• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Canucks 10/9 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Vancouver kicks off an extended road trip in Raleigh.

The Canes cancelled a scheduled practice in favor of video work and off ice workouts. The video should have been revealing; the defensive coverage was horrific against the Rangers with Kreider and Vesey finding huge swaths of space and the weak side wide open all night. With no practice, we’ll have to wait for the morning skate to see the lineup, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Fleury make his season debut tonight. Mrazek probably starts in goal.

Vancouver started their season splitting a home and home with Calgary. They’ve scored 9 goals but also given up 9 (2 were empty netters). The Sedins are gone, but the Canucks have their own heralded rookie, Elias Pettersson, the 5th choice in the 2017 Draft. He has 3 goals (on only 6 shots), 2 assists in just under 13 minutes per night. Bo Horvat is already -5 and Brock Boeser is -4 with no points yet. Jacob Markstrom has played both games in goal.

There are a limited number of $40 lower level tickets available with part of the proceeds going to Hurricane relief. Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

I don't see any way Fleury doesn't make his season debut tonight for TVR.

Elias Pettersson is a favorite for the Calder this season. This kid has mad skills and scoring ability. With Canes killer Bo Horvat and a healthy Brock Boeser, the Canucks can score some goals in a hurry.

Elias Pettersson is a favorite for the Calder this season. This kid has mad skills and scoring ability. With Canes killer Bo Horvat and a healthy Brock Boeser, the Canucks can score some goals in a hurry.

The Canes D certainly has to improve and lock things down better in their own zone tonight with the young guns on the Canucks. 3-0-1 to start the season would be a nice refreshing change to start the season with this club.

Yeah ... I suspect winning the game saved Mrazek's slot as the ersatz starter for now. Otherwise giving him another outing so soon after surrendering 6 goals would have been a stretch. And yeah, I'm sure the boys didn't really enjoy their "day off" if it was spent getting yelled at in the video room. Everybody in that room needed to take a cold, realistic look at their defensive zone work in the Rangers game. Now, we see how they respond.

I'm looking forward to getting a look at Pettersson tonight. By all accounts he has thus far lived up the considerable level of hype he had coming into the season. Oh, and their goalie apparently still has that hideous mask with the freaking ears painted on the side ... that's a plus???? Seriously ... Vancouver is bad and a long way from home, and the Canes need to step on their necks early.

In a bit of a curve, McElhinney goes in net tonight. No changes up front, Fleury draws in.

Foegele-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Necas-Di Giuseppe
Martinook-Wallmark-Svechnikov

Slavin-Hamilton
Fleury-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk

And, resurrecting an old tradition, and because I follow Scouting The Refs on Twitter

Referees:
Jon McIsaac #2, Kendrick Nicholson #30
Linesmen:
Shandor Alphonso #52, Tim Novak #77

Canes were 3-2 with McIsaac and 2-2 with Nicholson. Both are relative newbies, with 182 and 250 games respectively. McIsaac spreads his calls evenly through the game, 31%/38%/32%. Nicholson heavily weighted early at 40/38/23.

Fleury needs to NOT mess this up. Here's your shot to be a calm, stabilizing force, kid. You've got a good partner, now go show that you've learned not to do all that lunging around you did in the pre season.

In net ... fine. Again, we've got two backups at this point so it really doesn't matter.

Refs ... at least we don't get another veteran jackass after drawing Peel and Furlatt for the first two home games. The beauty of the newer guys is that at least you don't how exactly how they're going to screw up. So you get some drama while waiting for the inevitable.

I think I saw that McElhenney gets the start tonight. Let Mrazek and McElhenney battle for the back up job-- or keep them both in the event Darling plays like a roll of Charmin.

So far Mrazek has played small.

McElhenney stood on his head and looked bigger doing it while not straying out of position so often.

Go with the hotter hand. Check!

Like the lineup, except that I would have preferred to see Zykov instead of Di Giuseppe, but I guess Roddy wants to send a stronger message to the young Russian.

Boeser's off to a pretty slow start - nothing public has been said but rumor has it's his back. Horvat also has had a slow start (who knows how much of that due to now having to bear the brunt of being "the #1 line" on the team). Think not having the pressure of that has helped shield Pettersson for much of that (though that'll change obviously as the season goes on....).

Well thanks to the Hurricane Florence pricing I'll take my yearly game early. See you at the game

Hamilton needs to pull his skull out of his posterior, and do it quickly. He's sucked so far in the regular season.

Hamilton needs to pull his skull out of his posterior, and do it quickly. He's sucked so far in the regular season.

It started to see some daylight later on, but your assessment of his play to that point was spot on.

Foegele is a stud.

PDG is headed back to the press box.

He headed from the box to the bench, upon which his ass was stapled in the 3rd period. Aho and Teravainen took turns double shifting with McGinn and Necas.

As for Foegele, if you don’t enjoy watching him, you don’t like hockey.

Back