• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

One Week In and the Canes are rapidly gaining a reputation as the "fun" team

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
One Week In and the Canes are rapidly gaining a reputation as the "fun" team

Early days yet, but Brindy talked a lot about establishing an identity with this team, as did the owner. Not sure this was what they had in mind specifically, but if you look at both national and local coverage of the Hurricanes it centers on words like "fun," "entertaining" ... heck, I even saw one writer use "swashbuckling" with what seemed like a straight face.

I wonder what you all make of this. Frankly, we've been so boring for so long, I'm finding this all a little unsettling and find that I just don't trust any of this. In my experience, teams rarely flip a switch in the course of one summer and go from the pre-winning everything NJ Devils in the late 80s/early 90s (arguably the most boring teams of the modern NHL era) to a glory days, barnstorming version of the Edmonton Oilers. And every time I watch this team, there's a pretty loud voice in the back of my mind pointing out just how poorly disciplined our defensive zone coverage can look. I'm having trouble leaning in to the new "identity." Am I broken, or what? I mean ... it's entirely possible.

Re: One Week In and the Canes are rapidly gaining a reputation as the "fun" team

Joe Btfsplk lives!

Yes, the D zone coverage is bad, bordering on horrific sometimes. Yes, the change from Peters’ style to what we’re playing now happened so fast it induced whiplash. Yes, it may be short term. So what? It’s not like they’re asking you to have fun when they’re not. They’re not playing Jacques Lemaire hockey, sucking all the joy out of a game. The team is clearly having fun, I think the younger guys are more able to show off their youthful exuberance without being scolded, and we’re led by a captain who is 37 going on 12. RBA has talked in all of his post game pressers about making it a fun experience for us and the team is taking that to heart. Will they still carry that mood into next Saturday if they lose all 3 on the road? That’s the test, 3 contenders on the road, back to backs in Minnesota and Winnipeg. Will it continue? Who knows, we’re only 4 games into the season. But enjoy it while it’s here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk

Re: One Week In and the Canes are rapidly gaining a reputation as the "fun" team

We have to shore up our own end, but the sudden resurgence in scoring has been refreshing. They don't look snake bit anymore. That will level off im sure, but it's nice to see it now while those other issues get hopefully attended to. As far as the fun, hopefully it brings folks into the building. That is what needs to happen most of all.

The thing is, even when we were playing supposedly structured hockey under Peters, we would have horrific D breakdowns that would result in some of the easiest goals you will ever see. While our goaltending also sucked, it seemed that easy 'breakdown in coverage' goals also were too numerous to count. Sure we would limit shot against under Peters, but without looking at the numbers, I'm willing to bet that the percentage of those shots that were 'dangerous' was far higher than the majority of the league.

So as far as the breakdowns in D we are seeing over these first 4 games, I don't really see much of a difference from where we were anyway. With Hamilton and de Haan in the mix now, I think this crew will be able to 'tighten it up' as we progress while still allowing for the shift from 'think D first' to 'go get the puck, go score a goal' that we appear to be employing.

We will have to see of course how this all plays against high scoring teams (like Minny, and Winnipeg and Tampa Bay). The Jets and Bolts are so good at both ends of the ice that our 'go for broke' approach might end in disaster on the scoreboard and serve as a reminder that we cannot get away with full blown 'run and gun' against the elite teams in the league.

Yeah, I have to agree with Andy, JB. While your insights are typically prescient (and may be this time, too), just sit back, relax and enjoy it. The tough times are coming, but for now....let's have some fun.

The only head-shaking part for me is how fast the hockey media, with a few exceptions, has flipped out about all this. I mean, pre-preseason, half had us picked DFL in the Metro and the other half at 6th just above the presumably white towel-waving NY teams, for all the well-known reasons. Now, two wins that count later (I say two, because it was well underway after Sunday's game), we're the shiny object, "disrupters", etc... I prefer Bob McKenzie's take, basically "good for them, they're on the right track, I don't look at results the first couple weeks".

So I'm on both sides, but yes, enjoy it now -- there were many years in April we could have used those Week 1 wins -- as BrindyWilliams is apparently doing everything right thus far to guide the on-ice results and please the paying public. But this isn't an elite team and like water, will find its level. Hopefully these couple days video and practice can work on tightening up our so-called excellent D and we continue to get timely stops from our rummage sale goalie crew, and maybe we can still be the shiny thing when they get back home from the trip.

Last edited:

My initial thoughts:
- I do love the up tempo pressuring style and I feel we have the makings of a team to play it. The question is when we get in the middle of a long season and many of these young bucks start wearing down, can we continue that style. Might be ups and downs, which I'm actually ok with. Lavi was able to deliver that style but with more seasoned vets.
- Defense definitely has to approve (structurally) and hopefully we have the coaches to do that. There's no way we didn't get better with D personnel this year and we certainly, as a team, were pretty decent last year (except for Goalie) so hopefully with coaching, we'll get there
- JB, I chuckled, as I totally get your feelings though. I think we're in the same demographic (age) and the helter skelter aggressiveness, change in coach, Petey Pablo "raising up Carolina", all have forced my 55 year old "get off my lawn" mentality in a new direction. But I'm adapting and although skittish, I love it. haha.

Onward!

I figure they'll hit a wall late December or sometime in January. The week off it Jan. 24-31, so it will be interesting to see how much they can take advantage of it.

I have enjoyed several things about this team so far that seem like a refreshing change from the past.

They are bigger up front and are finishing more checks making the team harder to play against, the size of guys like Foegele, Svech, Martinook, Zykov shows along the boards and in front of the net where this team use to be afraid to go.

They take a lot of shots, sure other Canes teams of the past have done that, but this team looks hungrier to screen the goaltenders, work a bit harder for loose pucks and generally seem more relentless in the offensive zone.

Brindy seems like he has already established some accountability from his players, take stupid penalties then ride the pine like PDG did Monday night, go -3 and play terrible like TVR did Sunday, you earned a healthy scratch the next game. I like that from a coach, dont talk about it, do it, make these guys earn their ice time, PP opportunity, etc.

If I had one thing so far that scares me it's the lack of depth up the middle, imagine what an injury to J. Staal or Aho would do to this team at the center position. That has to be addressed. Rask is likely months away from returning, there does not seem to be any backup plan or support at the center position.

The PP and PK concern me. Both of those have to be better because there is no possible we are going to continue to score as much as we have 5v5 all season.

Here is how NHL.com 's "power rankings put that":
10. Carolina Hurricanes (3-0-1)

Total points: 72
Preseason rank: NR

Hit: The Hurricanes have outscored the opposition 16-7 at 5-on-5 through four games with goals from nine players.

Miss: They've been outscored 4-1 on special teams.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-power-rankings-super-16-oct-11-2018-19-season/c-300828020

Last edited:

And the kids play with toy cars between games.

It’s not like they’re asking you to have fun when they’re not.

To clarify ... I'm NOT saying that I'm not enjoying the start to the season. Just that I'm having a hard time buying that "Team Fun" is a thing that's going to stick. Hell, I'd like to see EVERYBODY go back to fire wagon 80s hockey. And you guys know full well that I do not advocate for dire, negative hockey like 80% of the league plays. Shoot, even Peters doesn't understand the first thing about the way that system he worships so much is supposed to actually look, since he's too driven by his own ridiculously cautious, stubborn nature. I'm good with the go-go, but I'm not sold that we've got the horses to pull this off long term.

Last edited:

Well, they said they were going for culture change and skeptical as I was about that, they seem to have pulled it off.

Only regulars remaining from last season after the off-season housecleaning are: Aho, Teravainen, Staal, Williams, McGinn, PDG, Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, TVR, and Darling.

New owner (first full season), GM, management pieces, coach, and assistant coaches.

As for the "fun team" and "entertaining" labels...well, it is. The winning is certainly a bonus. But we've asked for just show me effort during shifts for...well, forever...and we're finally getting it.

I'm certainly entertained. And, after all, it is an entertainment product.

Sustainable? Well, it's a long season. But I think, yes, it is sustainable.

There will certainly be adversity (injuries, losses, fatigue, etc.). But with as much youth as we have (who are all definitely excited to be here) and Brind'Amour as coach, I expect us to find a way to push through and prevail.

With shifts spread out over four lines and all three pairings the TOI minutes can be held to reasonable levels. And when one is actually working only 20 minutes a night, every other night or so, it's not too much to ask/expect full effort during those shifts.

As a business model, "fun" and "entertaining" are gold. Add "winning" and the sky's the limit.

Hopefully we never return to the days of the trap or even the left-wing lock we watched for years, trying to win 2-1 games. Let 'em run.

What's exciting to me is that these guys are learning to play together and adapt to the War Chief's system and style of play the more time they spend together. Film sessions will help pinpoint and eliminate errors and bad play. I also love that they're truly having fun and no longer subjected to Bill Peters' wet blanket attitude.

The current run likely won't last & will be difficult to sustain over the course of the season, but you might as well the ride the wave while you've got it. I was trying to remember the last time I truly felt joy from the play of my favorite hockey team, and honestly couldn't recall any since they skated the Cup around. Congratulations to Tom Dundon & Rod BrindAmour for changing the face and outlook of this team. I hope the Hurricanes can keep it rolling into the Playoffs and make a lot of talking heads eat their words. Under the radar is a good place to be.

I also haven't heard any whinging about Skinner being gone either.

Jim

Joe Btfsplk lives!

Yes, the D zone coverage is bad, bordering on horrific sometimes. Yes, the change from Peters’ style to what we’re playing now happened so fast it induced whiplash. Yes, it may be short term. So what? It’s not like they’re asking you to have fun when they’re not. They’re not playing Jacques Lemaire hockey, sucking all the joy out of a game. The team is clearly having fun, I think the younger guys are more able to show off their youthful exuberance without being scolded, and we’re led by a captain who is 37 going on 12. RBA has talked in all of his post game pressers about making it a fun experience for us and the team is taking that to heart. Will they still carry that mood into next Saturday if they lose all 3 on the road? That’s the test, 3 contenders on the road, back to backs in Minnesota and Winnipeg. Will it continue? Who knows, we’re only 4 games into the season. But enjoy it while it’s here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk

Big +1 here. There will be plenty of time for us all to tear into the team later once the young team hits some type of wall. Until then, I am enjoying the ride. This IS a fun team!

IF you can avoid major injuries.
IF the young players can avoid the burnout that many young player experience.

This team is legit. A team that could make it to the second round, and; Who knows with our team?

I'm enjoying it like it was 2005-2006.

Back