• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Happy Legalization Day

Wayward DP

I must say, it is going to feel strange to light up legally.

Curious to hear people's thoughts on the different regimes. I'm in Halifax and went to the 'NSLC - Cannabis' store this morning. The government will need to step up their game to compete with the black market. I really don't know who they hired to design these stores, but IMO they did a pretty shit job. Wait was over an hour too, lineups around the block.

Online they either never had all the listed products or have already sold out of a LOT. I don't think there is enough legal supply to meet the demand. But I figured I should give the government a chance. Will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference in the quality of the legal stuff vs the street stuff.

68tvze05sos11.jpg

Well, I'm glad this day is here.

It's long overdue, and I'm reasonably confident that the cat's out of the bag on this one, and that no future Federal government will try to roll back legalization.

Day-to-day though, as an Ontario resident this doesn't really change anything for me yet. I'll just go on using it as often and in the same ways I usually do. And I'll definitely go to the stores once they open, but in the meantime, I have zero interest in mail-ordering my supplies directly from the government over the internet between now and April 1st.

Curious to hear people's thoughts on the different regimes. I'm in Halifax and went to the 'NSLC - Cannabis' store this morning. The government will need to step up their game to compete with the black market. I really don't know who they hired to design these stores, but IMO they did a pretty shit job. Wait was over an hour too, lineups around the block.

Online they either never had all the listed products or have already sold out of a LOT. I don't think there is enough legal supply to meet the demand. But I figured I should give the government a chance. Will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference in the quality of the legal stuff vs the street stuff.

A few thoughts...the Alberta/Ontario model of the province being the central supplier (basically just approving products for sale and facilitating wholesale sales) is going to be the way to go. Any province who is dabbling in retail is going to **** it up.

There are going to be shortages for a while, at least 6-12 months. I ranted about it in the blockchain/investing thread months ago when pieces were being written claiming that we were going to see an Oregon style price crash immediately in Canada. All of the big player, literally all of them, have major growspace construction projects either in the pipe, or under construction, but not producing yet. Some of them hare having massive problems with converted greenhouses (Canopy, looking at you). Demand will also come in way higher than expected imo, as literally every jurisdiction that has legalized has undershot their expected demand numbers, usually by about half.

This is a major reason I decided to stay out out of retail myself. Who wants to own a weed store that can't get steady supply for the first year of legalization? Sounds like a good way to go out of business and cost an ass pile of money. I might circle around later and look into buying a dispensary that survives the first year purge, and Ontario legislation makes that an easier playing field (any licensed producer can only have one store....so expect flagship stores from the LP's, with franchised locations throughout the province)

Over time, things will settle in. The fact that there's a legal option, and a legal option that's not completely insanely priced, will force people down that path. It's the same way that I would much rather pay the 10 bucks a month for Netflix than worry about torrenting movies, even if the selection is not quite the same, it's just a lot easier to handle it legally.

I think Ontario doing the private stores will be a good thing. Pretty sure people are going to "trust" those places more than some unionized worker in a government run store, although it will definitely be a little sketchy for a lot of people at the start. Ordering by mail seems super weird, and other than the novelty of it, I can't see that staying around once all the provinces have stores on the ground ready to sell.

I don't use the stuff, but with the amount of people that do, there is no way people should be getting charged over it and governments not getting a part of the market.

Will be curious to see how much money different levels of government bring in.

Yep. Legalize prostitution next and we can go about eliminating police time spent on enforcing 1800's era "moral" crime with no victims.
Yeah, that would be a nice next step. But I suspect we'll have to wait at least another 10-15 years for more of the baby boomers and older religious folks to die off before that becomes a conversation any major political party is willing to engage in.

Yeah, that would be a nice next step. But I suspect we'll have to wait at least another 10-15 years for more of the baby boomers and older religious folks to die off before that becomes a conversation any major political party is willing to engage in.

As long as that's regulated like Germany and not a free for all where women who need help fall through the cracks.

A few thoughts...the Alberta/Ontario model of the province being the central supplier (basically just approving products for sale and facilitating wholesale sales) is going to be the way to go. Any province who is dabbling in retail is going to **** it up.

There are going to be shortages for a while, at least 6-12 months. I ranted about it in the blockchain/investing thread months ago when pieces were being written claiming that we were going to see an Oregon style price crash immediately in Canada. All of the big player, literally all of them, have major growspace construction projects either in the pipe, or under construction, but not producing yet. Some of them hare having massive problems with converted greenhouses (Canopy, looking at you). Demand will also come in way higher than expected imo, as literally every jurisdiction that has legalized has undershot their expected demand numbers, usually by about half.

This is a major reason I decided to stay out out of retail myself. Who wants to own a weed store that can't get steady supply for the first year of legalization? Sounds like a good way to go out of business and cost an ass pile of money. I might circle around later and look into buying a dispensary that survives the first year purge, and Ontario legislation makes that an easier playing field (any licensed producer can only have one store....so expect flagship stores from the LP's, with franchised locations throughout the province)

I will love you forever for getting me into this sector. Was able to pull off a terrific buy today when APH dipped to 16.85 near open. Definitely have learned a lot dating back to my January blunders.

I just checked out this Ontario Cannabis Store and I could not stop giggling at discovering that my government is selling bongs. Down the rabbit hole we go.

I believe that Ontario is only province (and Territory) without stores already (legally) up and running.

The previous Liberal government had a plan for 40-60 stores to be open by now. But Ford gonna Ford.

I'll shit on Doug Ford any opportunity I get, but I certainly won't shed any tears that he killed the Ontario Liberal plan to make Ontario retail Cannabis sales an ironclad government monopoly. And it doesn't even make much of a negative impact in the short-term either, since the Liberals were planning to open an absurdly low number of stores for the first few years of legalization. Of course, Ford does still have plenty of time to royally **** things up, so we'll see.

yeah, Ford is all kinds of awful, but on cannabis he got it right. the delay is also kinda offset by the prevalence of illegal dispensaries still kicking.

yeah, Ford is all kinds of awful, but on cannabis he got it right. the delay is also kinda offset by the prevalence of illegal dispensaries still kicking.

Yep. The Lib plan had what, like 5 stores in Toronto? I'm sure people can wait a few months to get the licenses figured out in order to buy in store.

I'll shit on Doug Ford any opportunity I get, but I certainly won't shed any tears that he killed the Ontario Liberal plan to make Ontario retail Cannabis sales an ironclad government monopoly. And it doesn't even make much of a negative impact in the short-term either, since the Liberals were planning to open an absurdly low number of stores for the first few years of legalization. Of course, Ford does still have plenty of time to royally **** things up, so we'll see.

I'm not worried about ford ****ing up this plan. He is the only premier with experience in selling pot to the public, this is his forte.

Back