• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Happy Legalization Day

I'll shit on Doug Ford any opportunity I get, but I certainly won't shed any tears that he killed the Ontario Liberal plan to make Ontario retail Cannabis sales an ironclad government monopoly. And it doesn't even make much of a negative impact in the short-term either, since the Liberals were planning to open an absurdly low number of stores for the first few years of legalization. Of course, Ford does still have plenty of time to royally **** things up, so we'll see.

I'm not worried about ford ****ing up this plan. He is the only premier with experience in selling pot to the public, this is his forte.

I believe that Ontario is only province (and Territory) without stores already (legally) up and running.

The previous Liberal government had a plan for 40-60 stores to be open by now. But Ford gonna Ford.

In fairness, a truly shit Liberal structure was torn down without leaving a lot of time to set up a reasonable regulatory regime to handle retail. There are no retail stores open in Ontario today because the Liberals were a mixture of stone cold stupid and beholden to their union buddies. I'd rather not see a single retailer open their doors in Ontario until April than deal with the Liberal system getting it's roots in and becoming entrenched.

This is one of the few things Ford has done right.

To make it even weirder, Ford included a requirement that cultivation license holders can only own 1 store in the province, and it had to be located at the production facility. Which is a ham fisted way of handing the industry to smaller players and not just letting WEED, APH, ACB, etc walk in and stomp out "mom and pop" dispensaries.

He's actually trying, in this narrow case, to design regulations that don't benefit the largest corporations in the sector, or entrenched unions.

Back