• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Ex-Canes Thread?

Skinner tied with 3 others leading the league in plus/minus is hilarious. 14 goals so far....makes you wonder what he could have done in Carolina with a true #1 center like Eichel.

Jeremy White, who is a radio host in Buffalo, tweeted that a source told him that Skinner is looking for 8 years, $9-9.5 million per.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremywgr/status/1064477908541087745

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A source huh? If there is ANY truth to that (and I suspect there isn't) and anywhere near those numbers were floated at all to the Canes current management that somewhat explains why we seemed so anxious to get rid of Skinner for the 'best offer' before the season even began. That is $2.5 million per too high and 3 seasons too long.

Jeremy White, who is a radio host in Buffalo, tweeted that a source told him that Skinner is looking for 8 years, $9-9.5 million per.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremywgr/status/1064477908541087745

Like I mentioned in an earlier post on this subject, it almost would be a relief to see Skinner cash in elsewhere in July. He is doing what he had hoped for in a best case scenario, play with Eichel on a top line, scores lots of goals and then get some team to overpay in free agency on a 7-8 year deal.

That is what Skinner is asking for from Buffalo to forgo UFA (supposedly). To put that in perspective, let me present this list 3 man list:

Patrick Kane
Alex Ovechkin
Jaime Benn

Those are the only current NHL wingers who have a cap hit of $9 million or greater. Good luck Jeff, no one is going to pay you more than $7.5 million a year and you will be hard pressed to find even that deal without ending up in Vancouver or staying in Buffalo.

That is what Skinner is asking for from Buffalo to forgo UFA (supposedly). To put that in perspective, let me present this list 3 man list:

Patrick Kane
Alex Ovechkin
Jaime Benn

Those are the only current NHL wingers who have a cap hit of $9 million or greater. Good luck Jeff, no one is going to pay you more than $7.5 million a year and you will be hard pressed to find even that deal without ending up in Vancouver or staying in Buffalo.

And then you have a guy like Voracek who's making $8.25M long term and who's putting up 20-25 goals and 70-80 points, and he signed several years ago. Also, it's not necessarily the absolute number that's relevant but also the percentage of cap space that it eats. That's a fancy way of saying you have to consider cap inflation. I'm not saying he's going to get that cash. He probably won't. It's also probably just a negotiating opening position. What I am saying is that your point that the only wingers making that kind of money are Kane, AO and Benn is not the whole story.

Look ... you ask for 9 looking to settle for 8. That's how this stuff works. But if the Sabres are feeding this stuff to the press in Buffalo (likely), then they're aren't in the mood for negotiating. Skinner's probably going to end up on the market where he can find out what he's actually worth. My guess is that he'll either end up taking a shave on the annual paycheck from a contender or he'll end up getting something in the $8 million range from a 2nd tier team with ambitions. Depends on his appetite. Proven scoring wings don't hit the market all that often, so he's going to get offers. Lots of them.

Look ... you ask for 9 looking to settle for 8. That's how this stuff works. But if the Sabres are feeding this stuff to the press in Buffalo (likely), then they're aren't in the mood for negotiating. Skinner's probably going to end up on the market where he can find out what he's actually worth. My guess is that he'll either end up taking a shave on the annual paycheck from a contender or he'll end up getting something in the $8 million range from a 2nd tier team with ambitions. Depends on his appetite. Proven scoring wings don't hit the market all that often, so he's going to get offers. Lots of them.

Skinner seems to be in a good place in Buffalo, playing with a top 5-7 center. I think it would be in everyone's best interest to find a number that works for both parties. Otherwise Skinner is going to end up making $8M per elsewhere on a bad team. It will be Skinner on Carolina V2 in another place like Vancouver or Montreal. Buffalo has a nice young roster with high end talent...make it work.

The problem in Buffalo for Skinner is going to be the term. They have to think about budget with Eichel, Okposo and Ristolainen eating up $23+ million between them for a number of years and Dahlin needing to be signed to a real contract in the next 2-3 years. If Dahlin ends up around $8 mil, then there's likely no room for another big number, long term contract. He might be a great fit and they might love him, but if he sticks to his guns on the length of the deal he wants AND he wants $8-9 million ... it likely won't come from the Sabres.

In a triumvirate of ex-Canes, Hockey Canada named Kevin Dineen as head coach and Sean Burke and Ron Francis as co-GMs for the Spengler Cup

Skinner had yet another OT game winner tonight for Buffalo. Thanks for the crap coaching Bill Peters!

Skinner had yet another OT game winner tonight for Buffalo. Thanks for the crap coaching Bill Peters!

Amazing what happens when guys like that actually play in OT. Peters and the 2 D OT lineups will always kill me. By the way, Skinner is tied for the league lead in goals.

In a triumvirate of ex-Canes, Hockey Canada named Kevin Dineen as head coach and Sean Burke and Ron Francis as co-GMs for the Spengler Cup

If the Spengler Cup is played between Christmas and New Year's, isn't that the same time frame as IIHF World Juniors? So it's like it's a consolation tournament for all the Canadian Juniors not picked for the big show? Strange.

If the Spengler Cup is played between Christmas and New Year's, isn't that the same time frame as IIHF World Juniors? So it's like it's a consolation tournament for all the Canadian Juniors not picked for the big show? Strange.

The Spengler Cup is not limited to juniors, and the rosters generally are not juniors IIRC. For the most part, they draw from different pools of players.

The Spengler Cup is not limited to juniors, and the rosters generally are not juniors IIRC. For the most part, they draw from different pools of players.

Are the Euro Leagues dormant during this time? I could see getting Canadian players from these leagues. Why doesn't the USA field a team?

Are the Euro Leagues dormant during this time? I could see getting Canadian players from these leagues. Why doesn't the USA field a team?

It's an invitational tournament hosted by HC Davos. It includes club and national teams. Team USA hasn't played in it for decades, although--interestingly--the Rochester Americans of the AHL have sent a team a couple of times.

Back