level of play. I think we should get used to at least one forward slot being and up and down affair ... probably all season.

He's coming off back to back 61 point seasons with 22 goals the first year and 20 the next. An $8 million cap hit is top 20 in the league. There are 3 guys about his age making that money: McDavid, Eichel and Draisatl. The next youngest is Ryan Johansen at 25. If Nylander is worth that, what's Aho worth? That throws the Canes salary structure out of whack, not just for the high end guys, but the middle 6 too.

No way I see Dundon agreeing to that salary structure or paying that type of money for something that might be. He unloaded Lindholm and to some extent Hanifin for trying the same thing. Dundon seems content to not let an RFA set his market value or pay for what might be. If this organization is telling players “you have to earn it,” then offering a player like Nylander the type of deal he thinks he deserves and is outside of the comps is the opposite.

...And one thing Vellucci has talked about a couple of times is that he’s setting up the Checkers expecting multiple call ups during the year, and he’s told his guys that they need to earn those call ups with their level of play. I think we should get used to at least one forward slot being and up and down affair ... probably all season.

I would suspect that there will be a series of call ups— at least until Rask returns.

I like Kadri much better at $4.5M per than I do Nylander at around $8M per, and I bet the Leafs do as well. If they can get Kadri for Faulk, they should do it in a heartbeat. In all honesty, I would rather keep Faulk and trade Hamilton for Kadri. Faulk has played better so far this year and I haven't seen much out of Hamilton so far, though it is early.

No way I see Dundon agreeing to that salary structure or paying that type of money for something that might be. He unloaded Lindholm and to some extent Hanifin for trying the same thing. Dundon seems content to not let an RFA set his market value or pay for what might be. If this organization is telling players “you have to earn it,” then offering a player like Nylander the type of deal he thinks he deserves and is outside of the comps is the opposite.

On the other hand, we all know Dundon is a cutting edge stats/data analysis enthusiast and those guys pretty much all love Nylander and project him to live up to that salary level. And for the record, while those guys liked Hanifin, Lindholm's expanded stats were nothing special. Kind of like his regular stats. The value crunchers weighted that trade with Calgary pretty much even ... and it's been good for both clubs, at least through the early weeks of the season.

Not advocating here. Just saying that more thought is required than looking at Nylander's first couple of seasons and saying "I don't see it."

Not advocating here. Just saying that more thought is required than looking at Nylander's first couple of seasons and saying "I don't see it."

Agreed-- the one interesting caveat with Nylander is that his point totals and stats were achieved with less ice time than those comps being used. I think he averaged about 16 minutes per game versus say the TOI of a Pasternak. So, the question is what would his stats be like if her were averaging 20+ minutes per game?

Agreed-- the one interesting caveat with Nylander is that his point totals and stats were achieved with less ice time than those comps being used. I think he averaged about 16 minutes per game versus say the TOI of a Pasternak. So, the question is what would his stats be like if her were averaging 20+ minutes per game?

And a fully mature player? I think a lot of people look at his age and see that he's older than a lot of kids like Aho entering their 3rd full season in the NHL, but he's only had two full seasons ... and most of that in a support role. Yet both of those seasons were 60 point affairs. I dunno. He's a really good all purpose forward with a ton of upside. The question really boils down to how much you trust that upside.

I go back and forth between do I want him at $8 mil or not.

I think he would be a difference maker, but we need to pay Aho and Teravainen. Fleury should be resigned too. Justin looks like he has another year in him. I think FerDaddy is up for a raise. Plus I have high hopes for Roy, Foegele and I am also Koo Koo for Kuokkanen.

I'm no mathematician, oh wait, I actually am. That's got to be more money than we can afford. Not a cap issue but a "how much dough" will our Owner pony up when the ink is red. I guess when Amazon and Apple put their headquarters here they will be falling all over each other to advertise with the Canes and we can go all Toronto Maple Leafs. But until then, I'd really like to save a million here and a million there. You know the old joke about that adding up to real money, right? I think it's huge in our market.

Back