• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Winnipeg 10/14 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes hit Winnipeg for the back half of a back to back.

The Canes came back twice last night to beat the Wild in OT behind 2 goals and 2 assists from Aho. The downside is the Canes special teams continue to suck. On a night where they had 9 PP opportunities, they only score once while allowing 2 Wild goals in 5 chances. They’re 26th on the PP at 10.5% and 28th on the PK at 68.4%. The good news is that they’re getting it done at even strength, scoring 19 of their 22 goals at even strength.

The Jets are scuffling a bit, with a 2-2 record and being outscored 10-8. Kyle Connor leads with 3 goals, Patrik Laine only has 1 goal and 1 assist so far, after potting 44 last season. Connor Hellebuyck has played all 4 games in goal and probably goes tonight since the Jets haven’t played since Thursday.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Another tough test for this team tonight. I love the grit and determination of this team. This could be another very physical game tonight, so we're gonna need to bring it.

But we have not done so well vs backups as a team recently. Lets hope for a continuation of the red hot start to the season.

Byfuglien is out for the Jets, he’s day to day with an upper body injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, Tripp? The fact that a large percentage of the Canes drive pick-ups is indicative of the team’s character?

What a tool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really, Tripp? The fact that a large percentage of the Canes drive pick-ups is indicative of the team’s character?

What a tool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He’s an entire bag of tools.

This is a kill of consequence.

Canes deserved at least a point, no issues with anything tonight except the final score. This team really has been a joy to watch. That kind of effort most nights is two points. Onward and upward.

Solid performance, but the law of averages catches up on us. It happens. Would like to have seen a new franchise record, but....

The question is, how will the Canes respond in Tampa?

After a few games wich I have been able to see most of I can only say that I am pretty impressed so far. Yes, special teams is an issue and sometimes also scoring but if those things come together this team looks like a bonafied playoff team at least. I just can't help thinking what it would have looked like last year if Rod had been headcoach.

Until the power play improves, the results are going to look more like this.

Tough opponent coming up. Tampa is 14/14 on the penalty kill.

Speaking of the PK, they’ve allowed 7 goals in 21 opportunities. That’s just not going to cut it.

Tough opponent coming up. Tampa is 14/14 on the penalty kill.

Speaking of the PK, they’ve allowed 7 goals in 21 opportunities. That’s just not going to cut it.

Ugh. I knew the PK was bad, but didn't think it was that bad. Hopefully, they can get this sorted out with some practice time - and soon. A bad PK and a bad PP doesn't allow much room for error.

Until the power play improves, the results are going to look more like this.

The power play will get sorted out, I have found Hamilton to be slowly improving but he needs to do more and his greatest strength is providing offense from the blue line which he really has not done much of so far. I wish Rod would use his big bodies like Zykov and Foegele a bit more to cause traffic in front, you need more of a net front presence, the shots from the blue line on the PP have mostly been simple slap shots from guys like Faulk that are too easy to stop with no traffic in front.

These power play struggles are too reminiscent of years prior. Hopefully the new mix of players can figure it out.

Back