• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes at Tampa 10/16 ... 7:30 Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Back on the horse after regulation loss number one of the young season, the Canes face the Lightning in Tampa tonight. I assume Mrazek will get the nod in net following a strong performance in Winnipeg, but again ... with two backups, it doesn't really matter. I haven't heard of any other lineup shifts, so I'll let others follow up with that stuff as the morning skates yield info.

Tampa has only played 3 games thus far, and are off to a 2-1-0 start. Their offense got untracked big time in their last outing, as they throttled Columbus 8-2. The Ning are deep and talented and come at you in waves. Stamkos and Palat haven't lit the lamp yet and Callahan is on IR, but Brayden Point is off to a hot start. Again ... they've got quality depth in pretty much every department. Carolina should be pretty well versed on what they do given multiple pre season chances for a close look. By the same token Tampa isn't going to be surprised by the Canes new approach, having already dipped their feet in that pond. Now for the real deal. This is a pretty rough patch in the schedule, to be facing the Jets and Lightning in consecutive road games ... especially with such a young team. This one is a pretty tough hill to climb.

Re: GDT: Canes at Tampa 10/16 ... 7:00 Eastern

Back on the horse after regulation loss number one of the young season, the Canes face the Lightning in Tampa tonight. I assume Mrazek will get the nod in net following a strong performance in Winnipeg, but again ... with two backups, it doesn't really matter. I haven't heard of any other lineup shifts, so I'll let others follow up with that stuff as the morning skates yield info.

Tampa has only played 3 games thus far, and are off to a 2-1-0 start. Their offense got untracked big time in their last outing, as they throttled Columbus 8-2. The Ning are deep and talented and come at you in waves. Stamkos and Palat haven't lit the lamp yet and Callahan is on IR, but Brayden Point is off to a hot start. Again ... they've got quality depth in pretty much every department. Carolina should be pretty well versed on what they do given multiple pre season chances for a close look. By the same token Tampa isn't going to be surprised by the Canes new approach, having already dipped their feet in that pond. Now for the real deal. This is a pretty rough patch in the schedule, to be facing the Jets and Lightning in consecutive road games ... especially with such a young team. This one is a pretty tough hill to climb.

It would have been nice to secure at least a point in Winnipeg with as hard as the Canes worked...never like to lose a point that late in a game ever. A 1-1-1 record just looks so much better than 1-2 in a tough stretch like this...color me pleasantly surprised if the Canes manage to get any points tonight against the Bolts who are rested and stacked.

This is a tough one no doubt I'll take any points we can get. Lets see how we do against a real team. (Mommy!)
Oh sorry.... Lets see if our Rooks can show up and surprise the 'Ning.

To me it's less about how they do in this particular game, than how they react if it goes badly. I hope there's enough of youthful we-got-this swagger in the locker room to get them through the rough patches and keep those patches from becoming longer term downturns - something we've seen all too much of over the last decade.

Yeah ... I know we live game to game as fans, but keep in mind that with a team this young and with this particular roster, there are going to be nights where they get their heads handed to them. This has all the trappings of that kind of night. For a road game against a real Cup contender, I'm looking for compete level ... nothing else. Points are great, but reality is real.

Playing the Bolts tough will go a long way for this team win or lose.

If the Canes go into Tampa and win this game, after playing Winnipeg really tough in their building, pundits are going to ratchet up the Canes talk to another level. We are already garnering a lot of attention so far, that is when the pundits and experts and talking heads elect to talk about something else other than the Leafs.

No lineup changes and Mrazek in goal per Michael Smith.

The game is at 7:30, not 7. Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

No lineup changes and Mrazek in goal per Michael Smith.

The game is at 7:30, not 7. Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Guessed right, but apparently can't read a schedule .... it IS still Monday, right?

Another game, another test for this young team. So far, the Canes overall play has been remarkably consistent - plenty of hard-charging energy, solid physicality, relentless attitude, poor special team play and plenty of unforced errors. Let's hope they continue to grow the former at the expense of the latter, because this style of hockey is fun to watch.

We get Tampa’s backup tonight. Louis Domingue played 12 games for the Bolts last year after they got him from Arizona for Brock McGinn’s brother Tye and Michael Leighton. The Coyotes drafted him in the 2010 5th round with the pick they got from the Canes for Jared Staal. He was 2.89/.914 last year.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Brian Pochmara #16, TJ Luxmore #21
Linesmen:
Jonny Murray #96, Kory Nagy #97

Canes went 2-2 with both refs last last year.

Or PP continues to suck, Tyler Johnson with a shortie to equalize after Ferland scored the first. Williams was covering the point and got blown by by Joseph to set up Johnson.

So, a tackle from behind on a breakaway doesn't warrant a penalty shot? B.S.

And am I the only person who thinks Tuevo is terrible?

So, a tackle from behind on a breakaway doesn't warrant a penalty shot? B.S.

And am I the only person who thinks Tuevo is terrible?

Shoulda been a penalty shot.

It’s hard to say that Teuvo has been terrible when he’s averaging a point per game. He has 6 assists in 6 games +1 period.

I think you could swap out any other winger on that line and get results. I'm simply not impressed. Never really have been though.

Mrazek living on his knees, little goalies always down in the net is a recipe for disaster. He leaves way too much open net up top with his butterfly style.

Last edited:
Back