• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes @ Red Wings 10/22 ... 7:30 Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Carolina is back on the road for a Monday trip to the Motor City to lock horns with the Red Wings, who finally got off the schneid with their first win of the season on Saturday. Having dropped 3 in a row after a hot start, the Canes come in happy to see the team stats for their opponents, as Detroit ranks last in the NHL in goals against and 25th in goals scored. Of course, nothing is that simple as the Canes horrific special teams are going to be tested by the Wings who are top 10 in the league on both the power play and penalty killing.

Apparently weekend practice yielded no real roster or line shakeups for Carolina, but we'll see what shakes out from morning skates. I'd expect Mrazek in net, but after that ... whatever. Just go play better team hockey and see what happens.

GDT: Canes @ Red Wings 10/22 7:30

The Canes try to end a 3 game slide against the worst team in the league.

The Canes worked on the PP at practice yesterday and changed around the personnel. After Saturday’s futility, it’s now DFL at 6.8% with 3 goals in 44 chances. The PK remains last at 65.4%. There were no lineup changes at practice with PDG as the only extra on the roster.

The Red Wings won their first game of the season on Saturday, beating Florida in OT. They’re tied with Arizona with 4 points but the ‘Yotes have 2 wins. The Wings also sport a league worst -17 goal differential with 19 scored and 36 allowed. Their 4.38 goals against per game is also worst in the league. Their special teams are top 10 though, with the PP at 28% and the PK at 84.8%. Dylan Larkin leads with 4 goals and is tied with Gus Nyquist with 7 points. Nyquist has 6 assists. Jimmy Howard has played 6 games and is 3.43/.898 while Jonathan Bernier has played 3 games and is 5.07/.833.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

No lineup changes. Mrazek starts against his old team.

Referees:
Graham Skilliter #24, Kelly Sutherland #11
Linesmen:
Scott Cherrey #50, Travis Gawryletz #67

Canes had a terrible record with the 2 refs last season, going 1-3 with Skilliter and 0-4 with Sutherland

This is an important game for Canes, one they should win and most importantly, need to win to point this ship in the right direction.

This is an important game for Canes, one they should win and most importantly, need to win to point this ship in the right direction.

Agree on all counts.. I just hope they don't lay an egg. Also for the special teams to be a little less "special."
And to not try and mimic the Carolina Panthers by waiting until the third period (4th quarter) to try and win the game.

Meh. Hard to put too much weight on a game on the road in October. Yeah, it would be really good if they could snap that 3 game losing streak ... especially in Detroit against a not great opponent. But it's early days and maybe just not looking like limp dishrags like they did Saturday against the Avs would be a good starting point.

Gotta love that effort by Slavin on the EN goal.

Slavin was a quiet monster the whole game. I lost count of how many stick plays he made to break up the Wings in the offensive zone. He's simiply amazing and does it all without any fanfare. I thought Justin Faulk had his best game of the season and many other players were playing at the top of their game. We controlled the play through the first two periods (actually dominated the second), but I was shaking like Jerry Lee Lewis during the final few minutes. Good game for Mrazek and the defense around him. And did I meniton that Slavin played great?

Justin Faulk in net to cover for a sprawled Mr. Azek is something that I'm here for. That was a pretty intense spot of hockey, right there.

Slavin was a quiet monster the whole game. I lost count of how many stick plays he made to break up the Wings in the offensive zone. He's simiply amazing and does it all without any fanfare. I thought Justin Faulk had his best game of the season and many other players were playing at the top of their game. We controlled the play through the first two periods (actually dominated the second), but I was shaking like Jerry Lee Lewis during the final few minutes. Good game for Mrazek and the defense around him. And did I meniton that Slavin played great?
^+1

Nice to see this game. That's hockey, baby!

I was plenty nervous 17 minutes into the game when the Canes hadn't scored a goal after 15 minutes of domination and Detroit was suddenly getting breakaway and odd man rushes.

I will take back what I said after the first game about Ferland...the guy is an absolute perfect fit with Aho and Teravainen. Good on the Canes management for recognizing him as a player worth going after. And good on him for seizing opportunities. You look at his stats over his first 4 pro seasons and nothing at all would ever tell you that this guy has some offensive skills. He has good enough speed, has some pretty darn good hands, and is willing to get into the 'dirty areas'. Many players who get pegged early on as 3rd or 4th liners never really get an opportunity to prove they are anything more than that. For those that do get an opportunity, the window to prove themselves is often very small. Ferland got that chance last year and took advantage. The Canes are giving him that same faith this year and he is rewarding them. He's going to turn these 2 seasons into a pretty nice contract for himself in a walk year if he continues on this pace. The question is going to be is he really a 25 goal 50 point top 6 guy or will he turn into Matt Beleskey once he gets paid?

The Canes continue to be on record setting shots and shot differential paces. Eventually things will start to 'even out' but so far as individuals after 9 games:

Dougie Hamilton is on pace to take 355 shots (eventually some of these will go in)

Micheal Ferland is on pace to take 328 shots

Jordan Staal is on pace to take 237 shots (he has never taken more than 165 with the Canes)

10 Canes players are currently on pace to take 200 shots or more...the above 3 and Faulk, Williams, Svech, Foegele, Aho, Slavin and....Martinook!!! (season high is 112)

Will be interesting to see how this plays against a team like SJ....

Good win. They got their effort level ramped back up right out of the gate, which is I'm sure what Brindy made priority one for this one. Somehow or another they've got to start converting a higher percentage of the quality chances though, because that long stretch of domination early could easily have led to the Canes going into the break down a goal or tied 1-1 and that would have been well out of line with what was happening on the ice. By my loose count, they had 6 or 8 really good chances before they eventually scored, and maybe 4 of those were good enough that I was actually upset at the eventual shooter for not burying the puck. Howard played well, but not that bloody well. Finish guys ... finish.

Thoughts on trends ...

Power play ... little bit of personnel shake-up, but they pretty much stuck to the same patterns with one dedicated point man and fluidity otherwise. I like that this gives you a second guy in the crease from time to time, but do not like that only Ferland and Zykov seem to be both willing AND effective in that position. I'd really love to see one of the other more rough and tumble guys (Foegele, Martinook, maybe McGinn) get some PP time to see if we can't find another effective crease crasher. Either way ... 2 PP markers, so not complaining so much as thinking out loud.

Penalty Kill ... hidden in Detroit's crappy start is a pretty effective first power play unit and I thought the Canes did a pretty good job of killing off penalties by dialing back the point pressure a notch. We chased less and kept to a more disciplined box and it let them build some confidence to then take a few chances jumping into lanes. Good changes by the staff on the kill. They also clearly bore down on blocking shots on the kill and did a good job on that all game ... McGinn in particular but he wasn't the only one.

Hamilton ... while he's clearly getting more comfortable working with Slavin as a partner, he's reached the territory where he starting to look (and maybe feel) a bit snake-bit shooting the puck. He's the kind of guy that when he finally gets one of those bombs to go in, they'll come in bunches. We could use that boost right now.

3rd line ... as Wallmark and especially Svechnikov get more and more comfortable, Martinook is starting to slow down that line a bit. He's fine and he's killing himself out there, but they are getting to the point where somebody with a little bit more offense to their game would round out that line and help the other two find a bit more room to create and finish. I'm thinking McGinn might be a better long term fit on that line and that Martinook would be more comfortable playing the kind of hockey that Bishop seems to want to play. Remember, for this team to really over-achieve, we need Svechnikov well in the 20s in goals scored and right now he's at a 18-ish goal pace. He's playing well (although he needs to work on the dumb reaching penalties) but we need better than "well" ... more like a nice medium rare.

Defense ... still not loving that third pairing. Pesce is on form, but TVR still has 4-5 bobbles per game playing on his off side and he's TVR ... so "meh" is the ceiling. Here's hoping Fleury gets his head together down in Charlotte because I think he fixes this issue eventually ... so long as he's here to follow instructions and stick to his role.

Last edited:
Good assessment, JB. It looks like Svechnikov is getting stronger along the boards and is playing a much more physical game, but he does need to curb his overreaching, which leads to some stupid penalties. I'm not as cool on TVR, however. He's playing a pretty reliable game and doesn't make a lot of dumb mistakes. I agree his ceiling potential may not be all that high, but when paired with a decent partner he's not going to create problems, either.

Good assessment, JB. It looks like Svechnikov is getting stronger along the boards and is playing a much more physical game, but he does need to curb his overreaching, which leads to some stupid penalties. I'm not as cool on TVR, however. He's playing a pretty reliable game and doesn't make a lot of dumb mistakes. I agree his ceiling potential may not be all that high, but when paired with a decent partner he's not going to create problems, either.

To be clear on TVR ... I think his level of play is perfectly acceptable, and that the mistakes he makes are almost entirely due to spending too much time on his off side. Maybe he'll get used to it over time and cut down on the turnovers under pressure, maybe not. But again ... for me, the upside with him isn't all that great so I don't see the point of playing him on his off side IF there's another option. Right now there isn't.

Back