• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs Vs Blues

Just get this Willy shit done with and the lines balanced properly

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

our Babcock poster saw this coming. we weren't playing that well when we were winning. these are nice wake up calls.

It’s starting to get pretty clear that this team lives and dies by Matthews. Not just this year, but in the prior playoffs too.

Tavares is amazing, but everything flows through Matthews.

When he’s on, the rest pile on. When he’s not, somehow everyone gets contained. And he’s been crap the last two games.

That said, Matthews didn't actually have a bad game. He was one of the better players for the Leafs.

I still can't get over the fact (although I've seen it before) that Babcock put the fourth line out after the Leafs scored their first goal in six periods with 15 minutes left in the game. Way to pounce on it. It just killed any momentum they could have gained, as Babcock robotically matched lines.

From everyone's favourite guy to hate on twitter:

Dp_vdxdV4AElUOz.jpg

The matchup master ... get a new schitck, Mike. Or maybe rethink who you're matching. This is pretty conclusive evidence that Babcock hasn't a clue when matching up -- it's actually a disadvantage to have him making these calls.

He's tired. Marleau weighs 215 lbs.

He’s been underwhelming, for sure, and is begging to be back with Kadri. He has no chemistry with Matty. They tried it early on last year too, if I recall, and nothing was clicking. I think Matty is maybe forcing it since he’s so close to Marleau, one of his demands from the offseason meeting with Babs.

Willy’s holdout really needs to end so we can shuffle the first and third lines.

So the season so far is us being thoroughly mediocre at even strength (offensively and defensively), and very good on special teams.

Not quite re 5v5. They've been bottom 10 in a bunch of defensive categories (CA/60, FA/60, SA/60 and SCA/60) but top 10 in the same categories offensively. So, offensively they've been top-10ish, defensively they've been near the bottom of the pile.

It looks worse using xG. They're 2nd xGF, 30th xGA. That suggests real gud offensively, suckitude defensively.

No offence and nothing personal but too many posts complaining about Babcock IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Babcock certainly was right the other day when he said "every team in the NHL can beat you, if you aren't there to compete.

Not quite re 5v5. They've been bottom 10 in a bunch of defensive categories (CA/60, FA/60, SA/60 and SCA/60) but top 10 in the same categories offensively. So, offensively they've been top-10ish, defensively they've been near the bottom of the pile.

It looks worse using xG. They're 2nd xGF, 30th xGA. That suggests real gud offensively, suckitude defensively.

also suggests we play a high event system, which increases both scoring chances for and against. I'm not sure if it is more one than the other, most likely a mixture of both.

I think we likely both agree though that defensively there is room for improvement, but I lump the forwards in with the D in saying the whole team can perform better as a unit.

we also need to figure out Kadri's line. if Willy signs it is probably easier, but until then, something has got to give.

I would like to see Marleau bumped down to Naz' line, they seemed to gel together quite effectively last year. Marleau is pretty clearly not a good fit with Matty; I don't think he has the reaction time or skill to keep up with him currently. at the same time, it is still really early. Marleau could just need a month or so to get going.

Back