• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Ex-Canes Thread?

CarolinaPen

I know we sorta joked about having a thread to follow/complain/support all the ex-Canes heading into this year but I think it is a good idea due to all the changes on this team. It would be good to have a place to enjoy discussing what the ex-guys are doing....or continuing not to do.

-- I can kick it off by saying I REALLY enjoyed watching a Bill Peters team get smoked 9-1 tonight. That team has more talent than the current 5-5 record indicates and I will be curious to see if he can survive not making the playoffs this year, if that is how it turns out in Calgary. I was never a Peters fan....and that is an understatement.

-- Lindholm and Hanifin are each playing well in Calgary....in spite of Peters coaching effort! I am glad to see that.

-- Skinner is having a good year so far in Buffalo. Through 10 games he has 5G and 5A to click in at a point per game. The most unbelievable part is he is a Plus 8!

-- With Crawford now back, Cam Ward should be relegated back to the backup role. He posted a 4.23 GAA and .885 save percentage in his time filling in. I was actually hoping he would do better in Chicago, but it appears his best days are way behind him. Cam was always a good guy, regardless of his performance.

Skinner has done most of his damage over the last 4 games. He has 4g, 4a including a hat trick on Saturday and 3 assists last night.

I saw a tweet last night that Ryan was headed to healthy scratch-ville, he didn’t play last night. And in typical Bill Peters fashion, the Flames outshot the Pens 39-36

Skinner has done most of his damage over the last 4 games. He has 4g, 4a including a hat trick on Saturday and 3 assists last night.

This is really vintage Skinner...streaky to the extreme.

Marcus Kruger has 2 goals in 10 games and is +3 for Chicago. Apparently he just can't play anywhere else in the NHL

Joakim Nordstrom has 2 goals in 9 games and is +1 for Boston. He actually was playing on Boston's 2nd line with Krejci and DeBrusk for a bit.

Riley Nash got paid by Columbus after putting up great numbers for the Bruins last season. 1 assist and 43.3% in the circle so far.....

Last edited:
Cam was getting absolutely roasted by Blackhawks fans and internet media early this season. Not sure what they expected from him, but what they got was classic early season Cam Ward. He's been good early in a season maybe 2 or 3 times in a long career. Sadly for them, with Crawford out they needed him to be good early. I mean ... I say "sadly", but I don't really care other than I'd like for Cam to go gracefully into retirement.

Cam was getting absolutely roasted by Blackhawks fans and internet media early this season. Not sure what they expected from him, but what they got was classic early season Cam Ward. He's been good early in a season maybe 2 or 3 times in a long career. Sadly for them, with Crawford out they needed him to be good early. I mean ... I say "sadly", but I don't really care other than I'd like for Cam to go gracefully into retirement.

Yeah, Cam has not been very good so far, but here's the difference when your team can score goals...he's 3-1-2 for Chicago. Any team that can earn eight points every six games is a playoff team!

... And in typical Bill Peters fashion, the Flames outshot the Pens 39-36

I watched the game....it really was "classic" Bill Peters hockey. They outplayed the Penguins in the 1st period AND were down 3-0. It got worse from there. Timely mistakes and mental breakdowns are hallmarks of a Bill Peters team!

Eric Staal after two very good, if not great seasons in Minny, is back to a relatively pedestrian start. I wonder if he is bored already in Minnesota? When he is properly motivated, he is a hall of fame caliber player. Problem is he seems to struggle with focus over an extended period of time.

If he plays a somewhat productive 2 more years after this current one, he should end up with 450+ goals and 1200+ points. Does that put him in the HOF?

If he plays a somewhat productive 2 more years after this current one, he should end up with 450+ goals and 1200+ points. Does that put him in the HOF?

Nope, not while Rod Brind'Amour (452 goals 1184 points) is not in. I don't think Eric Staal's stats alone are enough to get him into the HHOF and he has pretty much zero intangibles to help his cause.

Nope, not while Rod Brind'Amour (452 goals 1184 points) is not in. I don't think Eric Staal's stats alone are enough to get him into the HHOF and he has pretty much zero intangibles to help his cause.

Agree. Eric's one Cup win just doesn't elevate what were solid but not spectacular point totals pretty much throughout his career. He was a point per game player 2 times in his career, both relatively early in his career in a relatively open era. From there he's been really good, but not great and that generally won't get you into a Hall of Fame without backing it up with a bunch of hardware.

Agree, Brindy should be in before Staal. Found this site when looking around - http://www.notinhalloffame.com/hockey

Rod is #49 in waiting list which seems too far down compared to some names ahead of him. I don't know how often the site is updated or how credible the information is.

I am surprised Mogilny isn't in there. He had some incredible years before injuries took hold and also was first Russian player to defect. He was money in NHL 92-94 Sega era!! Unstoppable in the wrap around!

It's criminal that Mogilny is still waiting to get in, IMO.

As for Brindy, it's also criminal just how little weight defensive play is given by the Hall of Fame selectors ... even among the defensemen, and that part of the job requirements is in the bloody name of the position for crying out loud.

That’s 8 years after he “retired” from the Canes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what happens when our former players with talent are suddenly playing with elite level skill on top lines. Svech would probably have 20 points or more already if he was getting the playing time and linemates Skinner and Elias Lindholm are enjoying. Neither Skinner or Lindholm would be doing crap for us.

Back