• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricane Michael

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I hope everyone made it through Michael unscathed. I’ve had no power for 14 hours and it will be a while longer. There is a tree down across Creedmoor Rd. That took out the lines, 2 poles and a transformer. There are no crews onsite yet. Creedmoor is closed between I-540 and Norwood, use Old Creedmoor.

Raleigh Center Ice has no power either, so no practice or media availability before the Canes head to Minnesota later.

The tropical storm didn't do a whole to my neighborhood, just some leaves and a few small branches down in my yard. The cold front, however, hoo boy! That sent the tree debris down in a very big way. Lots of large branches down in my yard and the streets are blanketed in leaves and sticks.

In my area of the Peak, we had more power blinks than during Florence, but none longer than a minute or so. Spectrum cable/internet were out for 6 or so hours last night, which we never lost during Flo. I'm not aware of any substantial damage in the area, but I know a lot of folks are still out of power (a half mil statewide). Very lucky this one was in a hurry and couldn't stay long. The pictures we're seeing from the FL panhandle are just awful.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention: we were without power in my part of Cary for about a minute total. It was just long enough to reboot the router, but other than that and lots of downed branches, we were fine.

We lost power a couple of times, but the total duration was less than 2 hours. Let's count our blessings and pray for those folks in Florida (especially in Mexico Beach) who lost everything. NC has seen its share of storms, that's for sure.

Well, I'm in Sunshine Coast, Australia...and it's pouring here!

Hope y'all are safe back home...

That was maybe the quickest moving tropical storm I can remember, and I'm an NC lifer so I've seen a fair few of the things. By the time most of the Raleigh area was clear and in damage assessment mode, the danged thing was already clear of Richmond and headed for DC and Eastern Pennsylvania.

We got lucky and had only minor power interruptions, but as you guys have noted there are giant chunks of the area without power. I don't think the flooding was that bad, but the wind damage was significant. That was a nasty little beast of a storm.

Prestonwood GCC escapes with really no damage.
The SAS SR. PGA is running on schedule.

The southern part of Wake County was pretty unscathed this time around. It was the northern part of the county that had long periods of power outage-- we were without power from 6PM to midnight. There are pockets of Raleigh without power, but nothing widespread. Had more happen last night during Michael that we did during Florence.

Slept with the windows open and enjoyed the cooler temps, cool breeze and fresh air. Lovely!

Well, I'm in Sunshine Coast, Australia...and it's pouring here!

Hope y'all are safe back home...
I found out that the Australia is playing Pakistan in the Middle East. Australia considers playing in Pakistan still a bit risky for them even though other teams have been playing in Pakistan again.

Anyway, has Usain Bolt's debut in professional soccer there in Australia making the news? He score twice yesterday.

We had the chimney cap blow off and crash land on the deck. Fortunately nobody was in its path.

Last edited:
New update from Duke. Their automated line says 11:45 tomorrow, a 24 hour improvement. But a lineman working on the problem says they’re not leaving tonight until it’s done.

That's great news

After 48 hours and 45 minutes, I have power, came back on just before 7. And my cable came back at the same time. Strangely, I didn’t lose U-Verse until this morning, it survived the first 36 hours of power outage.

Back