• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Sharks 10/26 at 7:30 Eastern

Very entertaining game to watch on TV. For those in attendance, what was the crowd like?

We had a decent-sized crowd tonight and except for the dismal 1st period, the fans got plenty loud in appreciation of the Canes performance in the 2nd, 3rd, OT and SO. Even when not scoring, it was great feeling the energy on the ice and in the stands. It's been a long time since I've seen that.

Officially 12,311 tonight. It was pretty loud. There was a stretch in the 3rd of maybe 5-6 shifts where the Sharks couldn’t cross the red line. Foegele did everything but score, if Martinook didn’t have Craig Adams’ hands, he’d have had a pair. And Faulk maintained his 1.000 Save % with a big save in the 2nd. Hamilton caught a deflection on his goal but maybe that’s the one that gets him going; he was flying tonight.

The most fun I’ve had in that building in a while. The small crowd and the Canes’ crappy start made the place feel like a morgue in the first period, but when the boys showed up to kick off the second, the crowd was loud.

What impressed me most was the play of our high forwards in the offensive zone. They created a ridiculous number of turnovers, giving the Sharks fits when trying to get of their zone.

Big win tonight. I know the Pens have two games in hand, but it’s pretty sweet to see us atop the Metropolitan standings ten games in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best thing is how in the past, I would watch other NHL games and ask myself "why aren't the Canes games this intense"? That isn't the case anymore. I saw them scan the bench when it was 3-1 and you just knew they were coming back. Everyone is engaged and lots of chirping amongst themselves. It's refreshing, and after years of malaise, just this side of startling.

Svech is looking stronger with each game. While I'd like to see what he can do with some top-line forwards, it's hard to argue right now with Brindy's strategy for bringing him along.

I'm also enjoying the creativity at the PNC post-game victory celebrations. I'm sure many purists would be appalled, but from a home fan's perspective, it's fanatastic. Last night, many fans were joining the players in their rhythmic applause.

Thoughts on that win over the Sharks:

Terrible first period ... honestly, that's about as bad as the Canes have looked for an extended stretch this season. Speculative passing, slow reactions, poor positioning on defense and in the breakouts when the Sharks futzed around and let us have the puck ... and Mrazek topped it off by being his hyperactive worst. Over-reacting and flailing around aimlessly when calm was required. The miracle is that they only built a 2 goal lead. It could well have been 4 ... probably should have been. The first line was horrible, just barfing up turnovers. The Staal line was barely keeping it together against Little Joe's line. Hamilton was maybe as bad as I've seen him ... trying stretch pass after stretch pass to nobody in particular and going off on wild unsupported offensive forays ... Slavin shooting him daggers the whole time as he desperately tried to cover. Roy looked like a 13 year old kid we suited up for emergency duty. McGinn and Martinook were pretty much the only bright spots, purely for their effort level. It was bad.

And then ... holy crap, but Brindy must have lit them up in the room in that first intermission. They came out a new team. They started to skate and built their game through possession instead of trying for home run passes. All four lines started to chip in with dangerous shifts and they even got right back on their game after giving up yet another PP goal on a truly disorganized kill ... lot of work left to do on THAT, for the record. Mrazek settled down once the Canes started to tilt the ice and responded with some really good stops. By the end of the period the Sharks looked as crappy as the Canes had in the first. It was like watching slow motion sporting whiplash. Tremendously entertaining but a steady stream of it might leave you in permanent therapy.

And then the third period, although goalless, was sublime, delicate, high level stuff from both teams. THAT was what the Corsi nerds were talking about when they were hyping up this pairing. EVERYBODY was in on the act. All four lines and all three pairings for both teams were sharp and focused. There was flow throughout and both teams took a mighty swing at the win. Just brilliant stuff. OT was just about as good. In the end it was kind of fitting that they had to settle it with penalty shots. What a weird game. You end up leaving the building floating on air because of the way it ended, but the first two periods will demand a bit of attention in practice for both coaches, I'm sure.

Svech is looking stronger with each game. While I'd like to see what he can do with some top-line forwards, it's hard to argue right now with Brindy's strategy for bringing him along.

His game away from the puck is improving by leaps and bounds. He's even starting to use his size for something other than retaliation and self defense, as I noticed him shoulder wedging guys off the puck on the regular last night. I've noticed that that stuff seems to be the last part of the game to come on line for a lot of the higher end Russian forwards ... even when they're producing points on top lines on good teams. I'm fine with him remaining under-utilized for awhile, so long as he's making progress in the basics that will support his play once he's asked to take on more responsibility.

Last edited:
On Svechnikov, he’s playing on the 3rd line. If you want to swap lines, which of Foegele, Williams, Turbo or Ferland are you going to move?

It has been years since we've seen this kind of hockey-- years! Last night's game was F-U-N! Sure the Canes were flat coming out, but they caught their breath and came back and pushed back hard. No longer are we looking at a team that can win, we have a team that expects to win. I like all the challenges Brindy is throwing at these guys and their responses, so if Svechnikov has to play less minutes to hone his game, I'm good with that. I don't want to be the team (see EDM) that wastes talent by overslotting guys who haven't developed their game or lack the fundamentals required to play in the NHL.

I will note that there were times JWillie was coming off the ice looking slow and completely gassed. I was a bit surprised the Brindy went with JW on the shoot out, but I guess you want your captain to be the one to shoulder the game. Best overtime I've seen in YEARS-- what fun and what pace. Wish Foegele scored, but alas, nice to have confidence in your goalie!

I wish Foegele had scored in the OT, too. But man, he was a human wrecking ball out there - in a good way. It's great to see that passion on the ice.

Or will our joint Corsi Against powers suppress each team's normally high Corsi For events down to just a normal hockey game? :sarcasm

Regardless, I do believe we will be in for a fun and good hockey game tonight.

Good measuring stick.

Go Canes!

Shots/GP (10 GP): 41.7 (Carolina) vs. 36.6 (San Jose)

Shots last night: 41 (Carolina) vs. 28 (San Jose)

CF% (Percentage of Corsi For events vs. opponents while on ice) last night: 61.1 (Carolina) vs. 38.9 (San Jose)

Conclusion:

Our Corsi For > Their Corsi Against

Our Corsi Against > Their Corsi For

I will add that the one thing I was disappointed with last night was Roy...he looked a little lost out there and made a few sloppy plays in the defensive zone that led to turnovers.

Conclusion:

Our Corsi For > Their Corsi Against

Our Corsi Against > Their Corsi For

In a shootout ... after a dead even draw.

So, Our Corsi Against = Their Corsi For ... where it matters. On the scoreboard. In regulation when they were actually playing hockey.

I will add that the one thing I was disappointed with last night was Roy...he looked a little lost out there and made a few sloppy plays in the defensive zone that led to turnovers.

In the first period you can go ahead and call a spade a spade ... he was completely lost and physically overwhelmed. He played his way into the game a bit by the time Brindy pretty much ended his evening in the middle of the 3rd, but Roy has a LONG way to go before he's of any real use to the big club. Bishop may be limited, but what he does translates to the NHL. Roy, not so much.

Back