• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Hmmm that gives us exactly 12 forwards and 6 Dmen if PDG is sent down with no callup. Roy might still be recalled, or even McKegg. Also on D, I expect the Canes to recall Michal Cajkovsky or Trevor Carrick to be the 7th Dman. They should have done that from the beginning if Fleury was not going to play in my opinion.

Agreed. Unless they thought a deal for Faulk was imminent, keeping Fleury here was the wrong move. Once they signed Cajkovsky and kept him until the last cut, I figured he was staying.

There's a fair amount of potential benefit to what Fleury gained by being up with the team and in the practices and meetings etc. Just getting a picture of the expectations and accountability directly from Brindy would be one, especially if it included a message of "go to Charlotte and work on these things".

I don't think missing a handful of games in Charlotte is a major setback for his development...

Hmmm that gives us exactly 12 forwards and 6 Dmen if PDG is sent down with no callup. Roy might still be recalled, or even McKegg. Also on D, I expect the Canes to recall Michal Cajkovsky or Trevor Carrick to be the 7th Dman. They should have done that from the beginning if Fleury was not going to play in my opinion.

Looking at Carolina's schedule for the next two weeks, the Canes are only out of town for a one game roadie in Detroit. The Checkers are out of town this weekend, but back home from the 2rd through the end of October. So, safe enough to figure on getting through only 2 NHL games without and healthy extras ... and if something happens in the Colorado game, the Cherks are commuter flight away from the Canes Detroit game since they're in Toronto by then. So, they might wait a bit to make another call up.

After that though ... there's a West Coast/Midwest swing, so look for something to give by November 1.

PDG cleared waivers but isn't being sent to Charlotte. He can be sent down any time in the next 30 days as long as he doesn't play 10 games in that time period. So we still have 13 forwards. Also, Darling participated in practice with the full group today and says he's close but not fully cleared yet.

PDG cleared waivers but isn't being sent to Charlotte. He can be sent down any time in the next 30 days as long as he doesn't play 10 games in that time period. So we still have 13 forwards. Also, Darling participated in practice with the full group today and says he's close but not fully cleared yet.

I kind of figured that PDG wouldn't be going down given the numbers involved in the other roster move. And it'll be interesting (to me at least) to see if they decide to send Darling to the Checkers for a couple of rehab starts before throwing him into NHL games.

I kind of figured that PDG wouldn't be going down given the numbers involved in the other roster move. And it'll be interesting (to me at least) to see if they decide to send Darling to the Checkers for a couple of rehab starts before throwing him into NHL games.

Yeah, the fact that PDG isnt being sent down right away gives me the impression that he is being used as a placeholder for Darling?
Hopefully Bishop gives us some of that jam that is mysteriously absent from PDG's game.

Hard to have jam when you're charging around like a chicken with its head cut off. PDG seemed to have taken in the instruction to "play fast" and decided that was all that was required.

Pretty interesting stuff about the potential development plans for the Blue Ridge Road corridor and how that ties in with the Canes and PNC Arena...

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangl...Jf_Yd6Xb4x10IbaYmFAhstCqc-paEvC-2hT1BJ9HEsXW8

Bottom line ... it's about 20 years past time for the State to do something with their land holdings along that corridor. They have depressed commercial utilization between the hospital and Trinity Rd for a long, long time ... largely with the kinds of buildings and usage that you typically see on the fringes of the city. Of course, back in the 40s and 50s Blue Ridge Rd WAS the western fringe of Raleigh, but times change and State warehouses and the like need to give way so that the corridor can have some sort of cohesive commercial buildup. But as always with these things, getting the bloody State to ever actually DO anything is a freaking miracle. So ... we'll see.

The K-Mart at Blue Ridge and Western Blvd. is closing after the bankruptcy declaration earlier this week. That potentially opens up a huge parcel for redevelopment too.

The apartment building directly behind K Mart is available as well ... mostly because it's ALWAYS available. That thing's been a dog since the day it opened. Actually before that, because building it was a nightmare too. We had to tear out half the sheetrock during construction because of a massive mechanical engineering mistake. That building has been utterly doomed ever since. And it's twin down in Greenville, NC has been just about as bad.

The apartment building directly behind K Mart is available as well ... mostly because it's ALWAYS available. That thing's been a dog since the day it opened. Actually before that, because building it was a nightmare too. We had to tear out half the sheetrock during construction because of a massive mechanical engineering mistake. That building has been utterly doomed ever since. And it's twin down in Greenville, NC has been just about as bad.

I was in a meeting probably 20 years ago when that building behind the Kmart was in play as a candidate to be added to the retail parcel. It was an easy teardown economic decision even then.

Every five years we would get ready for redevelopment of the retail parcel, waiting to see if a Fed Ex envelope would show up with yet another 5-year extension of the lease within it. However, believe they were already on their last lease extension option before the latest announcement. So were going soon regardless of whether they wanted to or not.

Remains to be seen just how extensive the redevelopment vision may be. At one point everything was in play, including the theater parcel.

Sara Civian tweeted that the Canes put Michael Fora on unconditional waivers. He’s on an entry level deal. Are there any ramifications for the Canes or is this just so he can go back to Switzerland?

Sara Civian tweeted that the Canes put Michael Fora on unconditional waivers. He’s on an entry level deal. Are there any ramifications for the Canes or is this just so he can go back to Switzerland?

Clearing out the Checkers roster as it looks like we've made some other minor league moves. A couple of sites are using the phrase "waivers for the purposes of contract termination" so it looks like we're just cutting bait on a guy we took a flier on after a strong showing the Worlds this summer. I mean, we got a hit with Cajkovsky and a miss with Fora. I'd submit that batting .500 with free agents at the Worlds is actually quite good, considering some of the dogs we've decided to bring home from that sad little adoption showcase event in past years.

I'd also submit that I'll be happy when we're good enough to not go shopping at the Worlds every summer.

I was in a meeting probably 20 years ago when that building behind the Kmart was in play as a candidate to be added to the retail parcel. It was an easy teardown economic decision even then.

Every five years we would get ready for redevelopment of the retail parcel, waiting to see if a Fed Ex envelope would show up with yet another 5-year extension of the lease within it. However, believe they were already on their last lease extension option before the latest announcement. So were going soon regardless of whether they wanted to or not.

Remains to be seen just how extensive the redevelopment vision may be. At one point everything was in play, including the theater parcel.

Sears and K Mart should just go ahead and turn off life support now. Don't see how they can survive. Most K Marts lately are like ghost towns. I am sure someone will buy that spot since it's pretty prime real estate.

also starting in Jan for at least 3 years they are expanding Beltline to 6 lanes from Wade down to I-40. So avoid that area if you can.

and Ruutu was at practice today.

At one point everything was in play, including the theater parcel.

Based on what I've been told, the theater is still in play. If somebody wants to make a move on all three parcels, it would just take the right financial backing and it could easily happen. Of course, all three together would mean something rather significant ... like maybe another Wegmans ... which I understand has at least been discussed at some point, depending on how the first year goes over on Old Wake Forest for them. They like this market and there's no real organized neighborhood opposition over on Western. Unlike virtually every other possibility they've looked at.

None of which has anything to do with the Canes. So, apologies for the divergence.

Back