• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes @ Red Wings 10/22 ... 7:30 Eastern

I'm absolutely 100% behind getting Wallmark and Svech another more skilled winger. Just flopping McGinn and Martinook would be a good start or even Zykov and Martinook (let Zykov play LW and Svech RW). Now that its Bishop at center, there is no reason to try to pretend that the 4th line is going to be high danger offensively. Make the 3rd line better, you are not really going to hurt the 4th line in the process.

I understand not wanting to have Wallmark and Svech without some veteran protection, but that doesn't have to be Martinook. Put McGinn out there instead.

I'm absolutely 100% behind getting Wallmark and Svech another more skilled winger. Just flopping McGinn and Martinook would be a good start or even Zykov and Martinook (let Zykov play LW and Svech RW). Now that its Bishop at center, there is no reason to try to pretend that the 4th line is going to be high danger offensively. Make the 3rd line better, you are not really going to hurt the 4th line in the process.

I understand not wanting to have Wallmark and Svech without some veteran protection, but that doesn't have to be Martinook. Put McGinn out there instead.

Yeah ... that's where the idea popped into my head. McGinn provides a bit of "veteran" protection to those kids but offers a more consistent offensive threat than Martinook. Not to bag on Martinook, who has been awesome value for money so far. He's just not a guy who will follow up a hustle play to gain possession with a nifty pass to an open linemate. That's just not in his bag of tricks.

I was plenty nervous 17 minutes into the game when the Canes hadn't scored a goal after 15 minutes of domination and Detroit was suddenly getting breakaway and odd man rushes.

I was right there with you Cmal, we have all watched far too many Canes games where that total domination and no goals has killed this team far too many times before.

Don't get me wrong, for the most part they played a dominating game and played well but what really is concerning is the fact that despite totally controlling that game for two periods to a point of almost embarrassing the Red Wings, how on earth do you still find yourself almost in a 2-2 game heading to overtime? You must finish those grade A chances and take a bigger lead when opportunity presents itself like last night. That game really should have been 5-0 Canes after 2 when you base it on scoring chances, puck possession and overall work ethic.

While I was nervous in that 3rd period, not wanting to see the Canes blow control of a game, I really tried to change my mindset-- not hoping to win, but expecting to win. Expecting the guys to close out the deal, to show tenacity and to play like their coach did. I didn't trust it during the game, but once we won, I like how I felt-- good play about a good game from an up and coming team versus a sense of relief.

Back