• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Rangers 10/7 5:00

And can we please stop playing our right handed D on the left side. It's brutal.
Seems Faulk hasn't or can't change his ways. Why are you so out of position?
TVR has earned a timeout.

deHann - Hamilton
Slavin - Pesce
Fleury - Faulk

I cover it in more detail above, but it's worth noting that the third paring with Fleury and Faulk is a known problem and a very retrograde "solution." I think they'll avoid it until there's no other option. My guess ... you'll see Fleury/Pesce on Tuesday night while they give the top two pairings a little bit of time to settle in.

I cover it in more detail above, but it's worth noting that the third paring with Fleury and Faulk is a known problem and a very retrograde "solution." I think they'll avoid it until there's no other option. My guess ... you'll see Fleury/Pesce on Tuesday night while they give the top two pairings a little bit of time to settle in.

Fleury/Pesce actually sounds pretty decent. Fleury looked better in the preseason then he did last year, the upside on Fleury exceeds anything TVR is going to do, period.

I think the fact that they're coddling Faulk by pairing him with a more experienced partner is an issue for the other two pairings not being very effective. The result is none of the D pairings are playing solid D. At least if you park Faulk on the third paring you can

A) Partially limit his amount of TOI
B) Allow the first and second pairs to handle the bulk of the time

deHann, Hamilton, Pesce and Slavin need to be stabilized as our core defensemen. Faulk, until he gets his head together, needs to be given a very short leash.

I think the fact that they're coddling Faulk by pairing him with a more experienced partner is an issue for the other two pairings not being very effective. The result is none of the D pairings are playing solid D. At least if you park Faulk on the third paring you can

A) Partially limit his amount of TOI
B) Allow the first and second pairs to handle the bulk of the time

deHann, Hamilton, Pesce and Slavin need to be stabilized as our core defensemen. Faulk, until he gets his head together, needs to be given a very short leash.

The sad part about coddling a struggling Faulk, is that does not speak very well for his current value on the trade front. I was hoping for a big turnaround year from Faulk with hopes of peddling him off for a center.

Never seen Jordan Staal look happier as a Cane. All smiles before and after the games. Looks like some of the pressure is off with Williams at C and more skill in the line up. Fun to play when everybody is pulling the effort rope. Exciting to see!

I thought the very same thing!

Fleury/Pesce actually sounds pretty decent. Fleury looked better in the preseason then he did last year, the upside on Fleury exceeds anything TVR is going to do, period.

I agree with that last part wholeheartedly. TVR is what he is at this point, and the best you're ever going to get out of him is what we got in the last 15-20 games of last season once he finally got his act together. Wait .... you say you barely remember him in those games?

My point exactly.

Fleury on the other hand, has actual upside. He also has virtually no comfort level out there, or at least none that he's actually earned. He's a human roller coaster, but at least the high bits are high.

The sad part about coddling a struggling Faulk, is that does not speak very well for his current value on the trade front. I was hoping for a big turnaround year from Faulk with hopes of peddling him off for a center.

Agreed. I thought there was hope for a D for C trade over the summer, but it looks like the book may be closing on Faulk and that ship is ready to set sail. The good news is that he could be an effective RD on the third pairing. Rod just needs to be careful with ice time and matchups.

Agreed. I thought there was hope for a D for C trade over the summer, but it looks like the book may be closing on Faulk and that ship is ready to set sail. The good news is that he could be an effective RD on the third pairing. Rod just needs to be careful with ice time and matchups.

I really do think that Faulk will pitch in some power play points once the PP units get settled in. We've struggled a bit in the transition to NHL penalty killing, but I think they'll get going eventually. Faulk's shot looks as lively as ever and still more accurate than last season. He'll potentially start drawing some interest in the trade market if he starts percolating at anything like his old rate of production ... presuming of course that the Canes still want to move him. Honestly, he's not playing that badly ... he's just a guy who needs a specific kind of partner.

My first reaction to the "everyone lines up and jumps into the boards" victory celebration was 'crap, no one get hurt!!!!!!' I mean, I like being different, but let's be careful out there.

My first reaction to the "everyone lines up and jumps into the boards" victory celebration was 'crap, no one get hurt!!!!!!' I mean, I like being different, but let's be careful out there.

At least the PNC doesn't have the seemless glass around the end boards. Wasn't that supposed to have been outlawed a long time ago? Did Montreal get there's changed? I think there were a few other arenas that held on to them.

I am really enjoying this team. This is a great group to root for and I really like Rod's approach to coaching. Accountability.....such a breath of fresh air from Peters.

I know this team is going to hit some dark times this year and struggle, but that is just going to make future success all that much better. So far the on ice product is a blast to root for and I am actually looking forward to watching the games again. That is a great first step for this organization and hopefully the excitement is contagious and translates into ticket sales as the year progresses. The Canes are on the right track!

I am really enjoying this team. This is a great group to root for and I really like Rod's approach to coaching. Accountability.....such a breath of fresh air from Peters.

I know this team is going to hit some dark times this year and struggle, but that is just going to make future success all that much better. So far the on ice product is a blast to root for and I am actually looking forward to watching the games again. That is a great first step for this organization and hopefully the excitement is contagious and translates into ticket sales as the year progresses. The Canes are on the right track!

I like the comment from Dundon that the Canes have to be relevant again and on the radar that gives everyone a reason to come back and wanting to come back to support the team. Great first steps out of the gate for sure! What stands out after 3 games for me is both the physical play and overall compete level from almost everybody. Finishing checks and faster to pucks on the wall, quick to pressure the opposing D in their own end to force turnovers, not afraid to go to the front of the net to get dirty to score goals (Foegele, Martinook). These are all things that really have not been around much the last few years with this team.

Back