• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #7: Deposed Monarchs @ Heir Apparents, 7:30 PM, SNET Ontario

LeafGm

Well, the LA Kings have shuffled out of the seniors residence most of the team's core lives in, and are paying a visit to the ACC...er, Scotiabank hockey-playing place tonight.

The Leaf lines & defense pairings remain unchanged from the weekend, with the one notable change being Sparks coming in for Freddie:

Patrick Marleau - Auston Matthews - Kasperi Kapanen
Zach Hyman - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Par Lindholm - Nazem Kadri - Connor Brown
Andreas Johnsson - Frederik Gauthier - Josh Leivo

Morgan Rielly - Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner - Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott - Igor Ozhiganov

Sparks starting

LA's lineup for tonight:

Alex Iafallo - Anze Kopitar - Ilya Kovalchuk
Tanner Pearson - Adrian Kempe - Tyler Toffoli
Nate Thompson - Mike Amadio - Jeff Carter
Kyle Clifford - Jaret Anderson-Dolan - Trevor Lewis

Derek Forbort - Drew Doughty
Jake Muzzin - Alec Martinez
Oscar Fantenberg - Dion Phaneuf

Jack Campbell starting

Last edited:
Well playing Sparks is interesting, unless there is an illness/injury to Andersen that I am not aware of.

Good to see Sparks getting a non-B2B start. I'd guess he's in because the Kings don't score much (10 non-EN goals in 5 games). That's a fine idea, if so, to help him adjust to the NHL.

At the same time, the Leafs offense gets a chance to test one of the stingiest teams in the league. Hope LA doesn't make this a boring game.

Looks like this unexpected start for Sparks might actually be related to an injury to Freddie.

Reason is, they've recalled their ECHL goalie Eamon McAdam (he was the warm body/NHL contract we got back from the Islanders for Matt Martin) on an emergency basis. The reason why it's him is because he's pretty much all they've got when it comes to goalies signed to NHL contracts. Kasimir Kaskisuo on the Marlies is another, but he was injured on the weekend.

44065352_10160969806020029_3145833218108817408_n.jpg

Jon Rosen
‏@lakingsinsider

As noted in my lineup notes on LAKI, I’ve heard that Frederik Andersen is under the weather, and that there’s a good chance the Leafs recall Eamon McAdam to back up Sparks.

James Mirtle
The Leafs have apparently recalled Eamon McAdam. Andersen must be questionable to backup, despite taking the morning skate

https://theathletic.com/590327/2018...-maple-leafs-john-tavares-and-staying-in-l-a/

“It’s funny, some of my buddies came down from London and I was with some of them last night, just shooting the breeze,” Doughty said. “They’re like, ‘Watch out for the Leafs, look out, they’re actually good this year.’ I don’t know, I’ve heard this for 28 years at the start of every season when they win a few games. But I honestly think it is different this season. What better test for our team right now than to play the Maple Leafs when they’re hot. So we’re excited for this opportunity to hopefully put on a good show and hopefully win the game.’’

Here’s some inside knowledge for the Kings, keep a close eye on No. 34 for the Leafs, Auston Matthews, he of the NHL-leading 10 goals in six games.

“It would be nice to be the D-man there, Morgan Rielly, just dish it to him (Matthews), you get some cheesy apples, it’s pretty simple,’’ Doughty chuckled. “I’m going to chirp him tomorrow, probably.’’

and yeah, he confirms exactly what I said at the time he made those comments about the Leafs...he was just throwing it out there to keep the Kings honest:

“The things I said to the media, they were a little bit true, but at the same time I was just saying those things to make sure L.A. didn’t think I was for sure staying so they could screw me on the contract,’’ the 28-year-old Doughty said with a hearty laugh after practice Sunday.

What a dumbass.

Enjoy a decade of winning nothing in LA and watching your childhood team win some Cups.

I preferred Tavares anyway.

https://theathletic.com/590327/2018...-maple-leafs-john-tavares-and-staying-in-l-a/

and yeah, he confirms exactly what I said at the time he made those comments about the Leafs...he was just throwing it out there to keep the Kings honest:
We have suspected for years that most of these pending UFA's who start musing about how fun it'd be to come back "home" to play for the Leafs are just doing it to pressure their current teams into ponying up for them. So it is kind of funny to see one of them just come out and flat-out admit without shame that they did that. I have a certain respect for that.

What a dumbass.

Enjoy a decade of winning nothing in LA and watching your childhood team win some Cups.

I preferred Tavares anyway.
By every report, the LA Kings were actually his "childhood" team.

And I don't really see how this makes him a "dumbass". Being a young, single multi-millionaire in Los Angeles is a lot of fun, I'm sure, and with two Cup rings already in his back-pocket, there isn't the same urgency for him to leave his comfort zone to go chasing rings as there was for guys like Patrick Marleau and John Tavares.

I don't care that he stayed there, he's already accomplished all you can and lives in California unscrutinized. it's fine. only that he trolled and played with the emotions of Leaf fans for his own needs. that pisses me off.

Back